Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
jjwhite368
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27830
Progressive Dynamics ATS failure

Count us among the latest to experience the PD Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) failure. We do not have a generator. Luckily it was the last night before returning home from FL. We plugged in to the site power pedestal and our Southwire SurgeGard gave us 2 greens and read all was well with the power. Went inside our 2021 3121 and no 110 service. The remote LED in our cabinet panel showed shore power. After having previously read about the possibility of problems with the PD combo ATS / Surge Protector I pulled a lot of stuff out of my storage compartment and removed the passenger side rear access panel (behind the steps) to access the ATS. Sure enough, upon meter testing, I had 120v on both legs in from the shore cable but nothing out AND I could not get the relay to engage. SO, one night with no a/c and not opening the refrigerator door.

I spoke with PD today and they are sending a replacement ATS but not the one originally installed, at no charge.

jjwhite368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:47 PM   #2
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Great info thanks much
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:50 PM   #3
poulson4

M.O.C. #31405
Our 2021 3761FL has the same PD ATS problem now, this after getting our Rv back from the dealer for the 5th time in a year for warranty work.
Same solution from Progressive Dynamics that they will send a replacement ATS but a different model without the surge protection. Seems like PD gets off easy by replacing their bad product with a cheaper model.
poulson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:43 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
From previous discussions about this ATS problem, it appears that the plain ATS being used as a replacement will solve the problem getting power into the trailer and either a hardwired or portable EMS will provide a better level of protection for your rig than what was part of the faulty ATS.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:45 PM   #5
poulson4

M.O.C. #31405
Yes PD will send a plain replacement ATS but what irks me is if I want surge protection as before it will be an out of pocket expense. Also the original ATS model has a remote status display that will be useless.now as it does not connect to the plain ATS replacement model.
poulson4 is offline   Reply With Quote