Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2022, 06:27 AM   #1
ellomumsy

M.O.C. #30248
Question New to RVing, traveling with a dog, question about safety

Hi all,

I know pieces of this are probably covered in other threads, but this is more of a basic question (I've been searching). We have a new Montana with a SolarFlex system. It's parked on a local campground where it will be when we aren't traveling. It was late getting to us so they winterized it for us. So we got it and we haven't been able to use it, yet! But our first trip is coming up in May. Headed to FL, with stops along the east coast. We will be taking our dog. Our RV has the basic SolarFlex system. 2022 Montana High Country 295RL. It's our retirement gift!

Safety questions (for our pup)

My most basic question is if the power goes out, does the SolarFlex system automatically kick in to keep the air conditioner running? I'm worried about the heat when we have to leave our pup behind. And afraid to go anyplace where I wouldn't be able to get back in time should the air conditioning system fail.

Do you leave a spare key with the campground in case of emergency? Or hide it someplace on the outside of the RV where you can tell them to look?

What monitoring system do you use? I've read that campground wifi can be spotty, but we also won't be traveling in our RV year-round, so probably would prefer to get a wifi device. But I'm thinking that might be problematic if wifi connectivity at campgrounds is a common issue. I saw a recommendation for a separate hotspot device, which seems costly and we would only want it while traveling.

Is there an RV app that would allow you to actually keep tabs on (or even operate) your temperature/solar controls remotely instead of getting a separate device? Sort of like what Nest heating controls for your home do?

Would love to get a blink camera (system). I've read that they will alert temperature issues, is that true? But maybe they are too much for campground wifi systems?

I also plan on keeping the shades down - to help keep it cooler and keep him from barking at passersby.

That's a lot of questions, but in general, I'm looking for advice on how to keep my dog safe. I know we won't be able to bring him everywhere we want to visit. But he'll come with us whenever he can.

Thanks!

Chris

ellomumsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:49 AM   #2
ReadyToRetire
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22765
First, congrats on your new rig! We do not have the solar so sorry, I can't help you there. We changed our locks to RV Locks (usually Black Friday they have them 40% off). I can give anyone the code if I need them to get in for any reason.
As for monitoring, we have 2 Canary View cameras as they tell the temperature along with me being able to see our furry baby (plus you can set alerts if the temp changes). It needs wifi so we were leaving my husbands cell phone hooked to it since we're together anyway lol. We have now purchased to wifi gateway for our 2021 3763bp. It's only a $10/month add on to our Verizon plan for 15GB of hotspot. Plenty for the cameras and a cheap way to get piece of mind. Enjoy your travels!
ReadyToRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
First of all congratulations! I have the same trailer and a dog. You said basic solar flex but what does that mean? There are 4 different packages. I have the SF400 which only comes with a 2000 watt inverter. It doesn't have the second dedicated AC inverter. The FX600 comes with the soft start AC, second inverter and lithium batteries. This is one step from top of the line so not basic.

*Performance will vary based on available sunlight, battery size/type, and power usage.

https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex-600i-l-overview

Personally I wouldn't leave my dog unattended in the trailer for any extended period of time for too many reasons to list but I wouldn't have a problem with a short period. And I'd have a neighbor keep an eye out.

As far as the WiFi and security the unit comes with 4G LTE WIFI prep.

4G LTE/WIFI ANTENNA PREP
If equipped, 12 volt power is provided to supply power to an aftermarket
modem (not provided). This feature requires additional aftermarket equipment
(router/modem/antenna upgrade/ data plan) to function. Please visitwww.
winegard.com,www.furrion.comfor more information concerning aftermarket
equipment
Old 03-08-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
ellomumsy

M.O.C. #30248
Hmmm, I don't know what we have, then. I'll have to look it up. So much to learn. And I'm very hesitant to leave my doggo AT ALL, but we are going for a month and I can't imagine leaving him back home for that long. He's very attached (as am I). And I think we'll be doing some sightseeing where he can't come. But I have the BringFido app, so hoping to find lots to do WITH him.

Thanks for this info.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
ellomumsy

M.O.C. #30248
I'll look into all of this!
Old 03-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Chris,

Our dogs go everywhere we do, they are never left behind unless one of us stays back also.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:20 PM   #7
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
We'll leave ours in the trailer for 10 or so hours at a time. If it's hot we crack windows and leave the AC set. Daytime in a trailer without AC if it goes out is not that big a deal for a dog. I certainly wouldn't trust an RV solar system to reliably kick in if park power becomes a problem. Driving them around in the truck is more dangerous than them sleeping all day in the trailer. We cage ours then seatbelt the cage.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:26 PM   #8
ellomumsy

M.O.C. #30248
Well, that's good to know because of course in a car it heats up pretty quickly. I guess I just figured the RV would do the same (although it's 34 feet so I guess it would take a lot longer). We will be in FL in May and figured that would get pretty hot. But I never thought of cracking the windows on top of leaving the AC running. I don't think we'd ever be gone longer than half a day. Can't wait until we figure out this RV stuff. Grateful for this thread and all of you who have commented on it.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:01 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We have always had dogs in our 37 years of marriage and camping. We have never left them in the camper, unless it was an absolute must. Yes, we are concerned about air conditioning and heat. My parents had a dog die several years ago when it got shut up in the garage in the summer. (detached from the house). They didn't realize the dog was in there and the garage heated up to the point it killed the dog. The dog was middle age and very healthy. It was a Siberian Husky at that.

But this is not the primary reason we never leave the dogs alone. Think of life from the dog's perspective. Granted, some folks think of their dogs as not having emotion and they are nothing but a piece of property, nothing more than a concrete block laying in the back yard. These people should never have pets! Never.

A dog has emotions and feelings and their entire world is YOU.. To the dog, you are GOD. You are their life! They adore you. They love you. They will die for you.

2 years ago we had a dachshund that felt threatened by another dog when the other dog started approaching me. She jumped between up, held her ground. Before I could even reach her, the other dog, much bigger, grabbed her by the neck from above, wrung her like a rag doll and threw her to the ground. She was dead that quick. The back of her neck was ripped from shoulder to shoulder and blood everywhere. She felt she had to defend me. She gave her life thinking she was protecting me. THAT's how loyal dogs are you to you. You are their whole world.

So, when you leave them behind, they are devastated. All they want is to be with you. Nothing else. They don't care what you are doing as long as they are with you. When you leave, their world is shattered. They are lost. They mourn, they cry, they bark, they have separation anxiety complexes.

So while you are off gally-vanting around, your dog is miserable being left behind because they have no clue if God is ever coming back. They are now, in their world, living in hell.

If you take your dog with you on your road trips, just like taking kids along, you need to plan your entire trip around the kids (don't you?). You plan on leaving one parent with the kids if you have to run errands. You plan on activities where you can take the kids with you. You never leave your kids alone (do you?).

Well, your dog is your fur baby. This is your child. And the child should never be left alone.

Also, if you've never seen it, watch the movie: Hachi: A Dog's Tale. I think that tells the entire story from a dog's perspective. And if you truly love your dog, you'll never want to leave your dog alone again.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:40 AM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
^^ I appreciate your approach in caring for your dogs. If I were a dog I would be glad to have you as a " mom and dad." We have a couple that are cared for in a special way as well. Dogs have a different emotion mindset that we people place upon them. They are mostly a product of the training they receive. Each of ours were at one time overly dependent upon our presence. Through training we broke that habit. We can now leave them in peace for us and them both. They do suffer while at a boarding kennel more than being alone but even that is getting better with practice. Actually, I think they enjoy periods of separation so they can get quality sleep time.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:58 AM   #11
Superchief05
Established Member

M.O.C. #29764
There is an app called “mywaggle” https://mywaggle.com/ It is touted by Matt from Matt’s RV reviews. It will send you a text message if the temperature deviates beyond set parameters. I dont own it but am considering it since we now have a travel pup.
2019 Ford F-350SRW Andersen Ultimate Hitch
Superchief05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:33 AM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
^^ I appreciate your approach in caring for your dogs. If I were a dog I would be glad to have you as a " mom and dad." We have a couple that are cared for in a special way as well. Dogs have a different emotion mindset that we people place upon them. The are mostly a product of the training they receive. Each of ours were at one time overly dependent upon our presence. Through training we broke that habit. We can now leave them in peace for us and them both. They do suffer while at a boarding kennel more than being alone but even that is getting better with practice. Actually, I think they enjoy periods of separation so they can get quality sleep time.
I agree with this 100%. People think a dog is human, etc. They were bred to hunt, etc (most breeds). I grew up on a farm and our dog was outside in it's doghouse. It was alone all day when we went away. Do you never leave kids with a baby sitter? The kids will cry and fuss, but eventually learn to take it.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:42 AM   #13
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
we leave our dogs in the RV at times, we have a camera on them, they sleep mostly. Same as at the House, if we go shopping we certainly don't bring the dogs, if we do lunch, sometimes it takes about 6 hours. when we both worked, they were left all day, guess I'm a bad dog owner!

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:07 PM   #14
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
Well I hate to be the one but to be brutally honest here goes. I truly understand & appreciate how we treasure & value our dogs/pets as a member of the family. I also understand our dog are not always welcome in certain places which presents a problem for you & the animal. With that said and coupled with previous comments please remember when a dog is left alone in a trailer, coach, tent etc. owners tend to forget how a lonely dog will whine or bark repeatedly sometimes for hours. First, I do not believe it can be healthy for a dog constantly barking and of course the other side is it wears on your neighbors peace of mind when a dog continue to bark over time. Just saying to avoid potential conflict.

Another useful tid bit of info on Florida is keep in mind Leaving pets inside a parked car is considered animal cruelty per Florida law and violators will receive a $500 fine if someone reported you. Never leave pets unattended inside a parked car, even if the window is cracked open.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:38 PM   #15
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Put a camera in the unit so you can keep a eye on the furry friends. There are different alarms you can use to monitor the 5th wheel and the furry friends.
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #16
ellomumsy

M.O.C. #30248
Appreciate the passion in this thread

So. My dog has FOMO (fear of missing out). He loves his people, especially me. I take him wherever I go whenever possible. I got him in the winter and was able to take him on errands and he could stay in the car, so he got used to chilling there (when weather permits) while I went into a store. I am hoping he'll be a therapy dog so I've tried giving him tons of different experiences. One of my favorite things to do is to sit outside at a coffee shop with him. He's gotten used to people walking by and staying settled. The harder part of his training, for me, was to leave him alone. But I knew I had to train him not to have separation anxiety. He will "yell" at me sometimes when he realizes he's not coming with me (because most of the time he does) but settles right down. And I know that because he greets me calmly at the door when I get back, and sometimes if I forget something and go back in the house he has already settled. He doesn't destroy anything in the house. He's really well-balanced. I'm hoping for the best with this trip, that he won't be a barking pest. Going to pull the shades down to try and prevent him from barking at everyone walking by. I do not think that he will just bark and bark and bark when I leave. So, I'm going to look at some of these camera suggestions and do more research, figure out the best plan of action, and learn along the way. Thanks, everybody.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:16 PM   #17
ellomumsy

M.O.C. #30248
Thanks for letting me know that law!
Old 03-13-2022, 01:38 PM   #18
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellomumsy View Post
Hi all,

I know pieces of this are probably covered in other threads, but this is more of a basic question (I've been searching). We have a new Montana with a SolarFlex system. It's parked on a local campground where it will be when we aren't traveling. It was late getting to us so they winterized it for us. So we got it and we haven't been able to use it, yet! But our first trip is coming up in May. Headed to FL, with stops along the east coast. We will be taking our dog. Our RV has the basic SolarFlex system. 2022 Montana High Country 295RL. It's our retirement gift!

Safety questions (for our pup)

My most basic question is if the power goes out, does the SolarFlex system automatically kick in to keep the air conditioner running? I'm worried about the heat when we have to leave our pup behind. And afraid to go anyplace where I wouldn't be able to get back in time should the air conditioning system fail.

Do you leave a spare key with the campground in case of emergency? Or hide it someplace on the outside of the RV where you can tell them to look?

What monitoring system do you use? I've read that campground wifi can be spotty, but we also won't be traveling in our RV year-round, so probably would prefer to get a wifi device. But I'm thinking that might be problematic if wifi connectivity at campgrounds is a common issue. I saw a recommendation for a separate hotspot device, which seems costly and we would only want it while traveling.

Is there an RV app that would allow you to actually keep tabs on (or even operate) your temperature/solar controls remotely instead of getting a separate device? Sort of like what Nest heating controls for your home do?

Would love to get a blink camera (system). I've read that they will alert temperature issues, is that true? But maybe they are too much for campground wifi systems?

I also plan on keeping the shades down - to help keep it cooler and keep him from barking at passersby.

That's a lot of questions, but in general, I'm looking for advice on how to keep my dog safe. I know we won't be able to bring him everywhere we want to visit. But he'll come with us whenever he can.

Thanks!

Chris
I have 600AH of Lithium batteries, I NEVER run the AC on battery. You have a lot of learning to do, but first step is do NOT leave the dog alone. The factory installed solar systems are a good start, but still need beefing up for real world use. I have all Victron equipmnent and yes there is an app so I can monitor from anywhere BUT of course the RV has to be connected to the net somehow. Thanks to Elon Musk, we RVers now have the best solution with Starlink, works everywhere and fairly inexpensive.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:12 PM   #19
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
Dog

We have taken our 13 year old Golden with us on our 5th wheel trips. Never leave him alone for more than a couple hours. Heading to the Keys end of this month from Arizona. Since we had to book a year in advance, we did our research and found multiple doggy day care options all over Florida. Don't trust your AC. 999/1000 you will have no problem but.....
Speck56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:14 PM   #20
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Dog in RV

We travel with two huskies. We are OK leaving them in the RV for an hour or less if we go to the pool, but if we are going to be gone all day, we take them to a doggie day care. We have them registered at local day cares for the places we go regularly. Otherwise, the girls go with us. We try to do dog friendly trips.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pet, safety, solar