Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #1
Chaseurs
Established Member

M.O.C. #21204
Over the air antenna

We own a 2021 model 3120RL. Been working through some of the bugs. Have concluded that the KeyTV gizmo is junk. Ran a coax cable in through the bottom of the living room slide to hook up the King Tailgater to the Wally box, and now the satellite system works great.
The OTA antenna is the next issue. At our winter quarters in Arizona we get 28 channels. Next door neighbor has a batwing, which is NOT extended and he gets 90+ channels. Another neighbor 200 feet away, with his batwing extended gets 100+ channels. Any suggestions on a better antenna we can attach to the ladder, or something? I'm not interested in installing a batwing on the roof and all the hassles that entails.
thanks
Doug

Chaseurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We have a 2019 model. No Key TV (TG).
Our stock Ota antenna receiver gets channels from 75 miles away.
We bought Dish for home and for $7/mo more we have Dish to go. Of course we had to buy a satellite dish and a wally receiver.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Winegard service rep at the national rally told us that the old style antenna that you crank up is better than the new short ones they are installing. It does a much better job reaching more channels and he advised we keep what we have rather than “upgrading”.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
The wineguard 360 that is on my 2019 3813 is worthless if you are more than 30 to 40 miles from stations or dont have a clear shot to work with. You need to pull your Key connect box out, mine is in the bay where you can check the connections, all of mine were loose. After I tightened the connections things worked much better. All cables are color coded.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:05 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Couple of images of the Air360 Plus… this may help you 7ndsrsfnsd why this antenna will never perform as well as the older crank up batwing antenna with amplified head
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1DA3941F-19F6-4EAC-9C84-A954B28FB966.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	10634   Click image for larger version

Name:	40C2AB68-3BC8-4FF4-9BDB-C3B45AF86F39.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	10635  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:42 AM   #6
Lanny1763

M.O.C. #25556
I feel your pain. Our OTA antenna was positioned on the roof behind the bedroom AC housing, so if the station antennas were in that direction, forget about receiving them. I bought an inexpensive OTA antenna, hooked it to the top of the ladder so that the ACs weren't inline with the station antennas. Ran the coax into the KeyTV controller in place of the rooftop coax, so that it sent signal to LR and BR TVs. This worked for me.
I also ran a dedicated coax from LR TV to wet bay area to connect my Playmaker. I did find that if you connect a regular dish that does not require power, to the KeyTV controller it worked.
Good luck and safe travels.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #7
Amtracker
Established Member

M.O.C. #27726
Dish tv tailgater

I am in no way an expert on TV issues however, I found what works for us. After hooking up our dish through the RV system (Satellite connections) many times and it never seemed to work, I hooked the dish direct to the box (in the camper). It is rumored by many that the dish system just does not have the power to push the signal through the RV system. I'm told it has something to do with the junction connectors in the walls of the RV. I'm told the signal is trying to push to each outlet and does not have the power to perform. Who knows what the real reasons are? This process (direct to the box) seems to work for us but is limited to the main tv.
Amtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The King Jack works well. It takes the place of the batwing on the mast.

Amtracker, wiring satellite directly solves many issues. We put in a jack in the slide wall to make a straight shot. That factory satellite connection looks good on the showroom floor but not very functional.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #9
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
pretty much the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
The wineguard 360 that is on my 2019 3813 is worthless if you are more than 30 to 40 miles from stations or dont have a clear shot to work with. You need to pull your Key connect box out, mine is in the bay where you can check the connections, all of mine were loose. After I tightened the connections things worked much better. All cables are color coded.
I bought and installed the Wineguard Air 360+ to try and improve the reception. I t was a fail, good for close stations but nothing like the advertisement for the antenna. Under perfect conditions maybe it works like advertised but not in real world use. Maybe our expectations for a new product are just to high and the reception can never be duplicated like the factory tests...... back to Direct tv.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #10
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petmoose View Post
Winegard service rep at the national rally told us that the old style antenna that you crank up is better than the new short ones they are installing. It does a much better job reaching more channels and he advised we keep what we have rather than “upgrading”.
That has been my experience. People right next to me with the bat wing style antenna get far more OTA stations than I do. Turning it helps, but not much and you have to be receiving the station at some level (after scanning) before you can fine tune by turning it.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #11
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtracker View Post
I am in no way an expert on TV issues however, I found what works for us. After hooking up our dish through the RV system (Satellite connections) many times and it never seemed to work, I hooked the dish direct to the box (in the camper). It is rumored by many that the dish system just does not have the power to push the signal through the RV system. I'm told it has something to do with the junction connectors in the walls of the RV. I'm told the signal is trying to push to each outlet and does not have the power to perform. Who knows what the real reasons are? This process (direct to the box) seems to work for us but is limited to the main tv.
Amtracker - I routed a 6’ coax pigtail down and out the back corner of the slide out and into the wiring loom. I hook up the Dish Tailgator to the pigtail and I do not have to go thru the window any longer. Montana Man installed a connection thru the outer wall. DW did not want me drilling thru the camper exterior…seems she has seen some of my work! Anyway - the pigtail concept or the wall connection both work and will solve your issue.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #12
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Key TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseurs View Post
We own a 2021 model 3120RL. Been working through some of the bugs. Have concluded that the KeyTV gizmo is junk. Ran a coax cable in through the bottom of the living room slide to hook up the King Tailgater to the Wally box, and now the satellite system works great.
The OTA antenna is the next issue. At our winter quarters in Arizona we get 28 channels. Next door neighbor has a batwing, which is NOT extended and he gets 90+ channels. Another neighbor 200 feet away, with his batwing extended gets 100+ channels. Any suggestions on a better antenna we can attach to the ladder, or something? I'm not interested in installing a batwing on the roof and all the hassles that entails.
thanks
Doug
Doug,
I'm sorry I didn't see this post sooner. If you are willing, will you private message me your serial number and phone number. I'd like to get my Key TV group in contact with you.

Thanks