Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #41
OlForder

M.O.C. #30151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
...I am sure it is done properly with an impact wrench torqued in three steps.
Can you explain the "three steps"? I'll be using the ol' fashioned tried-n-true lug wrench method. Also, are you suggesting we set the 16k pound trailer on 4 jackstands and leave it in the driveway? Do you think that's safe?
ps - my driveway is long enough and not sloped, so that's not an issue.

OlForder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:12 PM   #42
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I believe what Carl is referring to is in the Keystone Montana Owners Manual Page 24.
See for details. You can download it from Keystone.
https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-manuals
You torque the lug nuts in sequence (star pattern) and to a sequentially higher torque level for each stage.

Wheel lug torque:

** 1/2" STUD is 110-120 ft/lbs. MINE
9/16" STUD is 140-150 ft/lbs
NOTE: The NUT on the 1/2" STUD takes a 3/4" socket!!!

I noticed my lug nuts are stenciled.

As for the knuckle dragging gorilla over torquing the lug nuts, long time ago I had my tires balanced and rotated. Sometime after that I got a flat. When I went to remove the tire I broke 3 studs off. They had been over torqued.

The last two times I balanced my trailer tires, I used the hydraulic system levelers to raise the whole thing up. Block the frame, then pulled the tires and took them to the shop to get them balanced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel lug torque.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	11263  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:30 PM   #43
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Wheel lug torque:

What Daryles said above ^^^^^^^

P.S. The lug nuts on my 1/2" Studs are 7/8". I just bought a new socket for them!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:32 AM   #44
OlForder

M.O.C. #30151
Talking

Quote:
I believe what Carl is referring to is in the Keystone Montana Owners Manual Page 24.
You torque the lug nuts in sequence (star pattern) and to a sequentially higher torque level for each stage.

Wheel lug torque:

As for the knuckle dragging gorilla over torquing the lug nuts, long time ago I had my tires balanced and rotated. Sometime after that I got a flat. When I went to remove the tire I broke 3 studs off. They had been over torqued.

The last two times I balanced my trailer tires, I used the hydraulic system levelers to raise the whole thing up. Block the frame, then pulled the tires and took them to the shop to get them balanced.
Thanks Daryles; great info.

I have to admit that after thumbing through all the literature we received when we bought our 2021 MHC, I finally thumbed through the "Owner's Manual". After a snicker and a chuckle, I stowed it in the trailer never to be looked at again, until today. Who knew?
Old 02-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #45
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

Wheel lug torque:

I don't deal with tire shops anymore then I have to . They never get to see my fifth wheel ,just the tires ,and wheels . My truck , I usually buy from the same place ,they do get to mount ,and balance my new tires , with me standing over them . As far as rotating they never see the truck again ,I do the rotation .

An interesting thing I got told years ago, when I did take my truck into the shop for tire rotation ,and balance . The guy asked me , do your tires NEED balancing again ,and I said I assumed they were supposed to be. He said does it feel like a tire is out of balance ,and I said no everything seems fine . He said then leave them alone , we will just rotate . I can't remember the last time I have had a set tires rebalanced after the initial install. Just rotated .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:46 PM   #46
Jerry & Joan

M.O.C. #30399
We have 5 (including spare) on a new Montana. Four calls to Sailum dealers today. Three stated not purchased here, we can’t help you. By the way, the recall states any Sailum dealer will honor recall. Fourth stated, the couldn’t get any replacements from the warehouse and no date when available. Working with dealer and Keystone. This isn’t going to be a quick fix.
Jerry & Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:04 PM   #47
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry@ilovervlife View Post
We have 5 (including spare) on a new Montana. Four calls to Sailum dealers today. Three stated not purchased here, we can’t help you. By the way, the recall states any Sailum dealer will honor recall. Fourth stated, the couldn’t get any replacements from the warehouse and no date when available. Working with dealer and Keystone. This isn’t going to be a quick fix.
I assume you checked the Date Code and your tires are in the affected range (2020 through 4120)? What Plant Code is on your existing tires? The recall is for Sailuns manufactured in Vietnam (Code 1YJ). Montana had been using Sailuns from China which are not part of the recall.

You don't need to (and shouldn't) deal with a Montana dealer. Any tire place that carries Sailuns will do the recall exchange.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:30 PM   #48
Jerry & Joan

M.O.C. #30399
All 5 fall in the codes recalled. The dealers called today would not honor the recall. Stated since the tires weren’t purchased from them, they wouldn’t replace. One dealer stated the warehouse didn’t have the tires and no date for availability. At this point, the Montana is 3 weeks from purchase. Should have never left the lot with these tires.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:50 PM   #49
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry@ilovervlife View Post
All 5 fall in the codes recalled. The dealers called today would not honor the recall. Stated since the tires weren’t purchased from them, they wouldn’t replace. One dealer stated the warehouse didn’t have the tires and no date for availability. At this point, the Montana is 3 weeks from purchase. Should have never left the lot with these tires.
Email Kara at kroberts@tbccorp.com. She will hook you up. TBC handles Sailun.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:54 PM   #50
OlForder

M.O.C. #30151
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Email Kara at kroberts@tbccorp.com. She will hook you up. TBC handles Sailun.
Yes, Kara was very helpful and allowed me to purchase replacement Sailuns. All I needed to do is send the purchase receipt to TBC/Sailun for refund, including mounting and balancing.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:52 AM   #51
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlForder View Post
Yes, Kara was very helpful and allowed me to purchase replacement Sailuns. All I needed to do is send the purchase receipt to TBC/Sailun for refund, including mounting and balancing.
I agree, deal with TBC directly. I was having an issue with the place I got my tires taking care of the replacement. Contacted TBC and they had me order from Simple Tire and helped me find a place to due the swap. I had to put our the money and submit photos of each tire being replaced, copy of the original invoice, copy of the Simple tire invoice and a copy of the new installation invoice. After i submitted everything, it took about 2 weeks to get a check. I got my check before the credit card bill was due, so I really had no money tied up. As far as I was concerned, it was really easy after connecting with TBC.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:14 AM   #52
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Kara gave me a list of TBC dealers, first one called had tires in stock and I got them switched quickly.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:48 AM   #53
Jerry & Joan

M.O.C. #30399
Thanks JDDilly. I’ve contacted Kara at TBC. She’s emailed back. We’ll see where this goes. We’re at some disadvantage since these were part of the Montana purchase from a few weeks ago. Hopefully there’s a process where the tires were part of the 5th wheel sale. Good news is your the send response sharing TBC’s willingness to resolve.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:11 PM   #54
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry & Joan View Post
Thanks JDDilly. I’ve contacted Kara at TBC. She’s emailed back. We’ll see where this goes. We’re at some disadvantage since these were part of the Montana purchase from a few weeks ago. Hopefully there’s a process where the tires were part of the 5th wheel sale. Good news is your the send response sharing TBC’s willingness to resolve.
Should not make any difference. I was never asked where I bought the tires or for a receipt.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:23 PM   #55
Jerry & Joan

M.O.C. #30399
We making progress. We now have a fleet dealer who has tires. Only open issue is they have not be provided how they will reimbursed for the replacement. Have them and Kara working on the issue. Maybe able to close this out soon.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:10 PM   #56
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry & Joan View Post
We making progress. We now have a fleet dealer who has tires. Only open issue is they have not be provided how they will reimbursed for the replacement. Have them and Kara working on the issue. Maybe able to close this out soon.
I actually got my issue "kicked upstairs" to this guy who called the local Big O dealer to help me get it taken care of.
He sent me an email as a follow up. You could contact him if you hit more roadblocks...

Scott T. Davis
Senior Manager of Quality Assurance
1000 TBC Way
Rossville, TN 38066
Direct: 901-541-3628
Cell: 901-833-3702
Old 02-27-2022, 01:53 PM   #57
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
i’m pretty sure my trailer has the 7000 pound axles which are half inch studs, so then 110 to 120 pounds of torque?
I’m at the Big O tire store now getting the tires swapped out and that’s what I told the guy here, pretty sure that’s correct. Can someone verify?
kingdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:45 PM   #58
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Your torque is correct. You can confirm in your owners manual.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:50 PM   #59
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
i’m pretty sure my trailer has the 7000 pound axles which are half inch studs, so then 110 to 120 pounds of torque?
I’m at the Big O tire store now getting the tires swapped out and that’s what I told the guy here, pretty sure that’s correct. Can someone verify?
Yes, look at your lug nuts. Mine had 1/2 stenciled on them.
See post # 42 above.
Don't let them use an impact driver. They will over torque them.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote