Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
J.J.

M.O.C. #27808
Dometic 4 Door Middle Flap Hinge Break

Hello Everyone -
We have a 2020 305RL Montana High Country.
On our last trip the upper hinge on the middle plastic flapper between the two bottom doors broke. After some research we determined our best solution to fix this problem was to replace the middle plastic flapper. Close to $450 and anyone can have a new one. Yup what a rip!! The reason it must be so expensive is because of a 'sensor' in the silly thing. Just guessing but I believe the flapper has a sensor that senses when the door(s) stay open too long and it must start beeping (just a guess).
The flapper was easy to replace. The replacement flapper worked, correctly, for about two weeks and then the sheet metal screws that held the upper hinge to the door tore out of the plastic. Yup again just a little upset.
The plastic that the sheet metal screws attach to the door looks to be about 1/2 on 1 millimeter thick. There was no way this was going to hold up to any stress.
Now the question is, has anyone else had this problem and is there any fix?
Our only thought is to use JB Weld to perhaps to shore up the plastic in the door, take off the plastic mechanism that is screwed to the top of the refer that swings the flapper in and out and open the bottom two doors by opening the right door first.
I checked with Dometic and was politely informed that this is a problem and I can purchase a new door if I wish.
Thanks for reading and offering any advice.
J.J.

J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote