Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #21
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thanks Bama Camper for the explanation. We all agree with Phil P that there are relays somewhere. I am sure it is all explained by looking at the Keystone wiring diagrams for the HC http://Ain'tNoStinkin'Diagrams.com

I wonder if the relay is near the motor? What does the wiring look like at the motor which might provide a clue to how it is wired? Are these motors easily visible in a HC? My 3700 has an electric slide in the bedroom and the motor is behind the upper fascia.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #22
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carl n susan

I am sure it is all explained by looking at the Keystone wiring diagrams for the HC http://Ain'tNoStinkin'Diagrams.com

HA! Good one... Yep, I have a full set of those same diagrams!

No clues by the visible motor wiring and no relays obvious. Just wires coming out from a hole in the wall. Yes, they are accessible over the top of the fascia for all slides. Need a step stool to get to them, but at least they are accessible.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #23
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
My bed slide is the Bal cable operated and I have a 15amp fuse in my electricl panel. Also in my front compartment, I have the remote electronics on the wall and one of the outputs on it is "room" which is the bedroom slide. Since the others are hydraulic, they are contolled by the "pump" if using remote. Learning much about high countries with this issue. John
Old 07-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #24
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Now we are getting somewhere.

The reason there are not wiring diagrams from keystone is because the workers on the production line have a free hand in mankind changes in the location of a large number of the parts of the systems.

An example is the coaxial cable “loop” provided for insertion of TV recording equipment etc. I couldn’t find mine I looked everywhere the folks here told me to. I even looked at a same model trailer as ours when at the Marion N.C. rally and mine was nowhere to be found. Called Keystone and ask them to check the “build ticket” they advised that “option” was not provided on my trailer. A few years later I had to remove the fire place under the TV. I am sure you guessed it now the “option” that wasn’t installed was installed about 3 inches above the floor and over to the street side of the trailer where you couldn’t see it and defiantly couldn’t use it.

So you see Keystone can’t afford to let you have their wiring diagrams for liability reasons.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #25
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Now that I am through with mu “rant” I will continue.

If Keystone has gone to the black box with relays that is the receiver for the remote as well as a lot of other electronic goodies the relays could well be there. In that case the black box is probably damaged. When mine gave up at about 6 months old and Keystone refused warranty I removed it and put fuses in line for the units it operated and just use the manual switches.

By the way when I went to the 2 motor system for my landing gear I put a relay in so I could use the same single switch I always used to run them.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #26
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

The reason there are not wiring diagrams from keystone is because the workers on the production line have a free hand in mankind changes in the location of a large number of the parts of the systems.

So you see Keystone can’t afford to let you have their wiring diagrams for liability reasons.
Reminds me of an old cartoon, especially the "What got documented" stage. Hummm... maybe this is the Keystone business model.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #27
Husker92
Established Member

M.O.C. #14541
Here's an update. Sorry it took so long. I've looked through the whole rig and could not find anything to reset. I called Keystone and they told me to look behind the fuse/breaker panel. Nothing but wires. Tomorrow I'm bringing it to the dealer. So the saga continues...........
Old 08-09-2016, 05:49 AM   #28
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
This sures sounds like the remote control electronics is "locking out" the use of the inside switches. If so, then there should be a way of taking it out of the system or having it release power back to the switches. Temporary remove power to electronics??? John
Old 08-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #29
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888

Thanx for the update. Keep us posted when you get a good diagnosis... curious!!

Old 08-17-2016, 04:04 AM   #30
Husker92
Established Member

M.O.C. #14541
Well the Dealer determined that when my son pushed all three slide buttons at once it fired the mother board.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #31
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
electronics as the issue, agree. Let you know how it works when you get it back...and what they found. John
Old 08-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #32
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Husker92

Well the Dealer determined that when my son pushed all three slide buttons at once it fired the mother board.
Which one? The control board for the remote?
Old 08-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #33
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
That happened to us last year. The switches activate relays on a circuit board to activate the slides. The remote goes through a different relay to activate the slide relays. Those relays are all on a relay circuit card. As a result the remote worked, the switches didn't. The dealer should have a parts drawing showing both the switch card and a relay circuit card. They will probably try to sell both as a set but they can be purchased separately and they are fairly expensive. I suspect the same type of circuitry is used for both types of slide activation.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #34
aarailfan

M.O.C. #26850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryfolks View Post
That happened to us last year. The switches activate relays on a circuit board to activate the slides. The remote goes through a different relay to activate the slide relays. Those relays are all on a relay circuit card. As a result the remote worked, the switches didn't. The dealer should have a parts drawing showing both the switch card and a relay circuit card. They will probably try to sell both as a set but they can be purchased separately and they are fairly expensive. I suspect the same type of circuitry is used for both types of slide activation.
Sorry to reactivate an old thread, but I've got the same problem, and am trying to troubleshoot. Any idea where the switch card is located? All my 12v fuses test good, and slides work from remote.

From what I suspect, the remote relay board is only used for the remote control operation, and isn't in the flow for the control panel switches.

Thanks!
aarailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #35
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Ah but the remote control "brain" *DOES* control the switches. This Thread should help you. In extreme cases, people have moved both the ground and the positive wires.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=46515

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #36
aarailfan

M.O.C. #26850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Ah but the remote control "brain" *DOES* control the switches. This Thread should help you. In extreme cases, people have moved both the ground and the positive wires.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=46515
Thanks for this, I figured out the problem. In my case, the neg is fine, but the positive has failed. Is it safe to just connect these to 12v+ or do I need to fuse the positive wires?

I also believe that I found out why the remote control "brain" failed. I found that my awning control switch failed, it seems to intermittently close (power on) and possibly stay there. If I fiddle with the switch it's ok again. So I guess I need to replace that switch as well.

David
Old 08-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #37
aarailfan

M.O.C. #26850
I did some testing and found that these connections seem to be full current draw to operate the slides. I therefore decided to put in both a positive and a negative bus bar and rewired the switches via that. Everything seems to be working fine now.