Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2006, 05:20 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Stairway on 2955RL

We absolutely love our 06 2955RL and in 7 weeks we never had one issue but the day before we left I drove my unit around town to get the feel of it and somewhere my rear steps made contact with a speed bump and were bent. They were bent enough they would not fold out. I removed them and was able to fix them up myself but I did not want to chance hitting them again so I would remove them when we travelled and when we were set up for more than a day I would bolt them on. We used a portable set of stairs when we travelled. Yesterday I bought a 2 step stairway that only hangs down 7 1/2 inches when they are folded up instead of the 15 inches the 3 step stairs hand down. On a level campground, two steps is all you need on my unit and if the campground is sloped I will put a step stool out.
Because the Montana has a built in step inside the unit, the stairs all hang below. If you look at a lot of other brands, the stairs fold up in a recess. This is only a problem on the 2955 RL and for all the other models with the entrance in front of the wheels , this is not an issue. I am happy with the way the unit sits on my tall 4x4 F350 and it feels pretty level inside so I did not want to lower the truck.

A two wheel drive truck should give your hanging stairs a couple more inches of clearance but IMO, the stairs hang much too low on the 2955RL and I am sure I am not the only one who has hit them on a curb or speed bump. If anyone is interested , I can post a picture.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, I'm sorry to hear you're having a problem with the step but I have to wonder what is different about yours? There are a lot of 2955 owners on this forum and this is the very first time I've heard of this problem. I'm wondering if there is something different about your steps? Does anyone know if there are different steps for the 2955 and maybe Don got the wrong steps?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I think all 2955s have this tendency for the steps to drag under certain conditions. Several forum members have posted similar experiences. We have never suffered damage, but have 'touched down' a couple of times every so slightly.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
[b]David is right about the steps...we haven't had very much trouble with the steps dragging...but we are very concious of them hanging low and we are careful not to drag them. I had hoped that Keystone would design better steps for the 2955 Montana...otherwise , I have no other
complaints about our trailer.
Countrygirl or shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:13 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
In 32 months of full timing, not once have I dragged the steps on our 2955. Maybe I've become complacement but I don't even think about them when on the road BUT I do make it a habit of ALWAYS entering or exiting a ramp at an angle. Especially the steeper ones. I can see the possibility of the steps dragging if entering or exiting the ramp straight on.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 AM   #6
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I dont think about ours either while traveling. I have never had a problem, but agree could understand it happening. I have gone over speed bumps a numer of times in one park we frequent alot and been ok...TV is a 4x4. I think Keystone made the steps all the same on the 2955RL"s
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:31 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
In 05 Ford came out with 18 " wheels on thier SRW F350s to go to the larger GVWR. My 05 F350 has an 11200 pound GVWR where my 04 was 9900. This made the tall Fords even a little taller and when you raise the front end even an inch, the back of the trailer goes down even more.
I love the built in step inside the door of the Montana and this keeps your door lower and gives you more awning clearance but it does make the entire 15 inch stairs hang completely below the frame of the Montana and this only gave me 6 " of clearance.

You don't always have a choice of ground clearances when you are backing a Fiver into a campspot and this low clearance is not something I want. Also, I live on Vancouver Island and must use Ferries to travel. If you get a low tide, you can run into clearance problems and many RVs have been damaged on the Ferries over the years. The newer Spirit Class Ferries on the Vancouver - Victoria run are much safer to use and I won't ever go on the Duke Point run because I have had several close calls being directed to pull my rig less than 6 inches from the side of the ship.
With the Spirit boats, you can run your tires against a steel curb and the sides of your Fiver are a long ways off the ship sides. Much better.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote