Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2022, 02:44 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
#$%&##!@#

There I cleaned that up nicely right? More camping delays! Now the huge kitchen/living room slide will not go in and out! I beginning to believe my wife is right and we have a lemon for sure. I have more miles taking this thing to and from the dealer for repairs than we do to and from camping trips! It is a 2020 Montana 3121RL 35' 5ver and I thought Keystone Montana's were supposed to be the cream of the crop. Well this one isn't for sure. First the ceiling moldings all fell down, then the shades started to brake, then the bedroom slide came off it's rollers and tore a huge hole in the flooring, then both ceiling fantastic fans quit working, then the bathroom door needed to be replaced, then the side inside panel by the pantry needed to be replaced, then the recliners would not recline properly, then the shower regulator wasn't working properly, then the levelers were slipping and needed some special fluid, then a nail or screw popped up through the flooring in the bedroom, door to the trash bin need adjusting and now the big slide isn't working. It's just been one headache after another with this unit. Love the lay out, but really a $80,000 dollar rig that is in the shop more than in a campground, really? I'm about ready to sell it and go back to a tent or a popup. Guess I've just reached my limit and needed to vent a bit! Thanks for listening. I can only hope that Keystone reads this and starts doing a much better job of quality control with their units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:facepa lm:

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:11 PM   #2
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
I’m sorry to hear about all your troubles. It sounds to me like you have a good case for a lemon deal with the dealer. If it was me I’d be screaming and hollering at the dealer every chance I got. If they are any good at all they will fix everything plus frustration compensation, or trade you for another one.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:36 PM   #3
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I feel your pain. The first year we owned ours, it made more trips to the dealer for warranty repairs than to campgrounds.

You're not alone and it's not unique to Montana by any means. Some simple searches and you'll find problems with Vilano, DRV, Luxe, Grand Design; campers that are 2X or more the cost of yours. From what I read, Alliance is supposed to be the next best thing on the market. It's a fairly new company that's supposed to be very customer centric and hold high quality control standards. We'll see how that works out. They all use the same brands of components; Lippert, Dexter, Morryde, Suburban, Dometic, Coleman, etc.

I think the best advice I've heard is pick the floor plan that works best for you. Flush out all the problems you can during the warranty period and make the dealer fix them.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:55 PM   #4
Bridge4d
Established Member

M.O.C. #21290
I'm on my third 5th wheel in 9 years (2 Montana's). The first year of ownership is a lot like the first year of marriage...stuff breaks, things are said, voices raised, deals are made, there are some tears but ultimately you learn how to deal with it.

2022 3761FL Legacy
2022 F450 Dually
Bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:32 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Gubs, just curious. On your slide issue, you have two posts. Both have suggestions for troubleshooting. You never replied back on either to say if any of those suggestions helped. Sorry for your troubles. Hope you get them squared away.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:35 PM   #6
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
gubs sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your montana. we have a 3931fb 2020 that has been pretty good so far. i am also in az i see you are in glendale ,we are out in the country in new river, up 17 just over the mountain from anthem what dealer do you use and have they solved all the problems when you do take it in? is the slide making any kind of noise when you try to activate it?
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:27 PM   #7
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
Don’t think they care because people are accepting them the way they come. They are getting their money, that’s all that matters.
Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 12:10 AM   #8
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Thanks everyone for all you suggestions and comments. I think I have a wiring problem somewhere along the line since I'm not getting any power to the switch itself, so back to the dealer it goes yet again!!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:00 AM   #9
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
Thanks everyone for all you suggestions and comments. I think I have a wiring problem somewhere along the line since I'm not getting any power to the switch itself, so back to the dealer it goes yet again!!
Do all the other hydraulics work, jacks and the two other slides

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:30 AM   #10
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
So my first question is, it's a 2020? Did you buy it new or used? I find it hard to believe that a dealer had a 2020 sitting on the lot for 2 years. If you bought it in 2020 how many miles are on it? Did you shake it out? Most of the stuff you're referring to I can see breaking breaking down with constant use. A little more info would be helpful especially if you're talking lemon law. In order to claim lemon the unit must have been at the dealership longer then at home.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:18 AM   #11
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Yeah, it's a sad story, and one that's been repeated over and over by many buyers. Unfortunately, lemon laws don't apply to FWs. I happened to be in a 2008 Cedar Creek Day Dreamer yesterday, and it has aged better than our 2016. We're not hard on things, either.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:29 AM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I had my share of problems with my Montana High Country in the first year of ownership. I still say, I felt like I literally rebuilt the entire trailer from the frame up. I learned all to hard, that warranty repairs are a joke, and after the third trip to the dealership, I said enough was enough, and REALLY jumped in an started fixing everything myself ... regardless of warranty, because getting warranty repairs WAS an absolute joke. So, who cares about warranty.

After 1 year of constant fixing, patching, repairing, reinforcing, I ended up with a solid, sound, really good camper that hasn't had very many issues since. I do expect wear and tear, but those are happening so very UN-often now, it's completely manageable. I currently have a broken slide cable, but I'm also 600 miles from home, so it will get fixed when we finally return home. So, things do happen. But .... nothing like all the failures in the first 12 months of ownership (brand new trailer at the time.)
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 01:45 PM   #13
Steelernut

M.O.C. #27354
Your not alone. Our is back in the shop again. Between dealer and Keystone in Goshen, they have had our trailer more than we have. And it's back at dealer yet again. 80k piece of ****.
Steelernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:30 PM   #14
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Dutchmen Sport, our living room slide cable just snapped today TOO. What the heck?
Slide is 1/4 way out. Cant open or close now.
Thankfully we are at home. Someone is going to have to get it close for us so we can take it to CW. Hate that thought too.
Big trip planned soon..
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:08 PM   #15
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
That’s why we stuck with our 2015. You can see from our signature our replacements. Overdue for a new one, not going to happen.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:52 AM   #16
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I bought it new at the end of 2020 and the problems started right away. It has been back and forth to the dealer more than on any trip. Not many (camping) miles on it. I just checked and I'm not getting power to the switch and I've checked all the fuses and they are all okay. Must have a broken wire somewhere along the line. Back to the dealer once more!!

The above was a PM from the OP. I placed it here so it can help others.

I bought my first new Cougar trailer in 2018 expecting my 45K investment to be like a car purchase. I soon learned that not to be the case. after 2 years of repairs like replacing every window, the roof and many more it was finally in good condition for me to sell and upgrade 4 years later.

Now that my expectations are set I knew what to expect and look for. My Monty is 3 months old and has been towed hard and put away wet. It's on it's way to the dealership this morning for it's 90 day. I have tested EVERYTHING and I'm confident I found 90% of the issues and that the dealer will make the repairs.

At the end of the day it's all about the dealer! How hard they will fight for the warranty process and you? Advice to the next new trailer owner, Tow it hard and often as early as possible.