Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2022, 06:23 PM   #1
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
RO water filter install (drill countertop)

I am tired of buying bottled water or drinking bad campground water. So I am going to install an RO filter. My question is what can I use to drill a 1/2 hole in the counter top? The counter top appears to be some kind of solid surface but I don't know what it is.

our rig is a 2013 Montana 3625RE

tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I believe it is Corian?
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:49 PM   #3
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomJerram View Post
I am tired of buying bottled water or drinking bad campground water. So I am going to install an RO filter. My question is what can I use to drill a 1/2 hole in the counter top? The counter top appears to be some kind of solid surface but I don't know what it is.

our rig is a 2013 Montana 3625RE
It’s Corian so any drill bit will work.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
As others have said.... It drills and cuts easily. I put big holes in our sink covers to allow better drying of the sinks with them on. Used a standard wood hole saw. No problems at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6332.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	11055  
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:41 AM   #5
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
Thanks to all that answered. I was assuming it was Corian but wanted confirmation. I'll give it a try
Old 01-21-2022, 10:46 AM   #6
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomJerram View Post
Thanks to all that answered. I was assuming it was Corian but wanted confirmation. I'll give it a try
I always start my holes with my step drill. They make incredibly clean, perfectly round holes. In thicker materials like your countertop I stop once I get to the diameter I'm looking for and then follow with a standard bit. If you can get to the backside of the hole oftentimes you can use the step drill alone.

If you do decide to add one to your toolbox do not cheap out. I have two and they are both Irwin. Not cheap but I've had them for decades and they're still going strong. I think most big box stores carry them.

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-1...0004THZ0&psc=1

https://youtu.be/KBrjkqPpVvo?t=393
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:47 PM   #7
jjwhite368
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27830
To the right of the sink.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	98B9DF2B-0BCB-4938-BF1C-574AC1FB1C61_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	11061  
jjwhite368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #8
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
I was going to put it in the left hand upper corner of the large bowl. We leave that one uncovered and the small one covered to gain extra counter space.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:22 PM   #9
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
Not sure that it is actually "Corian" but it is a plastic resin solid surface so it can be machined/drilled with any normal tools.
ACKLM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 03:33 PM   #10
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
As mentioned, it's an easily drilled/machined surface that can be drilled or cut easily without specialty tools.

I had the same idea you have a couple of years ago and installed an RO in mine. The downsides are that it does eat up some space in the cabinet with the filter unit and storage tank, if the storage is an issue for you. The other downside I learned was the beating it takes while traveling. I was so proud of mine when I installed it until I arrived at the campground and found the filter housings busted.

I ended up removing what was left of it, but am seriously considering installing another one for same reasons as you.

I highly recommend securely strapping the filters and tank down. If you look at online plumbing supply vendors, they sell mounting hardware for expansion tanks required for tank type water heaters. The RO tank is very close to same diameter and these clamps will work well. I added a plywood reinforcement to an existing partition in my island cabinet to mount the filters to. You have to mount the filter unit slightly above the cabinet floor in order to remove filters for maintenance. This is where my failure occurred. Since the filter canisters do not touch the cabinet floor or the wall the unit is mounted to, they just beat themselves to death during travel. If I install another one, I'm thinking about buying some Armaflex type refrigeration insulation sheets and wrapping and securing with some zip ties unless I can find something better. Make sure and install an isolation valve if you do have a leak, you don't have to turn the sink supply off.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 03:43 PM   #11
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
A couple of things I forgot to mention. Filter and RO membrane replacements are recommended on time intervals which are based on residential usage. Since the RV won't have much usage those intervals will be much too often. I recommend buying a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter. These are relatively inexpensive and you can test from time to time to see if filter replacement is needed.

The other issue is winterization. I seriously doubt you could blow enough air through an RO to empty it, and you certainly don't want to pump antifreeze through it. The best option is to just remove it and store it indoors somewhere until needed again.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:53 AM   #12
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
I replaced our faucet with this one (photo). Has separate line for the filtered water tap. Take care selecting RO as most use water to clean the membrane (issue when running off pump/tank). Works well in our rig and fit existing hole.

I've fabricated Corian before and though this isn't corian agree with others here who've said it machines well (I replaced a counter in this rig which needed a little trim).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20220220-074347_Chrome.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	11391  
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:57 AM   #13
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
I replaced our faucet with this one (photo). Has separate line for the filtered water tap. Take care selecting RO as most use water to clean the membrane (issue when running off pump/tank). Works well in our rig and fit existing hole.

I've fabricated Corian before and though this isn't corian agree with others here who've said it machines well (I replaced a counter in this rig which needed a little trim).
While the solid surface used now is not Corian brand until about 2013-2014 it was actual Corian.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:11 AM   #14
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
I think it may be LG's top material now, I think there was a label but can't remember since replacing the chipped coffee bar top was early last year. It was from our original PDI list, had to wait for the top so just did it myself instead of 9 hour round trip to dealer. It isn't very thick (they buildup the edge profile). I'd say just shy of 1/2"...
Old 02-20-2022, 06:15 AM   #15
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
I think it may be LG's top material now, I think there was a label but can't remember since replacing the chipped coffee bar top was early last year. It was from our original PDI list, had to wait for the top so just did it myself instead of 9 hour round trip to dealer. It isn't very thick (they buildup the edge profile). I'd say just shy of 1/2"...
All solid surface is 1/2” thick and the edges are always laminated to get the thickness. You can get some that is 1/4” thick for wall panels and other architectural uses but the standard is 1/2” for every brand from Corian, lg, Hanex and staron
Old 02-20-2022, 07:48 AM   #16
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Agreed, just letting OP know what to expect when drilling. All these manufacturers nominally refer to their sheetgoods as 1/2" but the material in my replacement top felt shy of that to my hand (I have a lot of carpentry background). Didn't put a calliper on it but I'd bet less than 1/2" (much like most plywood you can buy today). I'd guess this was a true 12mm or maybe even shy of that? Still beats the laminates from days gone by...

BTW - while thinking about this I realized the last time I worked with Corian was probably 20 years ago - time flies.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #17
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Before you go to all that you might want to check out zero water filters they can set on counter are in the refrigerator
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:14 PM   #18
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
Too Late. All installed and I could not be happier with the results. It makes nasty Florida water drinkable and no more bottles to mess with. When I winterize I will just remove the filter system and the tank and take it inside.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:40 PM   #19
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I don't know the floor plan on your model, but mine has the kitchen sink in an island where I mounted the RO in the cabinet underneath. I have a residential refrigerator with icemaker. The water line to the icemaker is located under the sink also, you can easily put in a tee and feed RO water to the icemaker too.

Tags
counter top, water filter