Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Dometic Oven (update)

Well, the Dometic convection/microwave that we just got replaced in July has gone south. Of course it would do this the night that Bets made a huge casserole. It wasn't done after 30 minutes at 425 so I did a new preheat with a thermometer inside and when it said "425 pre-heat complete" the temp was a whopping 275. Damn. Now we have to fire up that useless propane oven. I will have to call Dometic tomorrow and see where we stand... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Dave, I perceive that you are upset about this (tongue in cheek). Sorry you are having a problem. I will be interested in your outcome. That unit has served us well thus far. Problem is they never tell you what went wrong. No learning curve here.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Stiles, the belly is full (we ended up using the gas oven) and I am a bit calmer but still not happy. This is exactly what happened with the last one. But we are not sure if that one ever worked right because the first time we used it in convection mode it didn't work, by that I mean that it was 150 degrees low, and this one is doing the same thing. I mis-stated the age of this one, we got it in April with the black tank... Dave
Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Called the local dealer today and they said bring the rig up to Jackson, TN. They will check it out and order a new oven. If we pay for express shipping (125.00) they will let us stay there over night while the new over comes in if it is available. Otherwise we will have to make another trip up for the change out. Smallwood RV was very nice and said to just call 2 days before we head up and they would make room for us. So we will be making a run to Jackson next week maybe... Dave
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When we had an electrical event which blew the Microwave/Converter, we had to wait a week or so for it to come to the dealer. We cooled our heals in a nearby campground. When it came, it didn't work. Of course the dealer discovered this AFTER he got it installed. I don't know whether his face was red from anger or embarrassment.

The service manager arranged for the new one to be delivered to another dealer service center that was on our agenda. About 3 weeks later, we showed up. The new appliance was there and within 20 minutes it was installed. I appreciated the extra effort by my dealer to get me taken care of on the road.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sounds like the Dometic may be no better than the Apollo.. I guess cost efferctive is cost effective regardless of brand name.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
20 months and our Apollo is still going strong (knock on wood)!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Our Apollo is going on 53 months now. (...also knocking hard on on real wood).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Let's see, my first one failed because of an electrical event. The second one never worked, maybe damaged in transit. The third has worked like a charm since it was installed 8 months ago as did the first one until it got zapped. I have never had the Apollo, so I can't compare first hand, but I am totally satisfied with the Dometic's performance. We have used it extensively in all modes of operation, microwave, convection, and combined. The more Dianna uses it the better she likes it.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
I have an 09 3075 unit with a "Sylvania" microwave/convection oven. The first one had a short in the microwave circuit; the replacement arrived with a broken cooling fan housing which causes the microwave function to shut down after a few minutes. Sylvania says they do not service this unit (even though it has their name on it). The company/importer they referred me to is shutting down so repair is not an option. Guess I'll have to return this one too. At least Dometic and Apollo can be reached for help. We had no problems with the Apollo in our 07.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote