Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 01:15 PM   #41
allmi958

M.O.C. #24013
blame Wall Street

The price of crude oil, gas and diesel is all set by commodity traders on Wall Street and elsewhere. Wall Street thinks there is a shortage and they bid the price up. This looks like 2007 / 2008 all over again.

This said, our Congress Critters are looking at windfall taxes on oil companies which wil not help fix anything. Taxes are never paid by corporations. They are paid by us, the consumers of products.

My .02 cents worth.

We are still planning and traveling. Just not as much as we'd like to.

Mike

Old 05-15-2022, 01:40 PM   #42
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmi958 View Post
The price of crude oil, gas and diesel is all set by commodity traders on Wall Street and elsewhere. Wall Street thinks there is a shortage and they bid the price up. This looks like 2007 / 2008 all over again.

This said, our Congress Critters are looking at windfall taxes on oil companies which wil not help fix anything. Taxes are never paid by corporations. They are paid by us, the consumers of products.

My .02 cents worth.

We are still planning and traveling. Just not as much as we'd like to.

Mike
Did you read the link I posted earlier? Not disagreeing, but there is more to it than that. Comment on congress is on-target, so we are about to get shut down.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #43
HalH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26651
We are taking our 3711FL to Anapolis, MD for our daughter's wedding next month. That's over 3,200 miles without side trips, which runs out to at least $2,500 in fuel. If not being locked in, we would DEFINITELY reconsider.

Add in camp sites, expenses and food \ entertainment and the whole exercise loses the savings edge versus simply flying and staying in hotels. If not for the dogs and cancellation costs, at this point, we would change our plans. I am not even going to cry in my milk about the wedding costs. (OUCH! Being a Daddy can be hard some times. )
Old 05-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #44
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Things were affordable just a short time ago. What happened?
When did these price increases start? What changed?
Everyone in this country knows what happened even though only
half of the country will admit it.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:53 PM   #45
CajunRambler
Established Member

M.O.C. #29737
It will only get worse

I worked in the oilfield for 35 years, retired now. The current administration ended all development of new oil reservoirs, in Alaska they can’t develop one of the largest finds to date. This would not impact the current pricing but all oilfields around the world have a production decline rate, new fields help minimize it. All the development that was put on hold will be realized 5-10 years from now when it does not come online. This will definitely help force the electric car as a viable option but what people don’t realize is inflation will continue to rise with the price of fuel. Farmers pay more for fuel, transportation cost will increase, companies will not eat the cost, it will be passed on to us. It is not rocket science, I know I will have to pay it cause we want to travel, does not mean I am happy bout it. I just think the worst is yet to come.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:28 PM   #46
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Back to the original post…
We will travel to Oshkosh WI from Georgetown TX again this year for the Airshow. About 1250 miles if we go direct to get there but will take about 1800 miles to get home. Not sure how much more traveling we will be able to do like this and stay retired!

As an aside, we are presently in Amsterdam Netherlands for a few more days. Diesel prices are 2.29 euros per liter! At 3.8 liters to the gallon and $1.10 for a euro, they are paying about $9.57 for a gallon of diesel!
Our driver this morning had a natural gas powered car. He said the price for nat gas had doubled in the past 30 days….
Old 05-15-2022, 03:01 PM   #47
bradufault
Established Member

M.O.C. #13515
We been traveling since the late February time frame. We have paid any where from $4.10 to $5.29. Since Covid hit we have travel much but decided to go on a long trip.
We are having a great time seeing the country. We aren’t eating out much or buying anything except for Diesel but still enjoying the time.
We are not planning on being home for another 6 weeks. We’ll have choice on how we spend our money. Still cheaper then going to Europe for 2 weeks.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:12 PM   #48
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I have several trips and several months on the road planned, not changing and looking for more. Not happy with the price but this was promised along with higher electricity during the campaign. It’s not over, still going farther up and will not come down much in the future.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:13 PM   #49
strat56

M.O.C. #27567
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Its come down to either you can afford to pay it or you sell the RV and truck and sit home and grow old..

We choose to afford it... for now
I'm glad you can choose to afford it, there's plenty to do besides camp and sit home and grow old.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:47 PM   #50
Rhortie1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26252
We are still traveling as full timers. Currently in Northern California at$6.30 gal. I seen it as high as $8.30 gal in Death Valley. Yes it’s expensive but after 22 months of this lifestyle I’m not putting my life on hold. Gonna go as long as we can. I understand that not everyone can afford too but we are gonna suck it up and keep going. Still have 15 states left to see, God willing!
Old 05-15-2022, 03:50 PM   #51
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
We're headed to Four Mile Creek State Park near Niagara Falls on Lake Ontario mid June. I think the site I booked was like 400 bucks for 2 weeks. It's going to cost us $600 in fuel to get to and from Central Maryland
Old 05-15-2022, 04:30 PM   #52
Sokcap48
Established Member

M.O.C. #27141
We left southern Utah May 2nd. Basically traveling I40, deviating on short side trips here and there. Our prices have ran from $5.19,5.29 as high as 5.89 once. We are now outside Memphis our last fill up was $5.29. We are going to continue to work our way back to Utah thru Kansas, Nebraska,Colorado and back into southern Utah. Then we will park it for a month before we take off again but for a couple shorter trips. I have been blessed with a Double Lung Transplant 9-30-16. So we are going to keep traveling and living as long as it is feasible. We save a lot by doing our own food we do not eat out and I tried to book everything for this trip as economically but still being is fairly nice places. So I guess you could say for now at least we have at least 2 more trips to take before we head for Arizona for the winter, that would be number for 4 counting the one we are on now.
Pullrite Super Slider
Old 05-15-2022, 04:50 PM   #53
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Hard to believe that a little over a year ago we paid $1.99 at Sam’s in Florida. It would be one thing if this was just impacting fuel, but everything has gone up, if you can get it. Right now we are keeping this year’s plans but next year was Alaska. 15,000 miles at those fuel prices will put us way over budget.
Our plan was to go to Alaska for the summer. I retired in a couple months ago and for most of 40 years planned to take this trip. But now the hope is for next year. Now planning short trips close to home.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:55 PM   #54
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokcap48 View Post
We left southern Utah May 2nd. Basically traveling I40, deviating on short side trips here and there. Our prices have ran from $5.19,5.29 as high as 5.89 once. We are now outside Memphis our last fill up was $5.29. We are going to continue to work our way back to Utah thru Kansas, Nebraska,Colorado and back into southern Utah. Then we will park it for a month before we take off again but for a couple shorter trips. I have been blessed with a Double Lung Transplant 9-30-16. So we are going to keep traveling and living as long as it is feasible. We save a lot by doing our own food we do not eat out and I tried to book everything for this trip as economically but still being is fairly nice places. So I guess you could say for now at least we have at least 2 more trips to take before we head for Arizona for the winter, that would be number for 4 counting the one we are on now.
I understand completely! Recently had a cancer scare besides I’m 74. How many trips do I have left? Not giving up any, didn’t for Covid and not for Biden.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:08 PM   #55
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I understand completely! Recently had a cancer scare besides I’m 74. How many trips do I have left? Not giving up any, didn’t for Covid and not for Biden.
I was just up in Massachusetts and diesel was $6.50 almost everywhere. Out here in Utah, it's still $5.25-5.35. I don't understand why the difference. As to the question - it's double to fill my tank from last year. So, I'll take half the trips. My travel budget is what it is. My pay didn't increase so hopefully my demand destruction is happening elsewhere and prices will come down. It would be awesome to have a domestic energy strategy that didn't wreck the economy.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:14 PM   #56
jmb98
Established Member

M.O.C. #22945
We started our summer travels on May 1st from AZ & just cleared CA yesterday. Paid $5.99-$6.09/gal for diesel along the way; now in Southern OR, where fuel was $5.99/gal. Parks are also charging more in most cases. Heading to BC to catch a cruise ship for 10 days in Alaska come early June. The rest of summer is yet TBD, but will likely include longer stays in the North. With DH’s declining health, we know this may be our last trip out, so we’re determined to make the most of it while we can, cost be damned.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:26 PM   #57
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
I was just up in Massachusetts and diesel was $6.50 almost everywhere. Out here in Utah, it's still $5.25-5.35. I don't understand why the difference. As to the question - it's double to fill my tank from last year. So, I'll take half the trips. My travel budget is what it is. My pay didn't increase so hopefully my demand destruction is happening elsewhere and prices will come down. It would be awesome to have a domestic energy strategy that didn't wreck the economy.
Easy to understand, some states love to tax heavier than others. Often diesel is taxed higher than gas. Your pay would need to increase weekly to keep up with inflation. At least now we know the govt definition of transitory, it means the transition from energy independence and low prices to begging other countries for energy products at high prices. I have been alternating between the truck tank and auxiliary, when at 1/2 it’s about $150 and switch to the other.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:48 PM   #58
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
In spite of warnings we are continuing to remove political posts on this thread. This thread is now closed.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
Closed Thread