Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
Installing a flag holder.

After watching RV Today on OLN, they showed installing a fishing rod holder to the ladder on the back of your travel trailer so a flag can be flown during camping. I tried this after buying a flag set at Wal-mart. I purchased the rail mounting accessory found where the fishing rod holders are located in the sporting goods area. I found that the fishing rod holders were a bit pricey. The plastic holder that came with the flag set worked fine when I re-drilled the holes to match those on the rail mounts. Barb didn't like the flag hanging from the back, so I used Gorilla Glue to mount the flag holder to the hitch pin plate at the front of our 5th Wheel. The holder also helps in aligning the hitch pin during hook-up. Barb likes having the flag in front much better than in the back.

Gary
05- 3295RK
01- GMC 2500 CC W/DURAMAX

Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:18 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary, you and me, we know who's the boss in our families, huh!?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:43 AM   #3
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gimmy2001
... I used Gorilla Glue to mount the flag holder to the hitch pin plate at the front of our 5th Wheel. ...
Gary,

What a neat idea to use glue affix a flag holder to the pin box! I was thinking of putting a flag holder there but was reluctant to drill holes in the pin box. Now I can use Goop. And if I ever want to remove the holder I just have to get the chisel and hammer out!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:23 AM   #4
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030

Neat idea. Think I'll try it.
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:32 AM   #5
Southstl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19
I took our flag holder and mounted it to the pin. I drilled and tapped, then installed the flag holder with stainless steel screws. Looks good, I hope it last a long time.....
Southstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:56 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I drilled and used screws to attach my flag holder to the pin. Not enough patience to tap and bolt.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:01 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours uses suction cups and is mounted when we unhitch and removed when we get ready to hit the road again. I may give some thought to permanently mounting it one of these days but Vicki would like it to be on the door side of the coach.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:38 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have a large flag that has brackets that bolt on to the ladder and a smaller suction cup holder that holds three flags which I mount on the door side. I have an American flag, a California flag and I try to find a flag for the state that I am visiting for the third hole. The flag that mounts on the ladder is a little to noisy though, when it is exceptionally windy I velcro it to the front tripod stabilizer.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:04 AM   #9
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
On my new 3685FL I didnt want to put in any holes (not while it is New) So on the front glide I put a ratchet strap all the way around and put plastic angle on the edges so not to tear the rubber roof and bought two sections on chain link fence pipe that go's between the main poles to hold the fenceing at home depot for 2-3 $ they hook together, then put a eyelet at the top that is just above the roof(and wont rub the rubber with the plastce angle there) and one just under the bottom that hook to the strap and ratchet it tight. and a pully at the top and a rope with clips for the flag.. it is just high enough for the US and POW to fly without dragging the roof..so far no wind or other dammage noticed.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:54 PM   #10
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Gary, you and me, we know who's the boss in our families, huh!?
I am certainly looking forward to some mentoring from Barb and Vicki!
(and you boys will be there for Larry...right?)
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:29 AM   #11
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
I mounted Old Glory on the ladder using a 10 foot piece of 1-1/4” PVC as the initial mount. Then inserted a 1 foot piece of 1” PVC in the end to take up the space between the wooden pole and 1-1/4” PV. I drilled a hole through the wooden flag pole, 1” PVC, and 1-1/4” PVC and put a ¼-20 phillips screw through them to keep everything together when the flag is flying. I filed a half moon on the bottom of the 10 foot PVC to sit on the lower ladder brace to keep it from shifting. I attached the 10 foot PVC to the side of the ladder with nylon tie straps. The bottom of the flag stands about three feet above the top of the camper so it doesn’t touch the roof. I assemble the poles and flag before attaching it to the ladder and when ready to take it down I just cut the straps, remove the screw and take it apart. The 10 foot PVC pole I store in the living room. The PVC flexes but has never given me a problem not even in the 60 MPH thunderstorm winds we encountered at Myrtle Beach!
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #12
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Some great ideas for flag holders!! I, THINK IT WOULD BE GREAT FUN FOR THOSE GOING TO THE MOC RALLY TO BRING THEIR STATE FLAGS ,I REALLY WANT TO BE ABLE TO ZERO IN ON FOLKS FROM SEVERAL STATES!!
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:24 PM   #13
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
BiilnPat:
In my original post, I mentioned that I mounted the flag to the ladder. But again my wife, Barbara didn't like the flag in the back. So I mounted it in front using the original flag mount that came in the flag kit, bought at Wal-mart, and simply used Gorilla Glue to mount the holder to the hitch pin plate. This seemed a lot easier than trying to drill screw holes through the plate. I also now can use the other hole to fly the Kansas flag.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 02:36 AM   #14
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Right now we have Old Glory mounted on a curtain rod across the rear picture window where it travels very nicely and looks good from inside and outside. But someday we will be parked where there is a view other than the back of another camper or a tree at close range and will need to have rigged one of the many fine ideas I just read.

See what we come up with by the Rally.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:07 AM   #15
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
We attached our holder to the pin box with screws.... I like the look of the ones up high in the back of the trailer... would like that option also - depending how parked at the campground.
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:26 AM   #16
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gimmy2001

BiilnPat:
In my original post, I mentioned that I mounted the flag to the ladder. But again my wife, Barbara didn't like the flag in the back. So I mounted it in front using the original flag mount that came in the flag kit, bought at Wal-mart, and simply used Gorilla Glue to mount the holder to the hitch pin plate. This seemed a lot easier than trying to drill screw holes through the plate. I also now can use the other hole to fly the Kansas flag.

Gary
Gimmy2001, I thought about attaching the flag holder to the pin box. I helped my brother-in-law mount his there. I just like the thought of Old Glory flying as high as I can get her above my 5er. The PVC doesn't get in the way of the steps because it's mounted on the side and behind the step area. I can also fly another flag under her without any interference. Around here it's usually a NASCAR flag!.....LOL.....

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:43 PM   #17
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Some great ideas for mounting our national flag, thanks! Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote