Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
replce carpeting in front enterence way

For some reason back in 2001 I guess keystone really like carpet.My whole unit is completely covered with carpet.except for the hard wood flooring in the kitchen and the toliet room.The rest is ALL carpet.I would like to cut away the carpet entering the Montana and replace it with that stick on tile stuff.Is this doable and how well does that stick on stuff-stick on???I`am guessing that right under the carpet is some type of padding and then the wood supfloor right???I just don`t want to cut out the carpet and put down the stick on stuff and see it later popping off.Any ideas?????

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:22 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think it is altogether possible. If it were me, I would loosen the trim at the door and see what the surface is underneath. I would guess it is plywood. If so it is a matter of cutting out the area you want to tile and put the tile down, making sure it is under the edge of the carpet a bit. Then you will be able to find carpet edge trim that can be shaped to trim out your carpet.

However, may I suggest that you use linoleum rather than those stick down tiles, using linoleum cement to stick it down. The stick downs are notorious for not being satisfactory in high traffic areas. At Lowes or Home Depot or other building materials store, you should be able to find an end piece in a satisfactory pattern for a bargain price.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:30 AM   #3
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Harleyrider, what stiles is suggesting is absolutely correct. Having sold carpet/vinyl in one of those "big box" stores, I can tell you the stick on tiles are NOT what you need or want. Also, I would not cut out the carpet until you "have in hand" the molding you would need, as often, they are hard to find, most places only have the straight pieces that don't bend. Also in this case, you will get what you pay for when it comes to transition trim. Good luck.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Stiles & Dianna & Joy

Thanks for your suggestions.The linoleum idea does sound better when I get to think of it.I`ll have to go up to my storage area and see how big a section I want to cut out.As far as the trim is concerned I hear what your saying on you get what you pay for.I don`t forsee a whole lot of bending with the trim-but i`ll have to look to make sure.Any way thanks for your help.

John
Old 02-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Another thought came to me. After you have made your cut and put in the linoleum, you might consider pulling Monty over to your friendly carpet layer's shop and have him put that transition trim in for you. It can be a little tricky. I think the trim is the most critical part of your venture. You have to continually walk over it, so it needs to be as unobtrusive and smooth as possible. Go look at the materials used on the new Montanas and then select better.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
My last trailer the linoleum ran the full lenght of the trailer and the carpet was laid down on top of it, not sure it the montanas are done that way or not the last unit was a travel trailer and only had one hieght to the floor so that may not be the same with the monty's. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:12 PM   #7
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Stiles

I hear what you are saying about the trim.I surely don`t want something that sits high and will be tripping over it all the time.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:51 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They still lay linoleum front to back then the carpet over those portions covered at least they were still doing it a few months ago on our factory tour so the chances are you will find linoleum when you pull up the carpet
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:36 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Harley,

Rich and others, correctly report linoleum under the carpet in most places on the current units. I believe ours is the same way (2004,early), but you have a 2001. I would check real careful before I go ripping something out and get a rude awakening, as we all know Montana is famous for running changes, and 2001 and 2004 are a long way apart.

Hey, let us know what you decide to do and photos, please of how it turns out!

We have the same thing, tons of carpet when you come in the door, at this point we just have a throw rug RIGHT there at the entrance. But, something besides carpet is sooooooo appealing!!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The reason I would use linoleum instead of tile squares is those grooves between the tiles tend to collect dirt that is very difficult to get out. And that area by the door is prone to collecting dirt.

I was not aware there is linoleum under the carpet so if anyone finds out that is the case, please let us know.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Maybe just maybe when I take up the carpeting their will be MORE carpeting(lol)When the weather gets nicer I will tackle this project and I surely will let you ALL know what I find under the carpeting.

The mystery of it all!!!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #12
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Harleyrider, We have a 2001 and it did not have tile under the foyer area. We did have tile under the center cabinet in the rear between the chairs. Most all of the carpet was installed with the tack stip. This does help make the job alot easier. Definitely use the linoleum vs. stick ons. To much bouncing and flexing. Good luck and have fun.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:58 AM   #13
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
We just had our Kitchen, Forayer, Hallway, Nook and downstairs Bathroom floors re-done. We use the congoleum, tile squares that has a slate look. They now have a special adhesive that is put down first and then the tiles are installed. After that there is a special sealer applied between between each tile that seals the cracks where the tiles meet. Additionally,
if you desire, the tiles can be installed with a grout application. After seeing the application I would not be afraid of using these in the Montana. I do believe the old self-stick tiles would not be a good application for the Montana.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, you think these tiles would not be hard to clean the grooves? That would change my mind about tiles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:50 AM   #15
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
We used the 16" tiles and the sealer fills in between each tile and while it doesn't eliminate the separation it brings it almost level with the tile so it maintains the tile appearance. I don't think getting dirt in the cracks or cleaning will be a problem. They said to use winger water to clean. Time will tell but as I said before if it's properly installed and sealed no water or dirt will get in between the tiles. Just my opinon....?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:37 AM   #16
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Look at the flooring in your cabinets. If it is linoleum it's a good bet it is under the carpet also.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:29 PM   #17
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Treecounter

Look at the flooring in your cabinets. If it is linoleum it's a good bet it is under the carpet also.
I do belive I do have linoleum in the cabinet areas.How nice would that be if I removed the rug and its already installed.i would just need to get some trim.I think I`ll just cut the carpet(very carefully) and see whats under it first before I go buy what ever.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:42 AM   #18
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good plan, Harley. Investigate before investing, huh. That might work with stocks too.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #19
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
I was told yes on the linoleum but that they tend to stable the carpet down. the service manager at my dealer said they did that for a person and found it stabled in place and the linoleum had hole then. would not do it for me because of that. so check by pulling on carpet all over to see if it is stabled.

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote