Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Gun Hobby

Hello all,

One of my hobbies is shooting for fun/recreation. I have seen some threads on here discussing guns, so I guess it is okay. One of the "holes" in my collection was a fun target rifle, so I picked up a Remington 700 the other day - couldn't believe I was able to find one! I got a Nikon 4.5-14X40 to go on it, so now I just need to figure out how to sight it in. I just thought I would see if anyone else has been able to actually find anything in stock lately.

Also, I wanted to share a great deal I found. There is a well-known gun club that usually costs $1000 for a lifetime membership, and they are offering it for only $300 right now. I guess they don't do this very often so I thought I would share the info. I found it on Tom Gresham's website for his talk radio show called "Gun Talk":

http://www.guntalk.com/site.php?pageID=15&newsID=491

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Both Walmart and Academy are sold out of all small arms ammo except .22 cal.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
One of my fun target rifles is a 222 Remington 40 XBBR. I gave $295 for it new over 40 years ago. It was a real shooter then. It would shoot 5 shot groups of 3\8 inch at 100 yards. Now if they wont shoot under .2 at 100 yards I fix them. The last price I saw on the 222 was over $1000 and that was about 10 years ago. All little boys love the smell of burnt gun powder so go burn some. Be safe and have fun.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Both Walmart and Academy are sold out of all small arms ammo except .22 cal.
Yep. I was at a wholesale Sports the other day and the shelves were pretty bare. I lucked out and was able to get some .45 ammo, but they were out of other calibers I needed.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Sand bag the rifle so it will retain it's position after a shot. After the shot, confirm the sight picture is the same as when the shot was fired, move the crosshairs to the hole with the adjustment screws, without moving the rifle. Fire another round to verify the setting, repeat as necessary. I have been able to zero a rifle with one shot this way, verified with the second round.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

One of my fun target rifles is a 222 Remington 40 XBBR. I gave $295 for it new over 40 years ago. It was a real shooter then. It would shoot 5 shot groups of 3\8 inch at 100 yards. Now if they wont shoot under .2 at 100 yards I fix them. The last price I saw on the 222 was over $1000 and that was about 10 years ago. All little boys love the smell of burnt gun powder so go burn some. Be safe and have fun.
Lynwood
Sounds like a nice rifle. Since it's a custom job, I bet they are way over $1000 now... Can't wait to run a few rounds through this one and get her broke in...
Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Countryfolks

Sand bag the rifle so it will retain it's position after a shot. After the shot, confirm the sight picture is the same as when the shot was fired, move the crosshairs to the hole with the adjustment screws, without moving the rifle. Fire another round to verify the setting, repeat as necessary. I have been able to zero a rifle with one shot this way, verified with the second round.
Thanks Skip - sounds like a very efficient way to sight it in without wasting a bunch of rounds. Appreciate the input!

Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you have never broke one in, Fire one shot clean repeat at least 5 times then go to 3 shots until it quits copper flowing. Clean with something like Butches Bore Shine or Montana Extreme. These are the ones that all bench rest shooters use. Be sure to use a good cleaning rod not one of those 3 or 4 part jobs. You can ruin a rifle in short order by improper cleaning or no good cleaning equipment. And be sure to use a bore guide. I saw a guy ruin a $400 barrel in 1 bench rest match by not cleaning his rifle the correct way. Instead of pulling the rod out straight he pulled it out in an arc as he rotated his arm. Sinclair International or Haydon's Shooting Supply has every thing you need. I would try Russ Haydon, very nice people.
Lynwood
Old 01-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

If you have never broke one in, Fire one shot clean repeat at least 5 times then go to 3 shots until it quits copper flowing. Clean with something like Butches Bore Shine or Montana Extreme. These are the ones that all bench rest shooters use. Be sure to use a good cleaning rod not one of those 3 or 4 part jobs. You can ruin a rifle in short order by improper cleaning or no good cleaning equipment. And be sure to use a bore guide. I saw a guy ruin a $400 barrel in 1 bench rest match by not cleaning his rifle the correct way. Instead of pulling the rod out straight he pulled it out in an arc as he rotated his arm. Sinclair International or Haydon's Shooting Supply has every thing you need. I would try Russ Haydon, very nice people.
Lynwood
Thanks for the great advice Lynwood, appreciate it! Sounds like a very thorough way to do it right.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Remember that the weapon has it's own shot to shot repeat-ability tolerance so at some point you will need to fire a group to determine it's overall accuracy. Since it's a new rifle I think I would do it early on. That way you won't be chasing 2" when the weapon is only capable of 3". Probably the best time is at the verification, when the aiming point and the hole are pretty close try 2 more to get a 3 round group. It will almost certainly take several sets of groups before you are really comfortable [satisfied] with the settings.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Greg it sounds like you got yourself a nice new toy. I am a novice to shooting although I have been target shooting my whole life. One of my favorite guns to shoot with was my dad's SKS! I miss those days! I know this sounds dumb but I also had fun shooting the little Henry Mini 22 weight shot that I bought for my daughter!

Have fun getting her sighted in!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

Greg it sounds like you got yourself a nice new toy. I am a novice to shooting although I have been target shooting my whole life. One of my favorite guns to shoot with was my dad's SKS! I miss those days! I know this sounds dumb but I also had fun shooting the little Henry Mini 22 weight shot that I bought for my daughter!

Have fun getting her sighted in!
Hi Carol,

Hey those 22's are a blast to shoot, especially a nice Henry!

I'm definitely a novice to rifles and scopes. I have shot handguns for years, and have a little experience with shotguns, but this is my first real rifle. I'm hoping to get involved with a local range and get some help with mounting the scope and sighting it in.

I noticed you're in Quartzite - hope you're having a great time!

Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Nothing like spending a little time at the range to clear the mind. Was just out today shooting my 1945 built 22 Remington 513T I picked up. Military used them for training. Then there is the pleasure of cleaning it. Nothing better than the smell of Hoppe's. Have a class of all women next Sat. for a Basic Pistol Course. Good to see more women taking an interest in shooting.
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Here goes, I love my 220 swift single shot by Ruger. My loads are pushing 4000 FPS, with 53 grain hollow point. I have my leupold 6.5X20 power scope sighted in at 200 yards and a that distance it can drive tacks. I also enjoy my shooting my Marlin 39A, it's a sweet 22. On the walmart ammo, hear our government bought then out?????? Also the info on the cleaning rods is very good, all my rods are teflon coated and one piece. For sighting in, to start shoot at a target very close to you sand bagged gun 10 to 15 yards. Some will say start at 100 yards but you could shoot up a bunch of ammo to get on the paper. So, then shoot at the bullseye and see were the round goes. If it's way off adjust a little bit. Repeat as you move target down range.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Allen in MT

Nothing like spending a little time at the range to clear the mind. Was just out today shooting my 1945 built 22 Remington 513T I picked up. Military used them for training. Then there is the pleasure of cleaning it. Nothing better than the smell of Hoppe's. Have a class of all women next Sat. for a Basic Pistol Course. Good to see more women taking an interest in shooting.
Sounds like a nice gun Allen. Speaking of clearing the mind, I just saw a shirt that had a used target on it that said "Group Therapy".

My wife has been more interested in taking a class too. Cabela's is offering an orientation class just for the ladies coming up so she might do that. I'm looking to get a .22 for her to start out with to learn the basics and then move up.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

Here goes, I love my 220 swift single shot by Ruger. My loads are pushing 4000 FPS, with 53 grain hollow point. I have my leupold 6.5X20 power scope sighted in at 200 yards and a that distance it can drive tacks. I also enjoy my shooting my Marlin 39A, it's a sweet 22. On the walmart ammo, hear our government bought then out?????? Also the info on the cleaning rods is very good, all my rods are teflon coated and one piece. For sighting in, to start shoot at a target very close to you sand bagged gun 10 to 15 yards. Some will say start at 100 yards but you could shoot up a bunch of ammo to get on the paper. So, then shoot at the bullseye and see were the round goes. If it's way off adjust a little bit. Repeat as you move target down range.

kevin
Thanks for the suggestion on sighting in Kevin. I had heard the 100-yard idea too, but it makes sense to start a bit closer and move out from there.

The government buy-up of ammo is sure interesting. The IRS has put in a large order and of course Social Security too.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You guys and your talk of long guns is killing me. Had to give all the long guns up when we went full time. Still having fun with the short guys though. Found the sign on the gate at the Fall Rally humorous, however. NO GUNS! And just how are those of us who full time going to accomplish that. We just drove in and parked. Since we were following a group of over 200 active and retired military who's Rally was just before ours, my only worry was that I was definitely out gunned.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

You guys and your talk of long guns is killing me. Had to give all the long guns up when we went full time. Still having fun with the short guys though. Found the sign on the gate at the Fall Rally humorous, however. NO GUNS! And just how are those of us who full time going to accomplish that. We just drove in and parked. Since we were following a group of over 200 active and retired military who's Rally was just before ours, my only worry was that I was definitely out gunned.
Dick, I didn't see the sign. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #19
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

kevin
Thanks for the suggestion on sighting in Kevin. I had heard the 100-yard idea too, but it makes sense to start a bit closer and move out from there.

The government buy-up of ammo is sure interesting. The IRS has put in a large order and of course Social Security too.
The SS administration isn;t the only dept buying up ammo. Many of them have in the past year.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Kevin Is your Swift a No 1 or a 77V? The Swift is a great cartridge but I have never owned one. They got a bad rap because people didn't know how to load for them.
35 years ago I built a bolt action. One friend gave me a barrel off of a 222 40 XBBR and another gave me a stock off of another 40 XBBR so all I needed was an action so not being able to afford to buy one I made my own action. I chambered it for a 22-250. The barrel was 20 inches long and the gun very quickly got the name The Flame Thrower. It would shoot under 1\2 inch groups at 100 yds. Not great but OK for a free gun.
Lynwood