Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
Bedroom Television

I am going to pick up my new rig Friday and the DW and I have been talking about what type of TV to buy for the bedroom. We think we want a combo TV/DVD, but I told her I would ask you guys to see what you have and like or dislike. We would appreciate any suggestions for models / brands and places to buy. ............Oh yeah, how in the world do you keep the darn things from falling out while going down the road?

Rookies searching for wisdom & experience!!

Bryan & Amanda

bpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Are you ready for this..They are screwed into the cabinet top and bottom with long ugly screws.I was in electronics for 37 years and 6 months, so says my retirement plaque.Today I removed my front room TV and when I put it back for the first time in all those 37 years and 6 months I augured about a 6 inch screw into the top of a piece of Electronic equipment without the faintest notion of where it might be going.I am continually impressed with the design and engineering in the RV industry..Who would have thunk you could just screw down a TV set?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bryan and Amanda,
Best Buy has a large selection of flat screen tv's. I would head there to get a first hand look at them, bring your measurements of the tv space in your bedroom.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

I had to take the case off my desktop PC before figuring out how long a screw, and where it would go, to secure it next to the drawers at my desk in this rig. Turns out I had plenty of room. I'm guessing the Keystone people knew where the open space was in those TV boxes before daring to drive those screws into the cases.

But what do I know?

------

Bryan & Amanda,

As for the sort of TV for the bedroom goes? Make sure you measure the space you can fit it into. Our Monty came with one, but we've only used ours a bit, but I can see why it would be nice if it could play either tapes or DVDs. If one of us is confined to bed for any reason, the inevitable whining would decrease if the entertainment was increased.

If you have a player in the TV, it probably will detract from the screen size, though. Food for thought.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Are you fulltiming? We have been looking for a LCD Flat screen for our bedroom. The best prices generally have been at Walmart and I have been looking for quite a while. Sometimes the brands vary between Walmart stores, but if you have a problem, we have never had any difficulty getting a refund/exchange at any Walmart, regardless of which store we brought from---being on the road it is an import consideration for us. When we get ours, will install it so we can easily take it outside. Will install an A/B switch and extra cable for the input and will drop another lead into the basement so it will be available for us outside.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Instead of replacing the TV with a combo, why not buy a combo DVD/VHS to place next to the TV? The coax plug in for the tv is in the top of the closet, and I just set our combo unit in there, and ran the plugs appropriately. There is already a wiring hole cut for you. Crack open the closet so I can use the remote, and I'm watching the 'Horse Whisperer' and nodding off on the bed!
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We took the TV out of the bedroom, as we don't watch TV in the bedroom. We read at night. But, if I were going to have one in there it would definitely be a TV/DVD combination so that I could watch my movies, etc. They make them as TV/DVD/Recorders now.
Just my opinion
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:05 AM   #8
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
I think that it's better to have separate components. If one fails, or becomes obsolete, the other is not affected. Flat panels have gotten a lot cheaper. They're lighter than tube sets and allow storage in the cabinet space behind them. I'm not sure how the Mountaineer is configured, but a dvd player could rest on the dresser by the television and be stowed away behind the flat panel when not in use. A flat panel on a mounting bracket would be secure while traveling.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
We have a 15" flat tube TV from K-Mart. I use a pad of the rubber under the tv like you use on the shelf to keep the dishes sliding. This set has move about 1/4" in the last 4000 miles
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Ours is a little different as the 3685 has the bedroom in the back and the TV sits on top of the big dresser. We have a 25" standard TV back there and put the rubber type shelf liner like Ishler mentioned above under the TV and bought an adjustable strap with a snap hook in the front. Just had to make sure the screws holding the strap to the wall are mounted into the wall studs. We hook it up when we move the trailer most of the time. But, did forget once and traveled home about 65 miles without it moving. When this TV dies we will probably look at a flat panel to mount on the wall and just secure it right to the studs
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote