Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Another use for mirror

Most of us will agree that the mirror on the front is not a lot of help with hitching up. We spend the winters in a park in Florida and the streets are not named here. This makes it difficult for emergency responders to find the correct site. Management has asked us to put legible site numbers on the fronts of our units (some are permanent park models, some transients like us). They prefer the numbers be lit up.

I came up with an idea: put the number on the mirror and turn the light on. I had the number printed, then took it into Staples and had it laminated. We will just remove it when we go home, and put it back up next year. We have friends here in the park with a trailer identical to ours, so I made one for them as well. I also noticed that not a lot of fifth wheels have a mirror on the front. We're so glad we do!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sign.jpg (209.0 KB, 32 views)

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
Camp CA
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Most of us will agree that the mirror on the front is not a lot of help with hitching up................. I came up with an idea: put the number on the mirror and turn the light on..............
Agree, the mirror is not useful hitching up so I use my tonneau cover lock, which is centered at the end of the cover, as a guide when hitching. Attaching a sign to the mirror is what I call re-purposing!!!
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25060
I don't find the mirror overly useful either.

We have a rule that we try to live by faithfully, and that is never hook / unhook in the dark. In all of our years of camping, I believe we have only done it twice that I remember, and it is no fun at all. With that being said, the light is just an invitation to hook/unhook in the dark. The only other reason that I could see for the light would be to illuminate the hitch to passerby's that there is something sticking out there, and shouldn't run into it.

But for hitching, no...
Old 03-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I agree that the mirror is all but totally useless EXCEPT for the re-purposing done here! Great idea!

As for hitching in the dark, we have zero problem doing that but I always use the cargo light on the truck instead of the one on the camper. The cargo light is shining back and not in your eyes. But then I'm the kind of person that doesn't have any problems driving in the dark either. Granted the older I get the less I am doing it. And we try to avoid leaving a campground at night out of respect for other campers.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Baldicon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20906
I kind of disagree. I use my camera to get lined up and close, but when the pin box starts riding up on the hitch, I use the mirror to see when hitch is fully under the pin box/kin pin. Saves banging it in too hard.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:29 AM   #6
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Coming from a public safety member for over 35 years, this is a neat idea as if we can't find you, we can't help you.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:50 AM   #7
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
People in our park want the owner to paint the site numbers on the road. Putting actual free standing signs at the front of the sites is not a good idea as it interferes with parking. The owner has so far not been amenable to that idea.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:58 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Since our 5er doesn't have self leveling. I mounted the side-to-side level in the middle of that less then useful mirror. Now it's where the 'navigator' can more easily watch - which reminds me - I need a new fore and aft mirror.