Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Fire Danger--Ford trucks

One of our local news stations in the Detroit area had a report on today about the fire danger caused by a defective switch on the master cylinder that shuts off the cruise control when you tap on the brake.

Please read
WXYZ Article and for the list of vehicles--
Vehicles List

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
After reading this thread I felt like I should check out my truck as it is listed on the link from WXYZ. The service manager was unaware of any additional recalls on the cruise control switch. He entered my VIN into a computer and came up with a printout. It shows no recalls at this time on my vehicle for anything. I gave no information other than the VIN yet the computer gave all data recorded on this truck including date of purchase, my name and address and previous repairs made to it. BTW, this is not where I bought the truck so it was not in their local computer. I am satisfied that until otherwise notified there is not a problem with this switch on my truck and if does catch fire and burn up I get to call 1-800-Allstate, but I'll buy another Ford.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
No matter what we buy Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or what, it can happen to them all. But I would keep and eye on your Ford.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
A friend of mine had pointed this out to me a few weeks ago. I look around on the Ford web site (I think) and found a place to enter my VIN to check for recall notices. There wasn't anything listed at that time.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I read the article and found there is no basis for the conclusion. There was/is a recall for three models, none of them SuperDuty trucks, over a two-model year span. The author says the part in question looks identical to that used by Ford since 1992. Therefore, according to him, all those vehicles since 1992 are fire hazards. He makes zero allowance for a bad batch of parts causing a problem but the rest being no problem. I see it as an example of very poor journalism. I also will stay with number 1.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #6
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Steve, that agrees with what I had read. SuperDuty was not on the list at all.

However, Ford does have a page where you can enter your VIN and check for any recalls. The link I have here is a MyFord page that insists on having you register. I didn't do that before so either this is new or I had previously found a backdoor link directly to the VIN search page...

My Ford Page

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks Eric. I already had a MyFord page so just logged in. I hadn't updated since trading trucks but put in the vin and it made the changes for me. No recalls on ours, either.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:03 AM   #8
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
I hope that I was not misunderstood. I simply was reporting a story that was on our local news. I did not mean to brand bash anyones truck. We have owned a Ford for almost ten years and love it. Now that the weather was a little nicer I went and checked our switch. The story is wrong for our truck, that when I turn the key off there is no power going to that switch. I also checked for continuity to ground on the switch itself and it was perfectly OK. I was concerned about the problem reported because ours is not a daily driver and is parked in an out building, so we didn't want a fire out there, for sure. I disconnected the switgh as a precautionary measure until I had time to check it. I just wanted to warn everyone of the possibility.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:41 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tbhd, I didn't mean to come off as hostile and apologize if I did. I just get perturbed by the media who tend to sensationalize things and can really get off base at times. If they want to go public with something like that I think they really should do their homework and get the opinion of experts. It was just my frustration with the media showing. Sorry if I caused you any concern.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:13 AM   #10
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Steve believe me no offense is taken. In his report he had three or four experts giving there opinion also and this was featured on the news for a few days. He also has done some excellent reports that have turned out to be true on our Mayor here in Detroit. Some times it's hard to explain everything you want to say in a post and just wanted to alert everyone so they could check it out. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tbhd, I didn't say it before but should have - thanks for posting the info. I realize you were quoting a media source rather than expressing an opinion. You're right about better safe than sorry. I've had Ford trucks of vintage '92, '95, '99, '03, and '05 since 1992 and haven't had this problem. Hopefully it really is limited to the few in the recall. Time will tell...
Old 03-05-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
We are new to RVing, and have of yet to take our first trip. I bought a beautiful new to me 2002 Ford 350 diesel truck, and was notified immediately by Ford that I needed a retro-fit of something to my cruise contol, related to the pedal. I took it to the dealer, and it was done. No mention was made of fire hazard.

This is a heavy duty truck. The recall # on the invoice was #03803 and the labour instruction (Canadian) was (1 2C3Z 9F836 DE PEDAL).

I don't know if this relates, but it might shed light. Why hasn't Ford responded to this report? I was very pleased that I was notified so quickly by Ford Canada, and it wasn't two weeks after I bought the Truck (November 2004).

Probably old news on a slow news day.

Jack Hadley
Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jack, does your truck have adjustable pedals? I did a quick google search on the labour instruction number you listed and came up with this from Dieselmann's ford diesel bulletins page. The number is apparently the assembly part number.

Accelerator Pedal Recall 03B03:
This recall is for certain 2002 and 2003 F-series and Excursions with adjustable pedals. The reason is an intermittent sensor performance problem. The check engine light may come on and you may experience a lack of throttle response. Affected vehicles are 2002's built in Mexico from July/August 01 through December 21, 01, and 2002 and 2003's built in Kentucky from July/August 01 through October 17, 02. This recall will be in effect until March 31, 2004, regardless of mileage.
Accelerator Pedal Assembly: 2C3Z-9F836-DE