Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Duct cleaning

The thread on a/c cleaning reminded me of this and I didn't want to hijack that thread.

We noticed when we fired up the a/c, there was a real musty smell right away but then after a few minutes it went away. I looked closely yesterday inside the a/c unit while doing some wiring and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. It has a new filter too. So is there a duct cleaning procedure that I can use? Funny the smell goes away after only a minute or so but comes back as soon as you fire up the a/c the next day.
Bill

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Some times algea forms in the drain pan and on the evaporator coils, you might clean those and see if the smell goes away. Or with running the unit a while the condensation may just wash the smell away. Also you could spray the drain pan and evaporator coil with some Clorox to dispose of algea. When and if you decide to spray with Clorox be prepaired to run the cooling portion of your HVAC unit for a good while to help wash the Clorox away. While doing this, squirt some water on the roof where the A/C condensate runs to further dilute the Clorox.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote