Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
Bill Queen

M.O.C. #21916
tires that make Montana's go around

Had a blowout a few weeks ago, wiped out the lower tinfoil behind the left rear tire, so am on the hunt for new skins. I have been watching the forum for a long time and see that a lot of Montana fivers swear by Sailun tires. I proceeded to Les Schwab as I was told that they were a distributor. sure enough they had them, but the sales rep also showed me another tire from China that was also a 14 ply rating. It is named G574 Geostar all steel hiway. He said it had a deeper tred then the Sailun and a slightly different cross hatch to the tread. I guess I went to check on Sailun's but this tire looked impressive. anyone out there running these tires? the good, bad and ugly is important to know before purchase. the darn blowout cost me the price of one tire. thanks for your response. is 1K about right for four tires, new stems mounted and put on. also do you balance your trailer tires? sales rep said he does not balance his trailer tires. Hummm! is that correct???? thanks Bill from Montana

Bill Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
You should be able to get Saluns mounted and balanced for less than $800 unless they have had a recent price increase. Can’t speak to the Geostars, but why would you go for an unproven tire over a highly vetted one? Keep in mind the tire store is going to steer you (pun intended) to their most profitable product.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:11 AM   #3
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Just about all of the RV trailer tire manufacturers build the 16" LRG tires with the all steel casing. It's a matter of personal choice and ease of purchase. Sailun is the name brand front runner, mainly because they introduced them and got on the market first.

The Carlisle CSL 16 tires are probably the easiest to get because Walmart handles them.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl16/
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:14 AM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I don't know about Geostar but if you get them please share how they work for you. About balancing, that shop's statement about not balancing RV tires is enough to make me go elsewhere.

As a side note, make sure the trailer is jacked properly for the tire replacement job. I took my tires off and on to replace the tires to prevent damage and ensure proper wheel torque was applied.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you google problems with Geostar tires you'll find comments all over the place and several testing sites recommending against them. That's enough to make me stay with Sailun or Goodyear.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think I would let someone else test them out on their camper. Using tires on a trailer around town on short trips is a lot different than on a camper on the interstate at 70 miles per hour in Montana. I like gambling when the odds are in my favor. I’ll let someone else gamble with a $200 tire on a $80,000 camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #7
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
In my experience, Chinese tires are junk, and are to be avoided at all cost. I’ve been hearing good things about the Sailun tires, though, so of the two you mention I’d go with the Sailuns. Personally, I run Goodrich Commercial T/A on my 2955RL, and have been very happy with them.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I went with my second set of Goodyear G614's on our Monte and have been happy with them ever since they were put on the unit back in 2014. Yes, they are a little more expensive but I know I can find them anywhere I go if I have a problem with them. The Sailuns are being put on the units now and we were told at one of the National Fall Rallies a year or two ago that the reason Montana went with the Sailun tire is because it came to them a little cheaper than the Goodyear and they had tested both and the Sailun came out just a fraction of a point or so higher in performance than the Goodyear. Again it was mainly because the Sailun manufacturer was a little cheaper than the Goodyear pricing to them. I have heard of the Geostar and as DQDick stated from his research of them and my checking of them, they are worse than the Chinabombs that were on the Montana's about 8-10 years ago. I'll stick with my Goodyears.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
While at the Tampa Show in January, I saw units with "Good Ride" tires, and the people making the comments "Oh look, Goodyear tires" just reading Good and not even seeing the Ride.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
I went with my second set of Goodyear G614's on our Monte and have been happy with them ever since they were put on the unit back in 2014. Yes, they are a little more expensive but I know I can find them anywhere I go if I have a problem with them. The Sailuns are being put on the units now and we were told at one of the National Fall Rallies a year or two ago that the reason Montana went with the Sailun tire is because it came to them a little cheaper than the Goodyear and they had tested both and the Sailun came out just a fraction of a point or so higher in performance than the Goodyear. Again it was mainly because the Sailun manufacturer was a little cheaper than the Goodyear pricing to them. I have heard of the Geostar and as DQDick stated from his research of them and my checking of them, they are worse than the Chinabombs that were on the Montana's about 8-10 years ago. I'll stick with my Goodyears.

A little cheaper is an understatement , The Goodyears are nearly double the cost of the Sailuns ,and arguably the inferior tire to the Sailun. I'll stick to the Sailuns. Just to many reports of blowouts with the G614 Goodyears.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #11
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
While at the Tampa Show in January, I saw units with "Good Ride" tires, and the people making the comments "Oh look, Goodyear tires" just reading Good and not even seeing the Ride.
Goodride says:
"The Best Selling Trailer Tires in North America"

Before this post I had never heard of them. Go figure.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #12
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Goodride says:
"The Best Selling Trailer Tires in North America"

Before this post I had never heard of them. Go figure.
must be popular in Canada
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #13
Ford350man
Established Member

M.O.C. #21220
My dad always told me growing up the that” Good Tires” are the best insurance you can buy.
Ford350man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #14
Sac Colorado
Established Member

M.O.C. #20706
Scattershot,

I have Sailun G-rated tires on my Montana - not original but an upgrade. I haven't had any issues with them. I did want to mention, based on your comment, that Sailun's are made in China BUT they are commercial grade tires and G-rated. I would and will buy them again based on the price and the build quality seems to be quite high. They seem to be a real "bargain" compared to the price of the Goodyear G614 tires - less that 1/2 the price per tire.
Sac Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #15
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Sailun also come in 17.5 sizes also, plus they also have plants in Viet Nam and South Korea that I know of.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #16
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac Colorado View Post
Scattershot,

I have Sailun G-rated tires on my Montana - not original but an upgrade. I haven't had any issues with them. I did want to mention, based on your comment, that Sailun's are made in China BUT they are commercial grade tires and G-rated. I would and will buy them again based on the price and the build quality seems to be quite high. They seem to be a real "bargain" compared to the price of the Goodyear G614 tires - less that 1/2 the price per tire.
Their ST tires should not be confused with the advertisements for their commercial truck tire line-up.

http://gosailun.com/MRT/Tire/S637T

Its all in the marketing. Here is another brand building the very same tire and has introduced a 15" all steel as well.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl16/
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #17
Sharmanclan
Established Member

M.O.C. #23552
Just had a set of Sailuns installed on our HC 330RL. Paid C$902.50 at Fountain Tire in Edmonton, Alberta. They really are great tires and cannot complain at the price! I agree that the best possible tires are as good an insurance policy (plus some TPMS) given the weight of trailers these days.
Sharmanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #18
Sac Colorado
Established Member

M.O.C. #20706
Hi, I have the commercial grade S637 tires on my Montana - they say "Made in China" on the tire. Someone mentiioned that they are apparently also manufactured in Vietnam and South Korea but mine say China. My point is, that these are a great tires for the Montana and making a blanket statement such as "all chinese tires are junk" might not be true. You do need to do you homework and purchase the S637's G-rated commercial tires and make sure that your rims are rated for 110 psi and hopefully your travels will free from tire issues. Of course, you need to make sure any and every tire is properly inflated, lug nuts torqued correctly, visual inspection of tread and inside and outside sidewalls, bearings regularly repacked, blah, blah, blah
Sac Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #19
Photomonjax
Established Member

M.O.C. #18178
Stay away from any brand of China bombs. I have run goodyear G 614s for the past 5 years with no problems, from Florida to Alaska and back and from Florida to Washington State and back. So Goodyear or Sailun. Good Luck
Photomonjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #20
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
It doesn't appear the OP has replied back so my thoughts;

I had them put Sailun S637s on this trailer before it left the lot. It had OEM Ranier tires which I knew nothing about and didn't want to find out.

The Goodyears appear to be good tires so far. They are not readily available from my efforts looking into them. Example; when I was looking for a tire to put on this trailer; Goodyear G614 was special order everywhere I called; Sailun; 63 in stock and I wanted a tire that was readily available! Additionally the Goodyear was about double the cost of the Sailun. Only got a couple thousand miles on them now and did great towing. So far I'm happy.

As far as China made vs ? I think it's a matter of generalizations, stereotyping and the failure or inability to dig into the facts of failures. I had a Trailer King failure on my last trailer that did 7k in damage. Another owner on another forum had a similar failure. Tracking back the manufacturer code they came from the same plant in China; different trailers, different years; same tire/plant. Looking into other failures where anyone could provide any manufacturer code it seemed they all went right back to that plant and/or province.

In the end I decided it's not so much ALL Chinese tires are junk, just some when they come from specific plants. I also think that dictated processes, oversight and QC play a hand in what comes out of those plants.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote