Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #41
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Latest update!

We made it! We're here. We at Cullman Campground near Cullman, Alabama. Look like this will be our home away from home for the next 30 days. We slipped out of Indiana at just the right window of opportunity, because I just got a report is snowing again at home.

Got the campground "streaming" wifi package and appears all is well. Ready for work on Monday morning. Only problem is, there is an hour difference in time between Indiana and Alabama. So, local time... I'll need to be on line at 6:00 am! But the good news is ... local time ... I'll be able to log out at 2:30 pm!

Now, about Covid and the Gestapo type of scare the media was putting out about 2 months ago. Well ... nothing happened! We transitioned between states with absolutely no hint of police anywhere! Even truck weigh stations were closed, Interstate rest areas all open and a lot of traffic on the road. Once we got into Tenessee, we were seeing an RV-camper of some sort heading North about ever 3 minutes. It was kind of strange seeing so many this time of year.

Each place we stopped for fuel, potty breaks, or foods was different. Some places, no one was wearing a mask, not even the tellers. Yet the sign outside said Masks required. Others were all masks. In Kentucky, the signs said masks required anywhere on their property, even if walking around outside (state mandate). Other places, a mix of masks and no masks.

I suppose, pretty much, it's do what you want because that's what everyone else is doing. Now, I imagine there are some states and places that are much tougher. But really, this thing seems to be pretty much at the mercy of the various shop owners and what they are allowing to slip by or not.

Anyway, we made our destination! We decided to go ahead and be bold and not let unknown fear keep us at home. I think we made the right choice.

So here we are. Camper un-winterized, all set to go for 30 days and get out of that dreaded COLD Indiana!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #42
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Dutch, good for you.
We left snowy Western NY (Rochester/Buffalo area) at the end of Sept. Wanted to make sure we beat the cold. Got into FLA in mid Oct and will be here till mid May, provided it warms up, up North.
We saw about the same as you when we came down. Some CGs everything was done over the phone and check-in info outside their office, others business as usual.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:27 PM   #43
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Dutchmen good for you and glad you made it. The world isn't ending as some report and is not a bad place to be in if you take precautions. Have fun and enjoy your time out and about.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:52 AM   #44
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Glad to see you made it to my back door lol, well not quite about 50 miles east of our home. We Alabama yesterday and made it to Van Buren AR for work, will be here for about 4 to 5 months. Yes the world is not shut down, we have been traveling sense 12/1 from Ca to home in Al and back west to Ar with no issues at all. Even though a lot are not wearing masks we do any and every where we stop or go.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #45
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Update!

We've been having a very enjoyable time at the campground here in Cullman, Alabama. However, our time is coming to an end soon. We were scheduled to return home on Jan 30 and be home on Jan 31.

My son and grandson (7 years old, 1st grade now) live with us and with the covid "thing" going on, his school has bounced back and fort a few times this school year from in-the-building attendance to virtual attendance. For the last several weeks they've been back in the building.

We received a phone call from my son yesterday that the boy's teacher came down with covid and her entire class is now "back home" supposedly in quarantine. I know kids are not necessarily the prime victims of covid, but still, if they are asking the kids to quarantine then there must be some reason to keep each one of them isolated from the others.

So, I STILL do not know what to believe about this whole covid thing. But, I've proceeded with caution and so far have escaped it's clutches. I'm almost 66 years old, in pretty good health except for the usual old people problems, like high blood pressure and cholesterol and sugar a bit high type of stuff. I had a knee replacement 3 years ago, so the knee is vulnerable to infection, and I'm constantly aware of any type of infection that would, or could, infect that knee. In other words, I'm on top of my health pretty keen right now.

So, with all that, my wife told me with the risk of our grandson being a carrier of Covid, even if he is not affected himself, is just a risk she didn't want me to be exposed to. She she made the command decision that we are staying here at this campground for at least 1 more week than planned. That will put the grandson more than 14 days since the school mandated quarantine.

As you can imagine, we are soooooooooooo heartbroken we cannot return to Indiana where this morning they experience an ice storm! And the temps here, in the shade, under the trailer, reached 68!

Meanwhile, the "work form camper" scenario for both of us has been absolutely great! The internet connection here has been pretty good, and we have had to use our cell phone hotspots a couple times. But the doggies are driving us nuts. They are still pup's, and bark at absolutely everything that makes noise and everything that does not make noise. This is a very active campground too. Lots of people coming and going, almost everyone we've met coming in are heading to Florida or Gulf Shores, most from Michigan or Indiana.

We've met some really nice people! Everyone we've talked to is so grateful to be traveling somewhere or anywhere.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #46
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
Yes would be nice to travel again looks like up here in Ontario we wont be going anywhere soon. Boarders still shut down cases rising . my own thought that by feb or march we will be in total lockdown. they have said they may have travel stopped completely for 2 weeks. My trailer moved once last summer and got such a hassel it was parked after that. Wont even be able to fly to an island like we do every year. very depressing
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #47
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
One final update.... WE'RE BACK HOME NOW.

Everything went very, very well. No issues at all. The only issue we had was, leaving Cullman, Friday the day before we left, the temps were about 55. Sunday morning when we woke up in bed at home, in the house, the outside temperature was 1 degree above zero (in Anderson, Indiana).

Here are some lessons learned from our 5 week stay.

First, (for us), the stay at one place was too long. In the future, I think we will be staying 2 weeks at one location and then move again.

Second, we do have a need to return home every so often.

Third, when working from the camper, setting up and leaving up our computers for work, the camper gets claustrophobic real fast. Also, have too little 4 legged fur balls that love to play with their squeeker toys and chew up and destroy paper plates. Feeding them on paper plates is a lot nicer than having to clean dog bows. But the trade off is, they love to eat, then destroy their dinner ware. Between the toys, the shredded paper, and the computer set up, claustrophobic feeling are easy to get.

Fourth, Even though the campground had reasonable good internet which worked very well for our company computers, there we times when their internet wifi just sucked. And we flipped back over to our cell phone wifi hot spots. Lesson learned, even if the campground advertises a paid streaming wifi service, or a premium service for a fee, always be prepared for a back-up, IF you job depends on internet access. I'm glad we had our phones.

Fifth.... full timing just sucks! Why! Because if you are parked long enough at one location, you make friends with other campers. Then they pack up and leave to their next destination. This really sucks! We met some really wonderful people and then had to say good-bye. All my life, I've been pretty much a loaner. But opening your heart up to other folks and then saying good-bye ... well, that's just sucks!

Camper towed wonderful. Had absolutely no problems, nothing broke down, we ate really good, I lost 5 pounds, and we came back with a refrigerator full of stuff and just finished moving everything back into the house.

We're looking at the month of March to do this again. It was an absolutely great 5 weeks. Looking forward to more -- and a bit longer the next time.

An oh, on our return home, we too I-65 from Alabama to Louisville, KY, and then veered off at Jefferson, Indiana and eventually ended up on Highway 31 and then Highway 9 into Pendleton.

The cops were out full force Saturday. We saw several vehicles pulled over (both directions), in Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky on I-65. So if traveling that route, watch it. "They" are out there.

As far as Corona goes, on the way home, there were no gestop police anywhere, and face masks seem to be about 50/50 everywhere now.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #48
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Sir, I believe your Dear Wife is correct in the comment about youngsters can be carriers without ever showing signs or getting sick. This means of contracting the disease is so unfortunate in so many ways, but it is one of the reasons many jurisdictions are limiting gatherings to 5 or fewer, of the same household. Hopefully this nightmare will be over soon, so that we can all get together with all of our families, regardless of the roof under which they live.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We listen to science and medical folks not face book or any social media. We take the proper precautions . We are not in a cave or locked in our S &B we do what we normally do. We take the Virus seriously. We did get our 1st covid vaccine last week and are scheduled for the 2nd dose 29 days from that date. We have not planned any summer travel yet but will do so at a later date and we are planning on the upcoming winter at our Florida residence.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:44 AM   #50
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Glad you trip went well. Those friends you made don't have to be gone forever. Many long termers meet up from time to time.

As you experienced, travel during Covid doesn't always mean major problems as we are led to believe. Except on the left coast where many are paid not to work. Campground owners are closing and taking a break so call ahead and often.