Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
buckshot
Established Member

M.O.C. #13839
No power from Battery to Camper

New Member who just purchased a 2002 Montana Mountaineer, not a fifth wheeler, I have a fully charged new 12 volt battery and it is correctly wired, there is 12+ volts at terminals but nothing works in camper unless I plug into ac land power then things work, I can also hear (when plugged into land power) what sounds like a fan running just under where the fuses are in the hallway so I assume this is probably generator or inverter. Any ideas what might be going on here ?

Am electrically illiterate so answers that understand that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Richard

buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe the fan you are hearing is the converter, which is what charges the battery. Not sure about your model year but on later years there was a switch in the basement area that turned off the battery power to the rig. Some of our more seasoned members may know if that year model has a battery switch.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
By your statement, I am guessing your Mountineer is a tow behind trailer not a fifth wheel.
I would look for a fuse in the battery box, first.
The fan you hear is the converter (like a battery charger).
Next suggest would be to pull panels (fuse) but since you stated you are not comfortable with electrical I suggest going to a shop or have someone who is to help trouble shoot further.
You might give us your location to see if some one on the forum is close by and could do some mentoring.
Welcome to the forum.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Profile says he's in Marion, NC. Do we have anyone near there?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Maybe previous owner installed a battery shutoff switch?
Also look for a shutoff switch in your service area (if you have one).
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
I am in the Greenville S C area and will be glad to help. Marion is about 1-2 hours away. My battery cutoff switch is in the service area.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
buckshot
Established Member

M.O.C. #13839
Thanks one and all for your thoughts, notice two of you indicated a possible cutoff switch in the service area, just where is that located ? I've visually checked all fuses and breakers at the location in the hallway just above where I here what you say is the converter and they seem to all be ok. Once I know where the service area is I'll check for a battery cutoff switch.

Thanks again
Richard
Old 10-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I think there is some confusion here since it appears that your rig is a travel trailer and not a fifth wheel. The advice I gave regarding a switch in the basement probably does not apply to your rig. The fifth wheels have the service areas but I do not think the travel trailers do. Sorry for the misleading advice.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I think there a large RV dealer in Marion NC.

You would think they could tell you if you have a battery disconnect switch.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:33 AM   #10
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142

I think there a large RV dealer in Marion NC

Tom Johnson Camping Center is in Marion NC.

Give them a call.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Please reconfirm that the battery is installed correctly. Checking there is 12 volts at the battery does NOT make sure the rig's cables are connected correctly. If the converter fan is running that's a good sign. You might want to remove some covers to see what is making the fan noise. It could be an inverter (nice surprise) and you'll want to know it' rating and accessibility.

Whether an owner is electrically comfortable or not, one should know how to check the distribution panel. Remove the cover and check the breakers, that they are all in the ON position especially the main one. In fact, to be sure you should turn each one off, then switch it back on. They have been known to stick. Some people turn them off to ensure there is no power to the rig or its circuits. If your rig is 2002 that's way before disconnect switches became popular, but maybe the prior owner put one in and certainly before service panels. Who knows where that switch might be because of this. Maybe you can ask the prior owner or dealer that they got it from.

Another question. Has this ever worked? When they bought their rig, did they get a walkthrough that showed things working?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
buckshot
Established Member

M.O.C. #13839
Thanks, I will call Tom Johnson's since I live close to them. Regarding the previous owner, believe it or not they never used it, shortly after buying it they became caregivers for parent and only grandchildren slept in it a couple of nights. Stickers still on windows, etc. tape on drawers in fridge and stove never lit. He said he only had it hooked to electric power at his house so he would not have known since he didn't run it off battery.

Richard
Old 10-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Then they did use it in that they plugged it into 110v but this does not verify all electrical outlets and lights worked. The battery is required to tow the trailer to its resting place unless it wasn't working and the battery didn't work (required for the electric brakes) and the TV did all the braking.

I'm convinced it's something simple, but need to be there to debug it. That call or trip to the RV dealer should do the trick if this is complicated.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
buckshot
Established Member

M.O.C. #13839
Since I'm going to take this camper to my farm & hook it up to 30 amp permanently does it really matter that the power from the 12v battery is working or not ?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
There should be a fuse in the battery line near the battery box on the tongue of the trailer.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hook beat me to it! It sounds to me that the inline fuse has blown OR may not even be there! We had a situation at our local credit union that we had to repo a Jayco bunkhouse tow trailer and we had to remove the fuse that is in the line between the battery and into the unit to the converter. It was just outside the, it kept draining the battery and we could not open the slides on the unit to show it. Once we got the fuse pulled, it stopped the battey from draining. As you can tell this unit did not have a battery cut-off switch on it. Hope this helps and you get that power you need.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Since it's a 2002 and never used it just might be the battery if shot. I would pull the battery and take on down to Autozone and have it tested and then clean the clamps and terminals. Keep it simple first then work up to the puzzling stuff lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #18
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
A lot of great advice already presented here, Buckshot. I also think it's an inline fuse.

Your question about does it matter is a great one. The only reason that it would matter (IMHO), and assuming you're going to be plugged in full time, is that emergency brakes operate from the battery. If you have a hitch failure towing, you'd potentially have no emergency brakes to slow the trailer when the breakaway cable activates them.

Dave's comment above about the battery possibly being shot is also a possibility. You should have it load tested. When you measured it, was it with the trailer plugged in or not? If plugged in, you may be measuring power from the converter, which is also a small battery charger. If it was unplugged and you measured 12 VDC, then it's probably an inline battery fuse or switch.

Good luck!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 AM   #19
buckshot
Established Member

M.O.C. #13839
Thanks one & all for your comments. #1 the battery is good almost new and tests 12+ volts when camper is unplugged from regular power.

#2 there is a small square box on the tongue and it says on the outside of it 80 amp and it tested also unplugged from land service 12 volts on both sides of box, does this not tell me that it is not a this fuse ?
Maybe there is another fuse there that I'm not seeing.

#3 When I bought it and had a friend transport it to my house he made the comment that the camper brakes were working.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:45 AM   #20
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Buckshot. All you need is a friend neighbor somone that knows how to use a 12 Volt meter or 12 volt test light. Disconect the 120 Volt unplug start with the battery and work your way up stream to the Converter checking for 12V.No rv Tech need maybe your local garage will make a house call
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote