Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2024, 07:00 AM   #1
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Leaking Jack

I have a leaking front jack but isn't dropping, it just has fluid all over and wen I wash it off, it's back in about 2-3 days. How hard are these things to replace?
All of the hose connections are tight, so not 100% sure where the fluid is leaking from. I did noticed it has a plug in the top of it, what is that for and could this jack be screwing up my auto leveling?

rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 07:44 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Mike - I used the google search above/right to search the forum for “hydraulic jack repair” and read thru some of the threads. Main points i saw in those few threads…
- replacement jacks from lippert are expensive and lippert will not sell a replacement seal kit
- most folks find a local hydraulic repair shop, remove the jack and take it to the shop to rebuild
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 10:04 AM   #3
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
The landing gear jack will definitely effect your leveling, both FR to Rr and side to side.

If it has a plug in it, I'll bet it's on the R/H side? They probably made the cylinders the same and only need the 3rd port on the L/H side.

Check around wherever you happen to be for an industrial hydraulic shop or even some farm equipment places will rebuild them. If you give them the Lippert part number they might possibly have a cross reference chart for the seal kit. It's not really difficult at all and shouldn't be too expensive.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 10:30 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have a leaky front jack too. I finally figured out it is one of the hose fitting at the top of the jack. I am waiting until Fall to repair it. In the meantime, I carry spare connectors just in case it fails before then.

It sounds like you have a similar leak. I found mine by cleaning everything and then wrapping Kleenex around the fittings. Sure enough, the Kleenex got damp before dripping down the cylinder.

The jacks are easy to remove. Put cribbing under the front of the RV assuming you are removing one of the front jacks. Undo the hydraulic lines (expect some fluid leakage, so have something handy to catch it). Remove the 6 bolts holding the cylinder to the bracket. You probably will need a small impact driver to get them loose. Look carefully at the bolt/nut before you start. One of them, I think the nut but I could be wrong, has "splines" (I forget the technical name) that keep it from spinning. Use a wrench to keep the that piece from rotating and the impact to turn the bolt or nut from the other side.

Lippert is very proud of the hydraulic cylinders (~$600+).
If you have a leaky fitting, then those are even easier to replace (at least up front). Any hydraulic shop, farm store or even a Napa shop can make up a new (and much stronger) replacement line with fittings.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 10:40 AM   #5
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I have a leaky front jack too. I finally figured out it is one of the hose fitting at the top of the jack. I am waiting until Fall to repair it. In the meantime, I carry spare connectors just in case it fails before then.

It sounds like you have a similar leak. I found mine by cleaning everything and then wrapping Kleenex around the fittings. Sure enough, the Kleenex got damp before dripping down the cylinder.

The jacks are easy to remove. Put cribbing under the front of the RV assuming you are removing one of the front jacks. Undo the hydraulic lines (expect some fluid leakage, so have something handy to catch it). Remove the 6 bolts holding the cylinder to the bracket. You probably will need a small impact driver to get them loose. Look carefully at the bolt/nut before you start. One of them, I think the nut but I could be wrong, has "splines" (I forget the technical name) that keep it from spinning. Use a wrench to keep the that piece from rotating and the impact to turn the bolt or nut from the other side.

Lippert is very proud of the hydraulic cylinders (~$600+).
If you have a leaky fitting, then those are even easier to replace (at least up front). Any hydraulic shop, farm store or even a Napa shop can make up a new (and much stronger) replacement line with fittings.

yeah, its the front (drivers side) jack. When we go to it this weekend, I'm wrapping the connectors in a few towels to see which one is leaking. I did tighten them up but still leaks. The good thing is that it's not losing pressure and the rig isn't dropping.

thanks
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 11:12 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
You may have a leak on the top cap of that LG cylinder.. Three bolts hold top cap on ( one is a banjo bolt ) with an Oring underneath it on the cap side...

Typically that oring flattens out and will cause a slow seep.. This oring and the top cap oring seal are readily available at any decent hydraulic shop and some NAPA auto stores may also have it..

If the LG leaking is on the drivers side then simply hood RV to truck and raise the LG and unbolt the entire jack...

The hoses are long enough to allow jack to be completely removed and sit on ground so you can replace those seals...

Remount the LG leveler and cycle a few times to bleed air out
Mtn Home, Idaho
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 11:34 AM   #7
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Top cap removed from drivers side front LG.. banjo bolt seal and top cap seal marked with arrows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1593.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	17551  
Mtn Home, Idaho
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote