Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2007, 06:37 AM   #21
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
J&D I like your solution as far as practical and it looks affordable. Can you help me with your suppler you used to put the cords together?

Good post David been looking at ways to defeat the 50 Amp cord also, now it can go to bottom of the pile!

Ceara brought up a good point the 50 Amp does split up the the circuits. Each side of the 50 Amp supplies buses in the circuits box. Examples left side supplies breakers #1 and 2, then #3 and 4, draw power from right side of 50 Amp service. That alternates through the breaker box.

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:57 AM   #22
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We have run into CG situations in which one cord just wasn't long enough.

I carry both 30 and 50. My 30 requires a 30 male to 50 marine-type female adapter to attach it to the rig. It has a locking collar on the female part of the adapter. I don't use an Autoformer. Probably a good idea.

Adapters..In addition to the 30 male to 50 female, I also carry 50 male to 30 female, and a 15 male to 30 female. That lets me tie both cables together if necessary for a long run and I can run from either a 30 amp outlet or a 50 amp outlet for that. Using my heavy duty 75' extension cord, and the 15 to 30 adapter, I can even hook up to a 15 amp plug and have a really long run for minimal "emergency" use. e.g., overnight in Aunt Jane's driveway....

We only have one A/C, so either 30 or 50 service is OK, but I use 50 service when available. I do that because the larger gage wire = lower voltage drop. Got to admit that handling the 30 amp cord is easier, but, what the heck...gotta do SOMETHING physical now and then....LOL.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #23
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Lots of very useful info here so far. Some clear answers--and some points where I could benefit from further clarification.

50 amp OEM cord--sounds like it clearly makes sense to take it along with me while full-timing, but I haven't heard anyone say they found any need for any 50 amp extension cord. So just stick with the standard OEM cord.

30 amp power cords--I definitely will get one 25' 30 amp cord. Think I can get away with holding off on getting a second 30 amp cord for now. If I find myself in one of those CGs with the power pole up front, I can always tie the 30 amp and the 50 amp OEM cords together with an adapter.

Adapters--definitely need at least one to connect the 30 amp cord to the Montana if I'm using 30 amp power, which means a 30 amp male to 50 amp female, correct? Does the 50 amp female need to be one of the marine type that has the locking collar, or can it have just any ordinary type female connection? I also see the sense of the 15 male to 30 female so I can hookup to 15 amp power if needed. Patodonn suggests the 50 male to 30 female--but not sure if I understand just when and how I would be using that one. Can someone clarify?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

Lots of very useful info here so far. Some clear answers--and some points where I could benefit from further clarification.

50 amp OEM cord--sounds like it clearly makes sense to take it along with me while full-timing, but I haven't heard anyone say they found any need for any 50 amp extension cord. So just stick with the standard OEM cord.

30 amp power cords--I definitely will get one 25' 30 amp cord. Think I can get away with holding off on getting a second 30 amp cord for now. If I find myself in one of those CGs with the power pole up front, I can always tie the 30 amp and the 50 amp OEM cords together with an adapter.

Adapters--definitely need at least one to connect the 30 amp cord to the Montana if I'm using 30 amp power, which means a 30 amp male to 50 amp female, correct? Does the 50 amp female need to be one of the marine type that has the locking collar, or can it have just any ordinary type female connection? I also see the sense of the 15 male to 30 female so I can hookup to 15 amp power if needed. Patodonn suggests the 50 male to 30 female--but not sure if I understand just when and how I would be using that one. Can someone clarify?
I carry a 15' 50-amp extension cable. Have had many occasions over the past 6+ years to use it.

You need a 50 male to 30 female if you happen to be using a 50-amp autoformer or surge guard and only have access to 30 amp CG power.

I also carry two 30' 30-amp cables. I've been as far away as 80' from a plug-in.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:57 AM   #25
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I think you have to answer if you want a 50AMP extension.
1st my extra 30 Amps extensions came with me when I upgraded. If I was going out to buy one now I would get the 50Amp. If I need to use 50 AMP then I have it.
Some of the questions you have to answer is what is the normal current draw you will use. Will you use both ACs and the Dryer at the same time. If yes then you need a 50 AMP extension cord. I think your useage will have to answer you question.
The 50Amp circuit breaker at our park pole failed. I was able to put the 30 to 50 adapter in service and do two things. First it verified the lost of power was a park problem and not inside the trailer. Second it allowed us to have power throughout the trailer for that night and next day until repaired. I ran one 1500 W heater and the fireplace on the 30 amp adaptor. It was warm but not hot and did not blow the breaker. Not an operation I would want to run all the time. Bottom line what is your normal power usage?
Cheers,

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #26
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have a two foot 50/30 extension that we use at the CG's that have only 30 amp service. We also have a 30/15 amp adapter that I bought at Rural King for when we are parked at our son's house. Paid less than $15.00 for both.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #27
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I have had to use my 25' 50A extension and the marine cable that came with my rig when I stayed at the KOA that Suncoast RV owns in Lake Park, GA. One of the tricks is to NEVER leave the power cord in a doughnut or stacked on itself because it will generate too much heat and cause problems either with the cord or one of the adaptor ends of the cord.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #28
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
This seems like the right thread to ask about the 50-Amp RV Box Adapter that Camping World sells. They say it is a way to get 50 Amps in RV Parks that only have 30 Amps. Anyone have any experience with one of theses?

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...r/skunum=25774
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #29
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Grant
Wouldn't you have to have access to 2 30 amp outlets? Most CG only give you one per site.
Happy trails.............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:21 AM   #30
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
How about a 30 and a 20 amp outlet?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:30 AM   #31
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Craig--I see your warning about having a power cord coiled in a doughnut or wrapped on top of itself. But isn't that what people are doing who leave their 50 amp cord rolled up in the basket that comes with the Monty and just pull out as much of the cord as they need when they hookup? Is that really a problem condition?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:02 AM   #32
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
When you coil an extension cord in a container you are making a coil inductor. I don't know if this would be a problem with the 50 amp cord due to its thicker insulation and few coils, but I do know that a 15 amp cord coiled in a 5 gallon bucket with about half of it in the bucket will melt the bucket. After doing this in my early days of aircraft maintenance, I have always been cautious about having a coiled cord.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:38 AM   #33
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
The coiled 50 amp cord has been discussed before. Several thoughts were posted since a lot of MOCers are doing it. The basket has holes so there is air as opposed to a bucket. And also the 50 amp cord is heavily insulated. We've been doing it this way for 2+ years and it is also always on electric when here at the house. I'm sure there are others who are cautious about this method so I guess it is back to the "whatever makes you comfortable".
Happy trails........................
Old 01-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #34
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I also keep the cord in the laundry basket.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/inductor.htm .. Become educated ...jretz is absolutly correct and what he describes can and has happened..My guess is that the bucket was metal and /or there was other things in it besides the coil of wire.I would not coil that 50 amp cord up in the basket them throw a 15 lbs chunk of steel inside the coil with it powered up. Otherwiswe we are pretty much OK.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #36
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Rich, I'm not sure what you are saying. Is it your opinion that the 50 amp cord coiled in the basket is okay as long as there is nothing else in there?
Happy trails.......................
Old 01-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #37
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Re the 50 male to 30 female adapter, as requested by Orv, that will allow you to hook your 30 amp cord into a 50 amp recepticle at the CG if, for example, the CG's 30 amp recepticle (or CB) was broken and you only had a 50 amp outlet at the CG. Strangely enough, it did happen to us.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #38
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
This appears to be one situation I'd want a mentor nearby until I could visualize it. Too many electrical decisions for one not experienced in electric.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Rich, I'm not sure what you are saying. Is it your opinion that the 50 amp cord coiled in the basket is okay as long as there is nothing else in there?
Happy trails.......................
''very simply we are ok. Do this.. with the 50 amp cable coiled in the basket and powered up place a compass in the center of the coiled up cable..It should fluctuate..you are seeing a electromagnetic field caused by voltage/ current passing through a wire. Remember driving under a hi tension line and hearing the hiss on AM radio.. you drove through a electromagnetic field. Now if you placed a block of steel in there the compass may go wild..bigger electromagnetic field.Now for those who understand this stuff this is verrry simple..I am suggesting that there is no problem under normal conditions in the way we use the 50 amp cable. Having said that,,,I NEVER..coil my 50 amp cable when powered up..old habits die hard.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #40
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
sounds like there are lots of cords and adapters that one should get. They look expensive on the Camping World website, especially the 50 amp pieces. Where can one get them cheaper?