Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Need help suggestion

We bought a new faucet for kitchen. We have the corian counters and sinks. (Don't know if I spelled this right) The thing that fits into the hole is bigger than the original faucet so how would we make the hole bigger or should we take it back and try to find another one with a smaller fitting to go through the hole? This one has the pull out sprayer in the faucet spigot.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help from this forum.
Dusty

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
There was just a post on this subject. Wrenchtraveller posted it on the 12th of March. Read his post, he explains how he did his. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
If that doesn't work I know for a fact (because I saw it with my own eyes)that toolmanroy can tell you how he did his fantastic faucet.....LOL All kidding aside, Roy does have a great faucet installed in his Monty. Someone will be along to give you some pointers.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Dusty,

I replaced the faucet in our 3400, which has the fiberglass counter. I pretty much went through the same thing trying to decide if I should find one that fit, or one that I liked. Bullheadedness took over, and I decided to drill the countertop to fit the sprayer, and add a bushing to the soap dispenser so it would fit its larger hole, too.

At someone's recommendation, I drilled a piece of 1/4 inch masonite with the right-sized hole saw, then taped that to the counter as a template. It worked fine, and we have the faucet we want. Just make sure that the hole will miss everything under the counter!

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We just had the same problem when we changed out our faucet. The soap dispenser wouldn't fit. Glen used a small metal sanding bit to enlarge the hole, slowly enlarging the hold, and it now fits great.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We are afraid the corian counter top will crack if we try to enlarge the hole for new faucet. Does anyone know how we can make a larger hole in the corian countertop? Will that stuff crack easy? I would have rather had the regular sink and counter tops now. But this was already in there.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I just put my faucet in yesterday and I used a 1/2 inch half round file to enlarge my centre counter hole. This worked very well and took me less than 10 minutes. Take a pencil and trace the size of hole you need, then just use your half round file to enlarge the opening. I used a vaccuum to clean off the filings and it is very simple to do a good job with a half round file. To make a new hole, you would drill, to enlarge an existing hole, the hand file is a very easy way to do a good job. Read my post in the improvement forum for the rest of the story.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The following is a toll-free help line directly to DuPont, the manufacturer of Corian: 1-800-436-6072 Without a doubt, they will be able to answer your questions about the proper procedures with their material.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thank you for the number for Dupont corian. I had looked on line and couldn't not find anything that answered my question but the phone number will help a lot. We may have to take this faucet back and get one with a separate spray nozzle. Don said he could do it that way if the corian won't crack.
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
Dusty
Old 03-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Either a hand file or a sanding drum will work just fine. The reason I chose the hand file is a power tool with a sanding drum could run if it left the edge of the hole and possibly mark the counter. I am a certified millwright that does this type of thing on a regular basis.
Use a fine double cut file and be sure to wear a dust mask as fibreglass resin dust is not good for you to breathe in. There is no way you will crack your counter using a fine file. This is a simple thing to do and any hardware store will sell half round files.

If you feel more confident talking to a receptionist at a fibreglass manufacturing company as the poster above suggests, feel free to try that but don't expect to talk to someone who has actually done this procedure. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thank you very much Wrenchtraveller (Don). I think we may take it back tomorrow and get one with a separate spray nozzel After looking at it, I don't know if we have enough room there to make a bigger hole since our sink is on kind of an island.
Thanks for help.
Dusty
Old 03-15-2006, 09:12 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I don't think our countertops are the real thing. They're a molded plastic composite or whatever you call them, but not Corian. The enlargement of the hole was very easy.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote