Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
Rick-Sr
Established Member

M.O.C. #21076
Broken Montana Recliner

Hello!

I have a 2016 Montana. The footrest on my recliner will not retract as it should. It is NOT electric but is activated by a pull cord tucked alongside the seat cushion. The springs that pull the footrest back into position are broken and I cannot figure out where they go. I’ve attached a link to a short 3 minute video I made to show you exactly what I need. If you have this recliner, it would be WONDERFUL if you could flip yours over and take a few pics of the underside showing where the smaller springs attach. These smaller springs are what pull the footrest back into position. I’d sure appreciate your help. Have talked to Lippert, and multiple others and none can help. THANKS!!

Here’s a link to the YouTube video I made https://youtu.be/iwOZ5Nja6L0

Rick-Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-Sr View Post
Hello!

I have a 2016 Montana. The footrest on my recliner will not retract as it should. It is NOT electric but is activated by a pull cord tucked alongside the seat cushion. The springs that pull the footrest back into position are broken and I cannot figure out where they go. I’ve attached a link to a short 3 minute video I made to show you exactly what I need. If you have this recliner, it would be WONDERFUL if you could flip yours over and take a few pics of the underside showing where the smaller springs attach. These smaller springs are what pull the footrest back into position. I’d sure appreciate your help. Have talked to Lippert, and multiple others and none can help. THANKS!!

Here’s a link to the YouTube video I made https://youtu.be/iwOZ5Nja6L0
Rick,
I managed to take a couple of photos with a camera that we just got back after being missing for two years, so bear with me. If you can locate the outermost bracket with a series of holes and slots in it, that is the anchor end, I believe. The other bracket is near the front of the chair, and I believe that one is the one that pulls the foot rest out. It appears to have a rounded section for the hooked end of the spring, so it helps in the rotation as the mechanism retracts toward the spring anchor point. I have not ever posted pictures to the site, so i will work on that.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Rick,
Further to my earlier reply about the two foot rest springs in the recliner, I have attached two photos that may help in your search.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf recliner spring anchor.pdf (1.58 MB, 77 views)
File Type: pdf recliner spring pivot.pdf (1.23 MB, 61 views)
Old 12-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
Rick-Sr
Established Member

M.O.C. #21076
Thanks so much for the quick reply, Leftie, and for taking the time to take the pics and then figure out how to add them here! Man I appreciate it. Unfortunately I still don’t get it. The pics are clear and good, but I think it might be a different chair or something because I don’t see on my chair what you show in the pics. But they did point to a location that might help. But as I try to fit the spring in there somewhere it just isn’t working for me. But once again, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to help, Leftie. Very kind!
Old 01-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #5
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Rick,
Did you ever get your recline springs figured out ? If there are any other pictures I can send, let me know.

Eric
Old 01-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
If you need new springs you can contact Lippert with the model & year of the Montana and they will send them out to you immediately. The pull cord broke on one of ours last year and they had it to me in 2 days. Of course all the plether is falling off it now so I've just ordered covers to see if I can stop the deterioration for the time being until we figure out what we will be replacing them with.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:40 AM   #7
Rick-Sr
Established Member

M.O.C. #21076
Hey Eric - thanks for following up! Unfortunately I still haven’t completely figured it out. Based on the pics you shared I was able to identify the type of spring it seemed to need so bought 2 from Amazon. Then I fooled around for hours trying to figure out where they went. Finally found a location where the springs pulled the footrest back in about 90% so I’ve settled there for now. But it’s not right and I need to hit it again. So that said, yes sir - a few more pictures would be wonderful! If you could give me an overview shot that would show me the entire bottom of the chair with at least one of the springs in view that would be wonderful. And remember that there are two sets of springs, larger ones that pull the footrest out, and smaller ones that pull it back in again. I need pics of the smaller ones (smaller in diameter and length). I really appreciate it, Eric!

And Speedster100 - thanks for your suggestion as well. I talked to Lippert several times. They seemed willing to help by sending multiple pictures but they either weren’t of my model chair or I couldn’t see enough detail to help me. They also indicated that the particular spring I need was not something they part out. You have to buy the entire mechanical underside of the chair - with the exception of the pull cord that you needed. Go figure - ha! Anyway, we’ll just keep hacking away at it. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #8
Wells

M.O.C. #27406
Found this thread on google and I'm sorry to move it up, but I joined the community just to ask the question. I was actually looking for someone who could tell me if there's a chance to fit a coupled recliner (like here, the problem is they look too massive for the room) for me and my wife in our Montana. Have anyone tried that?
Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Welcome Wells! Many members here have moved to alternative recliners, often wall huggers, due to the pleather deterioration and/or the crappy construction. Lazy Boy seems to be a popular choice. Do a Search for recliners and you should find a lot of discussion. Hopefully someone who has changed out recliners will soon be by to comment.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote