Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
leenbeth
Established Member

M.O.C. #9934
Bent Frame

2007 2955RL has a bent frame just above the Morryde suspension attachments on both sides of the trailer. It looks to me like the reinforcement tubing that was welded in place along the bottom rail of the I-beam is insufficient to resist the added torsional pressure applied when turning due to the lower spring attachment on the Morryde. I've found that Keystone replaced this tubing with two v-shaped gussets welded to the webbing above the suspension hanger. They did this the very next year, indicating to me that they realize this was a problem area. Anyone out there with a similar problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Lee

leenbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Is it possible to post pictures so we know what to look for (not that I'm going out in this crazy wind storm we are currently having!).
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Come one Tom--- what's a little ice, snow and wind to a Michiganite!!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Off topic

Michigander

LOL

Back to our regularly scheduled topic, thank you!

Lee, see if you can figure out how to do a search on this topic, include the Archives. Sorry to hear of your problems.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Lee:

Sorry to hear about your problem. We've been in a similar position and know how it feels to find something as serious as a bent frame. We suffered a severe bending of the frame in that area on the street/driver's side of our 2007 Big Sky during our trip back from Alaska in 2008. We had the frame repaired at a metal fabrication shop in British Columbia and were able to persuade Keystone to reimburse us for the repair cost. They also agreed to check our rig out at the Keystone Customer Service Center in Goshen, where they installed a brace running between the two equalizers to help one side support the other in the event of a heavy load.

I'd recommend you call Keystone Customer Service and see if they can do anything to help with your problem.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OFF SUBJECT-- Carol- Well Excuse me!! LOL Sorry couldn't help it!

Back on subject-- Lee, Carol had a good idea. I keyed in "bent frame" and got two others besides yours and one was by dsprik and it may be a real help to you!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Rondo - I have no issues walking around in it, driving in it, or even shoveling it, but I draw the line at lying down in it!! And unless I tip the trailer on it's side, that's the only way I'd be able to tell.

I still hope OP can post pictures so when the spring thaw comes, I can check ours!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Same here Tom! When I was stationed up in Michigan, in the UP, we had 13 ft of snow that winter and that was enough for me! We've got about 12-14" on the ground here in Omaha right now and that's to much. As you said I can drive in it, walk in it, and blow it around with the snowblower but don't ask me to crawl around in it. I got used to trudging through it while I was a letter carrier but I'm retired now and I really don't need to anymore and I won't. That's on reason we are heading for Fiji, New Zealand and Australia for about four weeks next month, to get away from the stuff. I know it would be cheaper to head South with the Monte but we're celebrating our 25th and thought it would be nice to head Downunder.
Anyway back to the subject. I hope he posts some pictures also so I can check out mine when it warms up a little. Dave Sprik had some really good one on his thread about frame bending. Search bent frame and you can see them.
Take care and don't get snowbound!!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The term' bent frame " has me confused... Is main frame bent.... I saw Sprik's problem and was with him when it was repaired.The frame itself was not bent. The Mor ryde assembly Had failed and in other cases the brackets had failed were it is welded to the frame.. It would seem that if the frame bent in would be about un repairable..on a RV?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:05 AM   #10
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
There is the possibility of the frame bending in an arch form at the point of the center tandem shackle assembly (Mor-Ryde). This could be from loading to heavily at the back of the unit inclusive of rear hitch weight etc. Normal situations for a frame failure forward of the axles on a fifth wheel; the frame will let go at the hitch assembly first where the frame makes a drop to the main frame (pending size of gussets). Those 10 inch frames will bend with the right stress. Material is very thin, likely 1/8 or 3/16; I was very surprised when I noted this last fall; did not measure thickness but couldn't believe how thin the material was compared to "I" beams under 20,000 lb trailers.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:40 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
8e3K0.. What you say makes sense and there sure is a difference between the frame under a 20K camper and this 3400..no doubt. That they will fail under the right stress is very true and IMO that stress is mainly due to overweight. We have had our 3400 enforced at the hitch assembly and had The Mor Ryde IS system installed to reduce the risk... We also, now that we know what we really weigh, have reduced our weight to within spec's. But... I am still wondering if the "bent frame" issues we read about on this and other forums are really bent frames. We have been told that a bent or rolled over frame on a 5th wheel would be very difficult to repair. If at all... What we have personally seen has been failed Mor Ryde assemblies or failed spring brackets..
Old 12-10-2009, 04:01 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have friends who have a frame issue now , Its very sad, but Lippert is going to repair it. Lippert is sending a repair team to repair the frame issue, not sure if Lippert is sending their repair team of a local repair team. They are in Louisanna. Its not a Montana. The 5er is a 2009 model. They bought theirs the same day we did but we only kept our less than a month and traded it. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:13 AM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If his frame is "bent" like David&Jo-Anna's it is twisted where the Morryde is attached to the frame
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:33 AM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I thought this topic sounded familiar, and sure enough, it is. There are three pages of discussion over on RV.net about the problem. Richfaa suggested the OP come here and ask about their problem. David and Joanna's problem is very similar to theirs apparently. The OP has pictures which they sent to Lippert. Perhaps they will post them, or if they are unaware of how to post pics, let us know and one of us can do it.

Here is the link to the topic on RV.net (Note: Brad is alive and well and posting over there).

http://www.rv.net/Forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23450885/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 AM   #15
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
We had a unit come in where the actual frame wasn't bent but the shackles and the flat part of the "I" beam was bent. Lippert sent a team in and installed reinforcement framing and shackles to fix the problem. Keystone first bucked on the fix but did cover it. I think you can see the "fix kit" on Lippert's web sight. The guy's Lippert sent in really did a good job and knew exactly what they were doing. Hope this helps. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Found the picturs posted by David and Jo-Anna on their problem. Still not convinced that it qualifies as a "Frame failure" There are a lot of things bent and you can see where the mor Ryde assembly tore away from the frame. IMO it was not a frame failure that caused the problem but stress on the Mor Ryde assembly that affected the frame... My point is we hear and read about frame failures and how sub standard Lipperts frames are but I see no documantation that a "frame failure" was the initial cause of the problems. When we had our OEM suspension and Mor Ryde assembly cut off we saw signs of stress and wear on the removed components but the frame was solid. In fact when measured for the IS System the Mor Ryde techs commented that the frame was less than 1/8 inch off side to side along the entire length and we use this thing hard.
Just my thoughts....
Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
I wonder why some competitors with the same RV weights/lenghts are using 12 inch frames instead of 10 inch. I think some of the largest Montanas are running borderline for weight versus modulus of frame. Now if there was a long support beam directly on top of the three shackle assemblies on each side and attached to the frame for added strength then the 10 inch may be suffice, but???
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:56 AM   #18
leenbeth
Established Member

M.O.C. #9934

There are some excellent pix under the "Bent Frame" topic on the Good Sam forum, which depict exactly the problem I'm having. The Morryde units are not the problem as they have remained welded in place as installed. The bottom rail of the I-beam has bent at the attachment of the suspension unit on both sides of the trailer. The I-beam has been reinforced in that area by an 8"x3/4"x1/8" piece of tubing welded horizontally to the bottom rail right above he Morryde on the outboard side of the I-beam only. No reinforcement on the inboard side at all. It appears to me that this tubing is insufficient to provide the strength to the I-beam that is required. Especially since the very next year Keystone did away with the tubing and replaced it with two 8" gussets welded vertically above the Morryde units.
To date, Morryde has agreed to provide me, no charge, an after market crossmember which bolts up to the inside of the suspension units. I have sent pix etc. to Keystone and am hoping they will step up and pay for the frame straightening and installation of the crossmember.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #19
leenbeth
Established Member

M.O.C. #9934
I would be glad to attach a picture or two, but can't figure out how on this forum. Any tips?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #20
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leenbeth

I would be glad to attach a picture or two, but can't figure out how on this forum. Any tips?
Short answer is: re-size to 640 X 480 or so, upload to a picture hosting site (I use tinypic.com but many work), the upload will give you a URL that you can the use in your post.

Let's say the URL returned is:
http://i27.tinypic.com/2vdjte9.jpg

Embed the URL between the "tags" "[IMG]" and "[/IMG]" (without the double quotes of course), so it looks like this:

[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/2vdjte9.jpg[/IMG]

and include it in your post. When your post is displayed, the software will automatically go and locate the picture and display it in the text message.

If you like, you can send the pictures to me and I will post them for you. Send me a Private Message (PM) with your e-mail address and I will get back to you.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote