Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2022, 04:58 PM   #21
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by brclark82 View Post
To start off I have a 2022 High Country with electric auto level system. The batteries are fully charged and I am on 50A shore power.

Last night when I was setting up after I hit the auto level button the system started to work like normal but then just stopped and the screen shutoff part way through. When I turned it back on I get an error message. I try to clear the error message but as I am trying to extend all the jacks 6” it keeps shutting off every 10 seconds or so. I can hear a clicking noise in the front storage area like something resetting but can’t tell from where.

After a dozen cycles of this I get them all extended 6” but then it turns off immediately after I try to retract. I decide to cycle the battery switch, the converter breaker and the 12v box and when I go back out I starts to function as normal again and retracts the jacks in one try. Then it also lets me lower the front landing gear to get it off my truck again. I hit auto level and everything seems to be working fine still but right at the end after it’s almost completed the leveling and starting to put down the middle stabilizers it loses power again and gives me an error.

For now it is level enough to use for a few days but wondering if anyone has an idea of what’s happening.

Thanks
I recommend you talk to Lipert first before changing any breakers to 80 amp. They have always been very helpful.

Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:19 PM   #22
hobo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25221
Could it be the breaker understand they need to be changed to a larger amp
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:34 PM   #23
Waricha
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20684
Quote:
Originally Posted by brclark82 View Post
To start off I have a 2022 High Country with electric auto level system. The batteries are fully charged and I am on 50A shore power.

Last night when I was setting up after I hit the auto level button the system started to work like normal but then just stopped and the screen shutoff part way through. When I turned it back on I get an error message. I try to clear the error message but as I am trying to extend all the jacks 6” it keeps shutting off every 10 seconds or so. I can hear a clicking noise in the front storage area like something resetting but can’t tell from where.

After a dozen cycles of this I get them all extended 6” but then it turns off immediately after I try to retract. I decide to cycle the battery switch, the converter breaker and the 12v box and when I go back out I starts to function as normal again and retracts the jacks in one try. Then it also lets me lower the front landing gear to get it off my truck again. I hit auto level and everything seems to be working fine still but right at the end after it’s almost completed the leveling and starting to put down the middle stabilizers it loses power again and gives me an error.

For now it is level enough to use for a few days but wondering if anyone has an idea of what’s happening.

Thanks

Change the 40amp breaker they normally install to an 80 amp breaker.
Waricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:48 PM   #24
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Do NOT change to an 80 amp circuit breaker! Your MHC with electric levelers does not have the wire gauge size to support 80 amp service. Your wiring could potentially become a "fuse" - or worse. I would switch out to a known name brand 50 circuit breaker like Bussman or Blue Sea.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:34 AM   #25
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
Like many said, don't install an 80amp. I had/have the same issue. Was on the phone a few times with Lipert, good techs there. Anyway, my issue is a bad wire. If I remove the cover for the wiring that comes up from the floor to the module everything works great. Once I put the cover back on and screw it in the problem comes back. Now I just need to find the wire that is causing this issue.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:21 AM   #26
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I dont intend on uping the amperage of the breaker just replace it with a better quality breaker.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:30 AM   #27
TWP723
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28111
Hard to believe the breaker's bad. Sounds like a battery issue of some sort. Don't get me wrong, they can go bad but its rare. Something else makes the breaker bad, especially at such a young age. Constantly overloaded, short circuits, etc.
B&W Companion hitch
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #28
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Hard to believe the breaker's bad. Sounds like a battery issue of some sort. Don't get me wrong, they can go bad but its rare. Something else makes the breaker bad, especially at such a young age. Constantly overloaded, short circuits, etc.
Or CHEAP china junk? Let's face it in this day and age they use anything that's available. Nothing is consistent in the builds as far as components. The worst thing I did was replace a cheap component with a quality tested USA component? Good place to start I think!
Old 09-23-2022, 06:21 PM   #29
Kaboy08

M.O.C. #31208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneGreen View Post
Any time I've heard a reliable source recommend changing to the 80A breaker it was with hydraulics, not electric jacks. Breakers & fuses blow for a reason, randomly changing their value is a great way to burn down an RV.

I was having the same intermittent problem and couldn't find the source. If you let it sit for a few minutes the breaker would reset and you'd get a useless error code. Checked all the wires, hooked to shore power, yadda yadda yadda.

As a separate project, we installed lithium batteries, controller, etc and disconnected all the old battery components. Low-and-behold, 2 years and about 20,000 miles without a power issue. So my problem was either a poor crimp or bad breaker.
Yes I agree as a electrician I had the same issue. The breaker is most likely fine. If a breaker will not hold without a load or very lil load under its amp rating then yes. Without a amp clamp you won’t know. More than likely with the issues I have here and there this was one and now fixed. Check every connection if you’re unsure don’t like electricity a over tightened connection is just as bad as a under tightened connection. Use a temp gun or thermal it’ll heat up you’ll see it
Kaboy08 is offline   Reply With Quote