Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
new tires

We are now replacing our original tires, Tacomas, with Bridgestone Duravis. This is the first tire replacement on our rig. We have been very happy with what we had but after almost 5 yrs. of travels, including Alaska they are starting to show some wear. We figure we have around 25-30K on them. While the wheels are off the rig DH will manually grease the bearings and I'll try to clean those dirty lug nuts. Upon last years inspection he found a broken spring hanger.

We're so looking forward to getting out of here, our destination is Lakeland, FL. in about 4 weeks. We have a wind chill of -1 so we'll have to heat up the barn to get our work done. If you have any suggestions on how to polish those lug nuts let me know. Stacy

wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Congratulations on your rig's new shoes. There is always that special feeling when you put something new to replace something old to improve things.

About those lug nuts, ff you have the chrome type like what is on my rig and and other cars, I have used automotive chrome cleaner. If they are full of road crud I would wash them first with a soft brush and car washing cleaner and water. I got my soft brush with an automotive cleaning kit. However, I have never cleaned them while not on the wheels. While I think they would be easier to clean this way I don't know if you must use special care not to get the screw parts of the lugs wet. But if you can dry them well or blow them dry, that should help prevent any rust from forming.

If your lugs are different hopfully someone will suggest their solutions.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
Try Bar Keepers Friend, its a cleanser in the Grocery Store, It will not scratch..
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I used some chrome and metal cleaner/polish. Go to your local auto parts store or walmart and look in auto supplies, It will take a while to get the surface rust off them but you can. Then put a good coat of wax on them before reinstalling, That seems to slow down the new rust.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ChuckD

Try Bar Keepers Friend, its a cleanser in the Grocery Store, It will not scratch..

This product works really great on stainless steel;
especially good for pots & pans.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Bill, glad to see that you know to use Barkeep's Friend on pots and pans!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Well it took all day, but the new tires, shiny lug nuts and clean wheels look great!! To clean the lug nuts first I sprayed them with WD-40 then wiped them down, next bar keepers, then chrome polish on the buffing wheel, then wax. I screwed a long screw on the end of each one to make it easier to handle. Now I just hope we have dry roads for our trip to Florida so they will look good for a little while.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote