Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
KS/ NE High Winds and Fenders

FYI: Driving through NE and KS on way home from SD via the Rally (4 weeks on the road now coming to a close), I looked out towing mirror to see the fairing and fender come flying off on 283 heading S through KS winds! Luckily, I carry self tapping screws and a cordless drill to do roadside repair. The fender was lost, but thanks to Keystone Rep Julie Davidsen, I was supplied with a fender while at the rally. That came in real handy to replace the fender I lost in the wind. I have been replacing the fender screws with washers and oversized sheet metal screws regularly, but in this case, the winds contributed to metal fatigue on an aluminum support bar inside the fender well and that was all she wrote!
Safe travels,
Max

PS - it would be nice if the fairings were placed deeper in the groove beneath the aluminum that is supposed to hold them in place!

Click image for larger version

Name:	C2AD2DE3-DD7A-4678-BC5B-39FACE9BC4D6.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	4763

Click image for larger version

Name:	ABF3296F-5C6A-424B-94E6-8C43D1DA95D7.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	4764

MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I made L brackets out of light weight stainless and attached 1 end to frame edge and other end to each of the fender support brackets. These brackets are held on by 1 sheet metal screw that is up under the skirting area. Not enough strength with 1 anchor screw to take the wind buffeting when towing

My fender skirts don’t buffet and the machine screws, washers , self locking nuts keep the skirting anchored properly
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I made L brackets out of light weight stainless and attached 1 end to frame edge and other end to each of the fender support brackets. These brackets are held on by 1 sheet metal screw that is up under the skirting area. Not enough strength with 1 anchor screw to take the wind buffeting when towing

My fender skirts don’t buffet and the machine screws, washers , self locking nuts keep the skirting anchored properly
Excellent idea. I will do the same with the brackets!
Thanks
MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenders