Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
Awning adjustment slips

The brackets on our Dometic power awnings (2020 3121RL) are adjustable in order to control the angle of the awning. That's a good feature to accommodate different sun or rain conditions. My problem has been getting the awnings to stay in position when I only hand-tighten the adjustment knob. A modest gust is all that is needed to "defeat" the friction of the knob. I have resorted to using a pair of channel locks to crank it down. Just wondered if anyone else has this problem or might have discovered a more "elegant" solution.

ACKLM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
When we had our Monty with that same Awning we had the same exact issue. To get around it I positioned the awning at the pitch I wanted and drilled a small hole through the adjusting arm and installed a small right angle, similar to an Allen Wrench.
So would just deploy the awning as usual then pull the arm down an insert my pin.
JUST remember to remove that pin before trying to retract!!
Old 03-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I look at that as a safety issue. If the wind gusts will move the crank down stops it's time to tie the awnings down.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
We are conservative when it comes to having awnings out with any wind about. But just a gentle "puff" of breeze seems enough to sometimes overcome the stop. The gas struts that support the awning are fairly powerful, so that also contributes to the force against the crank-downs. I miss the Carefree of Colorado awning that we had on our previous unit. The wind auto-retract feature was great.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
That is an idea. Thanks.