Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2024, 10:54 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Dash cam recommendation

After reading some discussions from MOC members regarding how a dash cam really helped them out when they were involved in an accident that wasn't their fault about two years ago I purchased a Type S 4K Ultra HD Dash Cam at Costco and paid a friend to hard wire it in to my fuse block. It has been working great until recently. Now when I start up my truck when it shows the date on the screen it defaults to 01/01/2021. I called the company (based in CA) and was told that yes, there is an internal battery to keep the date and time once it is set, but that the internal battery is not replaceable by the user or even them. I even asked if they sold an upgraded product that had a user replaceable battery and was told no. I feel like if and when I do need to show the dash cam footage to a law enforcement officer it will need to have the accurate day and time stamp. I would appreciate any recommendation for purchasing one that has a user replaceable internal battery. TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 11:20 AM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Of course there are many options and likely many different cameras used by folks here. I have this one in my truck and our car. So far it's worked well even though we haven't needed it to prove liability.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NLLH6JT...v_ov_lig_dp_it
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 12:45 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I have a Garmin that works well. If the only issue is the date stamp, I would continue using the one you have. The video would still have value even if the date is incorrect.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 01:03 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Wow, a major design flaw to have a non replaceable battery that only last 2 years in a product legitimately expected to last many years. A class action law suit could net lawyers millions! And actual purchasers would probably get a $25 rebate on a new one.

Makes you wonder how many other brands and models have a similar issue.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 01:09 PM   #5
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Both my insurance companies (USAA and Progressive) and my son in law who has been a police officer for many years have told me that if date and time stamp are incorrect that the video would be worthless in establishing fault.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 05:41 PM   #6
Rotnjonny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32150
I just installed the Red Tiger F7NP. It can be hard wired or plugged into a 12v outlet. It is front facing with a small screen but it links to your smart phone and can view the camera on your cell phone. Also has a separate rear camera. I set the rear camera up to point at my 5th wheel hitch. It records in a scheduled loop but you can also capture still images on demand.
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 05:06 PM   #7
buck119fa
Established Member

M.O.C. #33775
I've had close calls where I wished we had a dash cam, with those we found the need so a little trial and error to find what was best for us.
I have the Rove 4k on the windshield now and the Garmin mini in the rear window drivers side to view that rear/side view of the Truck and trailer (one close call was a near sideswipe on the camper that a dash cam wouldn't have caught).
I like the Rove 4k, date, time, GPS location, and speed stamp.
The Garmin has no stamps on the video but it's still valuable combined with the other if necessary.

I also have the Garmin 67W on my other vehicles, not a bad unit but moved to the Rove for all the data that can be selected and imbedded in the video while towing and traveling.
buck119fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 06:29 PM   #8
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
We've been using a Rove-4K for about a year and a half now. I was surprised at how many dash cam MFGs that have no GPS data for time / date stamp, GPS location and speed......
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 05:30 AM   #9
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
I am a big fan of the blackvue cams. They can be installed very discreet fast they have a small shape and footprint.
We have them in all cars.
I was able to prove my point in 4 cases with them and police could always figure out on the scene that the opponent was lying.
Never will run without one again.
There is a version with front and back cam.

https://shop.blackvue.com/product/dr770x-2ch-truck-lte/

I typically run the version without cloud connections.

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 09:07 AM   #10
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
We have a Garmin 47. Works very well.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 02:29 PM   #11
Bill Forester

M.O.C. #30594
We have had good luck with Rexing brand of dashcams. We have them in all our vehicles. They have all the features gps, date/time stamp, and fairly easy to setup. Check YouTube
Bill Forester is offline   Reply With Quote