Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
NASCAR Camping

Has anyone ever done a NASCAR weekend with their Monte? I was looking at Las Vegas Motor Speedway NASCAR weekend in Feb. and wondering how that works with a 20' by 45' space and no hookups. I'll have solar so won't need power, but was wondering where you park your tow vehicle and if anyone has any recommendations.

allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:40 AM   #2
Champ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20905
We’ve never camped at Vegas but have done Sonoma several times. We find that the length of the site is not strictly enforced. It seems like as long as they can get emergency vehicles through you can park outside your space. They also have overflow lots for extra vehicles.

2018 Montana 3120RL
2017 Ford F-350
Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
RichardD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22381
We have camped at Hew Hampshire Motor Speedway for more than 15 years. there is usually a spot available for your tow vehicle. Just remember that it will get very crowded on race day with guest vehicles coming in. Yes, you are allowed to have guest as long as they have tickets to the race, parking usually turns into gridlock. At NHMS they do allow generators and those that meet certain noise level requirements, can be run 24 hours. They also have fresh water trucks that come around to fill your tank, very expensive. They also have Honey Wagons that will drain you black & grey tanks, not like they water trucks, they only drain your tanks and NOT your wallet.
f you are a NASCAR fan, it is a great way to experience racing at its best.
Have fun!
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Doing the NASCAR camping thing is on our bucket list. Talladega, at the top of course , so will be following the tips from the experienced folks here. Thanks for starting this thread.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
I attend the Las-Vegas race every year and have camped there. I recommend showing up at least a day early (before the race days begin) and use the camp on the rear entrance side (via I-15 Apex Rd exit to N. Las Vegas Blvd) - I recommend avoiding the main entrance! Overall good accommodations, but your Tow Vehicle will need to be parked on the side (typically on front side) of RV. Most tow vehicles do hang out a little bit into the makeshift drives. The only down side is if you have leave (with your 5'er) on or before the Main race on Sunday, it will be really tight and likely require others to move vehicles - essentially, you could be there until the race ends? It's a great venue and most of the campers are very friendly. That said, I think there is more alcohol consumed by the campers than by the race cars :-).
Old 01-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
I am a motorsports fan myself...and raced for many years. Had to quit racing after '15 season...so I bought the '16 3791 RD. This past November, my awesome wife got us tickets to the World Finals at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Dirt Track. 3 nights of SERIOUS racing! There were campers EVERYWHERE they could get one. We flew out there, but now it is on our bucket list with the trailer. Hint, reserve a year ahead of time!

The old dirt racing saying: Dirt is for racing on, asphalt is for getting there. LOL
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
Went to Bristol for many, many years. No issues with parking the tow vehicle. You will be boondocking, but there will be pump trucks for the black and grey tanks and fresh water trucks rolling through. We did use bottled water for cooking and drinking though. I think pump outs were around $20. If you fill your fresh water tanks and ration the showers, you can avoid having to refill. That is what we did. A lot of the campgrounds set up showers too. That saves a ton of water for you.

Propane refills are usually available or you just run to town.

Most people will run generators during the day and sometimes a bit too late, but that can be weather dependent. I ended up buying one of the Honda uber quiet generators. Middle of August, it was hard not to run the generator a lot.

Have fun.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:59 PM   #8
samroll
Established Member

M.O.C. #22485
Had an infield spot on the wall in turn #2 at Texas Motor Speedway for years. We gave it up few years back when they raised the price again. It had gotten to the point we were spending as much for a long weekend at the race as it cost us for a 2 week vacation.

Our spot was just large enough for our Montana. Luckily, we had a good friend in the spot next to us and we would share the 2 spaces (his camper was smaller) as we had a platform for viewing the race we set up between us. I would usually park my truck outside the track as it was just too crowded with the truck there.

A bit of advice.....get there AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE!!! I tried to get to the track as early on a Thursday as I could and get into my spot. It can be nerve wracking trying to get into a spot after the place fills up. I have done it and it was no fun. One time it took me 3 hours to get my rig in place. I was a contortionist that day and thought it would never work but finally did.

It is lots of fun but plan ahead and be one of the first to park your rig. My buddy had a large (7500?) Honda generator we each hooked up at 30 amps and it worked great. Fridge and water heater stayed on propane. Bring some type of fire ring and wood and have fun!

2012 Montana 3582RL
2013 Ford F350SD King Ranch Dually
samroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We live in the heart of NASCAR country. Back in the day 60 years ago a race was as much of a moonshine swap meet as a race. There wasn’t any or little money in racing so you had to make a living some way. If you had peach moonshine and someone had blackberry you worked up a swap. My friend’s father dove liquor for Curtis Turner one of the best in his day. Curtis would buy pop for all the kids at the race.
Wendell Scott was one of the best of the bunch. All the drivers respected him and his driving skills. The other drivers would give him any car spare parts they had so he could race and had pit crew was has children. He couldn’t get a sponsor. He had a problem he was a black man or I should say gentleman.
THE RACE was the talk Monday morning at work. Now nobody here even mentions a race anymore and I wonder why. Is it because it’s changed so much? The cars at that time were stock cars. You could buy one. Now they are all the same, bodies built by the France family. Or is attendance and rating going down because people have just moved on and don’t care about cars or racing now. People used to haft to work on their cars. When is the last time you changed plugs or brakes or a water pump or did anything except change oils every 10,000 miles. You don’t need to work on them anymore so you don’t think about them and wash and wax them. Or maybe go to a race.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
Schautzie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6179
We did Talladega for 10 years and had a great time. Camp sites are water only or dry camping depending on what you get. We used two Honda 300 piggybacked generators. Ran everything on the rig except we turned one air conditioner off if we needed to use microwave. The sites at Talladega are large enough that our 38 ft Monte and our Ram truck fit just fine.

Schautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #11
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Texas motor speed way

Texas 500 in October will be taking camping reservation on a hold only. If the race go on that weekend then they will charge to you cards then.
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote