Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Tow Command system

For those of you who have the Two Command brake system on your 2005 Ford Super Duties, how has it worked for you? It was one of the reasons I was looking forward to my new truck.

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't know anything about your truck question, but I was intrigued by your moniker. I almost used it when I first signed up. Although my degree is not in English, I have and continue to attempt word pictures so that my clients will have "handles" with which to haul away life changing concepts. Happy RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
When I first created this user name for another forum, I thought I was being original--well, not really. It truly IS a small world. I picked it partly because I teach Advanced Placement Literature at my high school and partly because I love how words can have such varied meanings, depending on how you use them. It can also be fun to string words together in unique but meaningful ways.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wordsmith, we have the Tow Command. We've towed just 1,250 miles with it but I am very impressed with it. We previously had the Prodigy, which I liked better than anything I had tried to that point. But the integrated controller is head and shoulders better than even the Prodigy. It's a terrific experience having it brake as if the trailer were welded to the truck. Very, very smooth. I run mine at the 7.5 setting. Others have posted they use as high as 9.0 and as low as (6.5, if I recall correctly). 7.5 works for our combination and weight.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
I have the Tow command in my 2005 F350 I have only towed150 miles with it so far but it seems to work better than any brake controller that I have had I wausing a prodigy Brake control in my other truck I hope you like yours
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks for the input--that sounds very promising. I might just have to hook up the truck to my current TT and give it a try! I was hoping it would be all that you are saying it is.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Also, try the grade braking when using the tow/haul feature. Pretty sweet.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I fell in love with the Jordan Ultima 2020 brake controller. It is also a direct proportional system. The only thing slightly kludgy about it is the cable you have to hook to the brake pedal.

Having the controller integrated into the truck would be better yet, however I like the Amp meter built into the Jordan. I have found it to be a helpful diagnistic tool to monitor the health of my electric braking system. Much better IMNSHO than an arbitrary scale or number as shown by the new Ford controller.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I can't offer any advice at this point in time, but we are planning our first trip this weekend in our new truck. We had previously pulled our 3400RL with the old Ford diesel with all the Banks support. It was pretty good with the trans command and the banks brake to support the brank controller. I am so looking forward to not having to do all of that adjusting and resetting with every time we hook and unhook. I will let you know about a week from now. I expect it to be wonderful.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Drive safe and have a fun trip. I'm looking forward to your report.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #11
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
[b] Steve - bad news to report on our projected journey. The little woman got the flu so we decided to stay pt for a coupld of weeks. Projected "blast off" date is now 18 March. I am really "chewing at the bit" to get going. Talk soon.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Those things do happen, O.V. But the weather should be even nicer when you finally do get to head out. The 18th is the day we arrive up near Chincoteague Island, VA, and the next day go pick up our granddaughters.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:11 AM   #13
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Well, I had to take the TT to have a little work on it, so I decided to try how the F-250 worked with the Tow Command system as well as the Tow/Haul mode.

Never having towed a camper with a diesel before, I suppose I had something of a romantic notion that the truck was just going to act like there was nothing back there—and to a degree it did—but on hills I did know the trailer was there, but I also quickly realized that the diesel’s extra power is there as well. The real test will be when I pull it deeper into the mountains of north Georgia and North Carolina this summer.

Tow Command controller worked well, though I have to work some more to find that “sweet spot” to ease out the jerking; I started on 10 and was working my way down slowly. Will try more when I go to pick up the camper, though I realize whatever I decide upon will most likely change with the Montana as there is about a 5k dry weight difference between the units.

Noticed something else when I tried the Tow/Haul mode…under braking, there was an audible change in the engine noise from when I had the Tow/Haul off. Would this be the TorqueShift transmission working? Additionally, for those of you with Fords that have this option, when do you actually use Tow/Haul mode?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:03 AM   #14
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
Wordsmith
I have my brake controller set on 6.5and I pull a 3685Fl and it works well for me at that setting.
The owners manual says that you should use tow haul to keep your trans from serching so if you getin an area with hills the you should use it you can use it any time you are hauling a load it still gives you all of the gears so use it when you feel that it would work better you just don't get as good MPG with it on
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:31 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wordsmith, as that engine breaks in you will feel a big difference in towing power. It's a sweet towing setup. You won't have any problems with the mountains. At least we don't. On the steeper hills is where you will really notice the diesel power.

I use tow/haul any time we're towing except the occasional time I forget to engage tow/haul for awhile. Tow/Haul will hold a gear longer so you probably heard it either downshift or drop out of overdrive (same thing) or unlock the torque converter. It will lock back up when it feels the conditions are right. Some people only use tow/haul in hilly terrain but I figure if it is easier on the engine to use it then I'll use it all the time we're towing. Just my opinion, not necessarily the best way.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #16
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Wordsmith, I concur with Steve. I use Tow/Haul any time I am pulling the fifth-wheel (unless I forget it). I couldn't be happier with the transmission or with the Tow Command system. We have pulled our rig (current loaded weight: 12,500 pounds) for about 2800 miles so far, and the truck has far exceeded my expectations.

On our current trip, we crossed the Colorado River between Kingman AZ and Bullhead City both en route to and from Las Vegas. There is a downhill grade of about 6% for 12 - 14 miles, immediately followed by an upgrade of about the same gradient and distance. The truck and transmission handled both uphill and downhill grades with no problems whatsoever. I have heard and read lots of advice about the need for an exhaust brake, but the tow/haul feature seems to me to be fully capable of controlling the truck and trailer.

By the way, I am currently running the brake controller at a setting of 6.5. I don't know if that is the best setting for me or not, but it seems to be working well now. I assume that the required setting will change as weights change, brakes wear, or other factors might change.

Good luck; I think you will like the Tow Command and the transmission on the new Ford.

Roman4

2005 Montana model 3475
2005 Ford F-350 PSD
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #17
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Roman4, I am definitely looking forward to experimenting further with both; you certainly give a convincing testimonial for the tow/haul mode and I continue to be impressed by what all of you say about the Powerstroke diesel’s strength. It IS reassuring. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-15-2005, 11:47 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is really a interesting thread for me I just got a F350 SD with Tow command but since my camper is still covered with snow have not used it..will keep looking at this thread information..keep it up...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:57 AM   #19
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
It worked beautifully when I brought the Montana home on Saturday; I had the setting at about 8 and the trailer brakes worked well with the Ford transmission in Tow/Haul mode. I suspect it will not be long until the other two members of the big three trucks unveil their own version.

I tell you, though, it was nice when the people who installed the SuperGlide asked if I also needed a brake controller with the 7 pin to say that it came with the truck!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:42 PM   #20
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have the Tow Command Sys and love it. Pretty much a repeat of Steve but to add I have the understanding that it also works with the Antilock Computer. The option is more than you can purchase a seperate controller. First thing is you do not have any gadget hanging under the dash as it is built in. And it simply just works soooooo well. Not to mention very easy to use.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote