Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #1
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Question My 2019 Owners Manual lists 2 roof types, but doesn't say which product mine has

I know I need to update a bunch of my profile information, but until later tonight, here is the issue. I have a a 2019 Montana 381TH that has a leak and the manual - the one thing I absolutely DO NOT LIKE about Montana's, one manual for the entire years line up - lists two types of rubber roofs and says to use the product for your type. There are a few problems:
  1. I'm a newbie. This is my first RV so new to maintenance
  2. The manual lists two types of roofs, a Rubber roof and an Alpha Superflex TPO Roof. How do I determine which I have?
  3. For the Rubber Roof type they list the manufactures website and it works. The products are Dicor.
  4. For the Alpha Superflex TPO Roof type they list the product manufactures web site as http://www.alphasystemsinc.com, a dead URL.
  5. I see a lot of reference to Flex Seal, a product I know. Can I use it?
OK, How did I get here? I have some yard work that HAS to be done, so later I will come back and answer that question as it may be relevant to my situation.

Thanks in advance

Promised explanation:
I am brand-spanking, ugly baby, new to RV'ing. I bought a 2019 Montana from a dealership they had on consignment. It is a 381TH 41' which is a different kind of toy hauler. The living room is in the front, the bedroom is in the back, and the garage is under the bedroom. I spent months looking at toy haulers and I need one, but not at the expense of giving up 11', 13' or 16' of living space for just an ATV and some equipment. This floor plan fit my needs perfectly.

First, about me. I'm 60, single, no children, no siblings and my 79 year old mothers caretaker. I had to retire 6 years ago to move to Jacksonville to take care of her. My plan had always been a fifth wheel, a truck, and the road, and when my mother found out she said she would love to see some of the national parks with what time she has left, which is not much - in fact she should have checked out a half dozen times over the last year. But she is like a cockroach. So, I hustled to get my truck and Fifth Wheel so we could fulfill her wishes.

Since the age of 25 I've owned nothing but a Lexus, and bought a new one every year. My point is not to brag but to show that I was not a truck guy. I found a 2019 Ram 3500 crew cab long bed loaded Laramie with 21k mileage and the 6.7 turbo diesel with the HO option that pulls 30,000 lbs. with a 1,000 lbs. of torque. It's also a dulley. Now, I'm a truck guy.

I've had it for about 3 weeks, and the dealership was horrible at showing me the ins and outs, the do's and don't's, or even how to flush the tanks. So, I needed to take it on it's maiden voyage and last week on Thursday I took it to Ginnie Springs, a Florida secret - because I never knew about it - by myself. I arrive there after dark and found that my reserved spot was between 2 trees next to the porta potties. Did I mention the issues I had with backing 41' of trailer up, on a cloudy, storming, night with no lights any where. We had an unusual March cold front with tropical storm like conditions that lasted for three days. I have not mastered the art of backing up a huge trailer in a huge truck between two trees with 2 foot of clearance on either side. Of course I couldn't do it on the first try, or multiple tries after. During one of those tries the top, left hand side of the RV gave a nice scraping along the tree.

As I sat there listening to the torrential wind and the rain in 40 degree weather I could hear every time the the doors to the porta potties slammed closed and I could get a good chuckle..... while I watched two leaks slowly drip. I need to fix.

KausalityKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:26 PM   #2
bheckie123
Established Member

M.O.C. #18015
Dicor Lap Sealant

I have used Dicor lap sealant products on my roof and it works well. It will work on both EPDM rubber and TPO sheet roofs. Self-leveling or "regular" caulk in standard caulk-gun tubes. They also make a liquid sealer in a 1-gal. can that can be rolled or brushed on. I would think that if you talk to a reputable RV dealer they will know what is best for your type of roof. You probably have a TPO sheet roof, but that's a guess. Good luck and I hope you find your leak!
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax DRW
bheckie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:18 PM   #3
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Appreciate the response, but your guess is as good as mine - and that's why I'm askin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheckie123 View Post
I have used Dicor lap sealant products on my roof and it works well. It will work on both EPDM rubber and TPO sheet roofs. Self-leveling or "regular" caulk in standard caulk-gun tubes. They also make a liquid sealer in a 1-gal. can that can be rolled or brushed on. I would think that if you talk to a reputable RV dealer they will know what is best for your type of roof. You probably have a TPO sheet roof, but that's a guess. Good luck and I hope you find your leak!

Yuck, my dealer left a bad taste in my mouth. Sort of like I puked, then sucked it back up. Plus, I would think I'd have to hook up and drive it there because it would be a guess for them probably.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:44 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The answers you seek are documented in this Thread. Be sure to read all the Posts.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=82806

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:49 AM   #5
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
I would stay clear of Flex-Seal for your roof. It would be OK in an emergency, but for the long run, the sun will degrade it and you will be doing it again.
Don't get me wrong, Flex Seal is a good product in its correct environment, but when it comes to a roof, It is my opinion to stay clear of it! Dicor is the way to go.
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Take one of the covers of your inside roof vents down. There will be some of the roof material folded over inside the cavity. If it is near the same color on both sides, it is tpo. If one side is black or dark gray it is epdm.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:02 PM   #7
sonofcy
Established Member

M.O.C. #26300
Go up on the roof. See if you can move the roof material, place two hands down about 6 inches apart and push towards each other. If there is any movement then it is TPO. Another way is to remove a beauty ring around a vent fan, see if there is TPO hanging down.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:04 PM   #8
MGVenne
Established Member

M.O.C. #27469
You may want to consider turning it into your insurance company as a claim. If you ever decide to trade it in or sell it, a dealer (or savvy buyer) will have issues with a poorly patched roof. You will be SHOCKED at how expensive a new roof will be. I went through the same with my 2019 3790RD on a trade-in. Geico insurance paid for a new roof.
2018 Ram 3500 dually
MGVenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:47 PM   #9
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
I appreciate all the replies. I found something that I want to try and just roll this on the entire roof including the slider roofs. It states that it’s good for both type of rubber roofs are, both TPO and EPDM. I’m off to do some research on it, but if anybody has had any experience with it, or has any opinion at all whether good or bad. I try to listen to anyone’s input.
I'm trying to find a link to it for details and pictures. It gets very high reviews and example pictures include RV's. It is white.

Black Jack Eterna-Kote silicone+ Flat Roof Coating.