Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hey, those are nice. Yep, that should be great.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #22
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I think I have decided on an OEM double battery box, an isolator switch, and I think that the existing single vent will suffice. Went to the rig today to try to get the generator started again, filled propane tanks, got there and the battery was dead. Will go back tomorrow with the portable generator to charge the thing and see what happens. The battery being dead has reinforced the decision to go with a two battery (staying with 12v since we don't boondock) system and the isolator switch will let me completely turn the batteries off and preserve the charge. Hopefully tackle the job in the next couple of weeks. Ozz is inspiring me to get back in productive mode with the rig, got a lot to do to get ready for the camping season.
Bingo
Bingo,

Check to make sure your security light is not turned on via remote. The Module draws power right from the battery via 30Amp auto-reset breaker. I the light is turned on via the remote, it will stay on, and it is hard to see in daylight. If on via the remote, it will stay lite, even if the battery disconnection has been turned.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #23
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Ozz,

We had a wonderful time this past long weekend (Thursday - Monday). Never turn on the convert the whole time, so all DC loads were from the batteries. Traveled with the Inverter on, to run Frig on AC. Batteries ran about 7-8 degrees cooler than outside temperature the whole time. Max load on my batteries is around 280 Amp, when the inverter is running at full power.

Last summer, batteries were always cooler than outside temperature also. I know you went with bigger charger than the 80Amp converter I have, but with the converter putting 80Amp + plus another 20+ Amp from solar panels the six 6 Volt batteries never heated up or gassed.

I have not had any problem with venting, in one year there hasn't been any corrosion on terminals what so ever. You can smell any gases unless you put you nose right down by the batteries.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #24
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am no expert on batteries, I just relayed what I read, and my experience with my battery bank here at the house.
My charger and the (stick) house load here would be much greater than the RV example.
I read on one of the solar 'off grid' sites about spacing the batteries apart for air circulation. I assume they knew what they were talking about, but who knows..
I am glad your batteries didn't out-gas and they didn't overheat, because I can look foreword to mine running cool and not out-gassing in my RV application.
You have much more experience with RV solar and Inverter usage than I do.
I know the engineers have designed a temperature sensor for my Maxim Inverter-charger so there must be a need for it.
I bought it and will use it with my system.
We will see how the whole thing works out.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #25
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This probably is way too late for you Ozz, but it may help others down the line. I have a plastic battery box which holds four golf cart batteries. Yes, four batteries in one box!

I bought it around four years ago. I recently went looking for the source as I wanted to buy another box. The link I had bookmarked no longer worked. I did a lot of Google searches but I couldn't locate a supplier.

Yesterday I found a posting on RV.net which took me to the supplier. Here is the link to a four GC battery box
http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...fm/4,5576.html
The box comes with a flat lid with sides to cover it.

The price is cheaper than I remember, it is now only $65.96. I did have to add a top vent and a bottom drain, but that was no big deal.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That is slick, for that price you couldn't build one.
Does it fit up front in your model?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:15 AM   #27
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808

Great Web site Carl, has lots of other stuff too.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 AM   #28
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

That is slick, for that price you couldn't build one.
Does it fit up front in your model?
The box fits nicely in my 2005 rig. The only annoyance is the rear battery cells are a little more difficult to see into (because of the hydraulic pump platform above them) when checking the water. But if you contort a bit, or use a mirror, you can see them.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 AM   #29
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Thanks for the information. That is what I have been looking for.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote