Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
JLeach
Established Member

M.O.C. #8145
Hello

Hi,

We're new members and just purchased a Montana Mountaineer 305RLT. Looking forward to traveling and meeting new friends on the road.

Since we're first timers, would appreciate any thoughts and/or suggestions you might have. What types of things would you consider "a must" to have to start off with?

We are going to start out as workampers at the Grand Canyon National park starting April 1st. We're from Texas and have traveled to both the east and west coasts.

Jan & Wayne

JLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Gosh, your first timers and workamping already? Way to go. We have a Mountaineer too and love it. We have some friend that do the workamping and I think they are at the Grand Canyon Nat'l Park, too. They've been doing it for several years and really love it. Welcome aboard the MOC, a great place to be.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Welcome to the MOC family, have many happy days and nights in your new RV, looking forward to some of your input and questions.
TT2
Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
welcome to the best forum in the world if I can be of any help just ask away you will be sure to get the right answers here happy camping
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Take all the comforts of home - just think small and lightweight. Be sure to read here all the topics of interest, especially those in full timing and long timing. There are discussions on how much water is enough to flush and what brand of toilet paper to use to how to completely rewire or replumb the RV. Use the search feature at the top and happy hunting!! I think workcamping at the GC sounds so exciting - I hope it's a great time and experience!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Welcome and we hope you have many happy times in your new unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the MOC. Congratulations on your new acquisition and you new direction. Sorry there ain't no list. Our needs and preferences are too individual to make it possible to compile such a list. Ask yourself , "Can I do without this item?" If the answer is "yes", then do without it. On the other side, "Will this item enhance my ability enjoy the nomadic lifestyle I have chosen?" If it does, then take it. Get practical not emotional. Happy RVing......
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Welcome Wimberly, TX, from Texas City, TX. and mostly to a great forum.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Jan and Wayne,

Welcome to the boards. Sure hope you enjoy your Montana product as much as we do. We would love to do some workamping at some point, but still not on our calendar.

As previously posted, is it light weight and do you really need it?

Just a suggestion, we have needed a second power cord more than once, so that would be on my list. We have also needed a second water hose to hook up, as well as an adapter from 50amp to 30amp.

We are fairly new campers so you might have some other suggestions from other posters.

We do try to keep things light as possible. I still have lots of cupboards empty in our 3400RL as I don't want to go over weight.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome and congratulations on all counts!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
JLeach
Established Member

M.O.C. #8145
Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome! We're looking forward to communicating via this forum and learning from those of you who have been fifth wheeling for a while.

Thanks Colleen for showing me around the website, and also for introducing me to MOC.

Jan & Wayne
JLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Welcome to the MOC! I purchased a one of the drive up jacks in case I have a tire problem. The last thing I want to do is jack up a trailer on the side of a two lane highway. You can get them at CW for 60 bucks.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #13
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
First, congratulations on the purchase and second, welcome to the forum!

Let's see, there are lots of things we "have to have" on the road (mind you, we full-time). Gotta have movies/CD's, camera, laptop (because every now and then we get internet!). We like to cook, so I have a pretty darn outfitted kitchen. It rivals my kitchen back in the stick house. If you don't like to cook, go out to eat and use the kitchen cabinets for storage, games, Milepost, ANGEL SOFT tp, one of those nifty digital photo frames (saves a ton of room), water filter - and use it, soft sheets, and the espresso machine.

Ok, that's just me. Then there's Bernie. I won't go into the tools and gizmos and gadgets in the basement. Like they said above, if you want it, take it. Just be sure it's not reallllllly heavy.

Most of all, enjoy and have fun!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #14
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
We hope you enjoy your Mountaineer as much as we have ours. We always have a trip planned somewhere. Welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot no matter how much you know about RV's.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
congratulations on your Mountaineer, we love our 297RK. i would agree to the Angel Soft TPaper, and add silicon bakeware, b/c it bends and less risk for breakage. Bounce sheets - lots of reasons, but cleaning the outside of your trailor, cleaning the shower, dusting the TV and keeping out bugs are all good, oh and soaking hard to clean pots and pans. 2-way radios are great for a variety of things, but especially at saving marriages when backing up your rig. disposable dishes, pans, cups. a good sized outdoor mat for under the awning is great. scissor jacks for the back jacks. um, thats about it for now .... i am sure others will have lots more.
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote