Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #61
DCT

M.O.C. #26473
Smile Tow Vehicle options

Run the numbers on the new 2020 Silverado 2500 HD 6.6 Gas SRW
16,900 towing
10,350 GVWR
24,000 GCWR
3,524 Payload (Pin, hitch, passengers)

We tow a 3121RL with this rig and no issues whatsoever even though we are near the Payload max - I am considering airbags. Its solid in cross winds, and handles steep grades easily. The only issue vs a diesel is compression braking is not as good, but between trailer and truck brakes this has never been a concern. We live in Arizona where the grades do not match Colorado, but having traveled CO and Idaho I can say you should be OK with Gas and save a few $$$.

DCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #62
AZMont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26281
Don't just look at GCVW, but also look at cargo capacity. Most 3/4 tons only have a cargo capacity of 2000# which includes passengers and gear in the truck in addition to trailer pin weight. Most 1 ton's have a cargo capacity of 4,000#. When I CAT scaled my 3100 RL, found my pin weight to be 3,400#. I'd recommend a 1 ton.
AZMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #63
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by fftim29 View Post
I pull my 2016 3160RL With a 2014 Ram 2500 w/ 6.7 diesel. It works just fine and have never had a days problem. This being said... IF I had a choice though, I would upgrade to the 1 Ton DRW. I am right on the edge with my current situation and would really love that piece of mind knowing I could hook up to just about anything and pull away. My $0.02
I have the same setup but with with the 1 ton and I'm on the edge for weight and I've got 12300 gvwr. The 3/4 will be overweight.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #64
seadiverjoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #26835
We just took delivery of a 3121RL legacy last Thursday. In waiting for it we discovered that the hitch weight was 2350 and our 2016 F250 would not handle it. We ended up trading for an F350 2018. It tows like a dream!!
seadiverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #65
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
I have a Ram 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4 Diesel 3.73 Aisin that pulls my 3813 easily. Any speed and any conditions. My payload is 4,200 pounds and I’m pulling 16,000 pounds or so.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #66
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I Pull a 2018 40 ft Montana with a 1 ton SRW diesel no problems
Had a 2011 3/4 gas an had to add air bags drop about 9 inches when hook up
No issues with 1 ton
On our srw it was axle weight we were over,, dually now,,..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #67
jdwinks

M.O.C. #24545
We use to tow with ram 2500 6.4....thought for over a year about jumping up to ram 3500 drw 6.4...wish i would have done it sooner...if u want a relaxing tow go with the diesel..if u want to always be a little nervous stick with the gas...i always thought diesel owners seemed a little 'fanatical' ...now i know why...PULL THE TRIGGER. go DIESEL
jdwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #68
eZAK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26857
Popular-Mechanics-featuring-the-Harmon-Shadow-in-May-1972.webp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
"Without a single issue"----famous last words until you do have an issue. You know like when you kill that family of 4 because your truck was overweight and you couldn't control it going down that mountain pass...…

Since someone has already went the "Semi Truck" overkill. Let me go the other way and say you could potentially put a hitch on top of a Volkswagon Bettle and get the wheels rolling on one of our monster trailers. Anyone care to be the idiot that tries that???? Its not about getting the wheels to roll, its about stopping them and handling that load SAFELY!!!

Let me put this another way, we should give someone asking, honest true advice and if anything ERR ON THE SIDE OF SAFETY. YOU may have driven a million miles with an undersized truck (although I suspect the transmission will fall out of it at about 100K). That does NOT mean you should recommend doing the same to someone who may not know better. It has nothing to do with saving money. It's all about SAFETY!!!!

To me that dictates recommending the next size larger truck than the specs absolutely say is the bare minimum. If you need a 3/4 ton at a minimum get a 1 ton SRW. If you need a 1 ton SRW opt for the dually. That isn't radical advice or suggesting that anyone spend an excessive amount of money. And to be honest I really don't get why anyone would have an issue with it!!!
Old 09-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #69
eZAK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26857
Old 09-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #70
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Yes folks I have seen the commercials for those "featherweight" trailers being towed by VW. BUT all of us know that our Montana weigh considerably more than those trailers...….. Anyone on here want to try towing their Montana with a small car?? Can I sell tickets to the accident? Just to make in interesting can we set it up for downhill run on a mountain with a 1000' cliff on either side of the road and have a camera to record the look on the driver/victims face?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #71
Michael.shafer

M.O.C. #24750
Ram 3500

We went through the same thing last year when we wanted a new RAM and decided on the 3500 Diesel. The main reason we went with a 3500 was because I wanted the Aisin transmission and it only came in the 2019 3500 not the 2500. Plus now I can pull anything.
Michael.shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #72
jeepjrn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24167
Totally Agree mlh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Before this is over probably in many pages someone will say you must have a semi. To answer your question if I were you I would buy a 1 ton and I would compare all three. That way when you buy you will know you have the best truck for you not for someone else.
Lynwood
Everything you say mlh would be exactly my thoughts, my as well just go to the Freightliner and Kenworth dealers before all is said and done. But to answer honestly from many years of towing and truck driving with the past 2 years specifically towing a 3121RL 20th anniversary Montana. Last year I still had my 2011 2500HD Duramax and I towed the Montana about 5,000 miles with many being in the Smokey and Blueridge mountains. To be truthful I never had a problem nor did I ever feel unsafe. Last winter I bought a leftover 2019 3500HD Duramax and I probably have over 4,000 miles on it, with one trip down south through the mountains, to be totally honest I don’t notice much of a difference moving to a 1 ton. Yes, it was a more refined ride but I think that more due the 8 years of improvements and technology. Now I can’t specifically quote the weights, nor each wheel weight, nor hitch weight and not really my truck’s towing capacity. But I probably should after joining MOC and reading all these somewhat scary horror stories, but I guess I’m not that concerned as I’ve never been prompted to feel the least bit unsafe. I’ll keep the scales for weighing my 48 foot flatbed trailer I pull behind my K-Whopper. As mlh suggested for the couple dollars difference buy the 1-ton and drive all 3 to get a feel for which one you like and fits your pocketbook. Good luck and wishing you safe travels
jeepjrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #73
Peter1965
Established Member

M.O.C. #20319
The answer to this is pretty simple. Both will probably pull it and you will get both answers I am sure. I have a 375fl that I have pulled with both an F250 with a V10 and a 3500 Ram dually. I will say this. As long as I have a trailer this large I won't go back. Could the F250 pull the trailer? Sure it could and I did it for about 2 years. it is nothing compared to the way the 3500 pulls. I also wouldn't want anything less than the dually. Again, can an SRW pull it sure it can but in my eyes there is no comparison between them. I found the SRW just a bit too pitchy for my liking. I live in northwest Indiana and anyone who has ever had a semi blow by them at 85 mph like they do on I80 doesnt want any pitchyness in their trailer. They threw you over into the next lane.

None of this even touches weight issues. I will leave that to others to flesh out for you.
Peter1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #74
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1965 View Post
The answer to this is pretty simple. Both will probably pull it and you will get both answers I am sure. I have a 375fl that I have pulled with both an F250 with a V10 and a 3500 Ram dually. I will say this. As long as I have a trailer this large I won't go back. Could the F250 pull the trailer? Sure it could and I did it for about 2 years. it is nothing compared to the way the 3500 pulls. I also wouldn't want anything less than the dually. Again, can an SRW pull it sure it can but in my eyes there is no comparison between them. I found the SRW just a bit too pitchy for my liking. I live in northwest Indiana and anyone who has ever had a semi blow by them at 85 mph like they do on I80 doesnt want any pitchyness in their trailer. They threw you over into the next lane.

None of this even touches weight issues. I will leave that to others to flesh out for you.
I really like your answer, I tell what my actual payload and pounds towing are and leave this alone so you are the yin to my yang.
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #75
Sparky55
Established Member

M.O.C. #25383
Montana 5 th wheel

For the last 7 years we had a 1 ton srw. It wasn’t bad except in the mountains in t made me nervous because of winds. We now have peace of mind with our new 1 ton ram duelly. Enough said.
Sparky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #76
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjrn View Post
Everything you say mlh would be exactly my thoughts, my as well just go to the Freightliner and Kenworth dealers before all is said and done. But to answer honestly from many years of towing and truck driving with the past 2 years specifically towing a 3121RL 20th anniversary Montana. Last year I still had my 2011 2500HD Duramax and I towed the Montana about 5,000 miles with many being in the Smokey and Blueridge mountains. To be truthful I never had a problem nor did I ever feel unsafe. Last winter I bought a leftover 2019 3500HD Duramax and I probably have over 4,000 miles on it, with one trip down south through the mountains, to be totally honest I don’t notice much of a difference moving to a 1 ton. Yes, it was a more refined ride but I think that more due the 8 years of improvements and technology. Now I can’t specifically quote the weights, nor each wheel weight, nor hitch weight and not really my truck’s towing capacity. But I probably should after joining MOC and reading all these somewhat scary horror stories, but I guess I’m not that concerned as I’ve never been prompted to feel the least bit unsafe. I’ll keep the scales for weighing my 48 foot flatbed trailer I pull behind my K-Whopper. As mlh suggested for the couple dollars difference buy the 1-ton and drive all 3 to get a feel for which one you like and fits your pocketbook. Good luck and wishing you safe travels
My brother and I have had the same experience. He had a 3500 DRW Dmax. Great truck. I have a F250 Ford with 20 inch wheels. We pulled my camper with both trucks. We couldn’t tell any difference in the trucks. My brother was a diehard Chevy fan and if he said he said he couldn’t see any difference you could take it to the bank.
Go google J2807 tow limits. See what you find. For example why are the DRW trucks tested at 30 MPH while the SRW trucks tested at 35 MPH. and why is brake performance done at Walmart parking lot speeds. Why wasn’t they tested at real world speeds. I would like to know how they performed at interstate
speeds.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #77
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Go google J2807 tow limits. See what you find. For example why are the DRW trucks tested at 30 MPH while the SRW trucks tested at 35 MPH. and why is brake performance done at Walmart parking lot speeds. Why wasn’t they tested at real world speeds. I would like to know how they performed at interstate
speeds.
Lynwood
Keep researching the SAE standard. They have several tests including a steep grade in AZ to NV at highway (or whatever speed) they can achieve.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #78
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
That is the Davis Dam pull. It’s 11 miles up hill. The truck must complete it without any trouble or throwing any codes.
Lynwood
Old 09-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #79
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I agree any testing should be done under real world conditions IE: with a trailer attached and at highway speed. Testing should not only include braking distance but also braking stability. I would also like to see testing for side loading (sway) and such under load at various conditions (particularly downhill in wind and curves).

Also like to see some data on tire stress under load.

Common sense and experience tells me the dually will win this battle due to design. Its wider and has more rubber on the ground.

I only care about how the truck performs when pushed to maximum use towing. What it does empty doesn't matter if it can't perform the heaviest job I will ask of it!!! An SRW is slightly easier to park and maneuver in tight areas but that does not matter if it is not as safe as the dually when towing my RV down a mountain road. We have two vehicles for a reason. If the wife wants to park next to the beauty parlor she takes the small SUV we own. But truth is she is quite comfortable driving the 1 ton dually. In fact, she was the one that pointed out how much more stable it was compared to our 3/4 ton srw. I guess some guys are just not as tough as my wife...…….

For us, it wasn't just about the payload or towing numbers. It was about safety and confidence. We were willing to pay a little bit more for a lot of confidence that we had plenty of truck. I think the majority of folks are in agreement with that idea.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #80
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post

Common sense and experience tells me the dually will win this battle due to design. Its wider and has more rubber on the ground.

I agree but the dually should be tested at the same speeds as the SRW trucks not slower as is the case now.
Lynwood