Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #1
pacbj
Established Member

M.O.C. #23907
Bad switch?

Camping in our 2019 375fl HC this past wknd and the awning lights quit working. Upon further investigation of the rats nest behind the control panel, neither the electric or gas wh switches light up nor do they work. Our tank level lights will flash for a second then go out. All of these have one wire that goes to a “multi wire connector” for lack of a better term. If one switch goes bad, could it knock out the rest of these things? Or maybe the connection box is bad? I’m at a loss. Looks like there is power to but not through the awning switch. Porch light is connected throught the same box and it works. 🤷🏻 Help!

pacbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Really doubt that you have bad switches as excessive arcing or wear of contacts inside is what kills them. Expect that you really don't have 12vdc going to the high current draws like water heater due to poor connections on 12vdc side or the ground side. Trust you didn't turn off the isolation switch in the convenience center and just run down the battery/ies.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
One switch should not affect power to the other switches. My guess would be that that wire is not making good contact in the "multi wire connector". A voltmeter should be able to tell you which wires have voltage and which do not. One of the 12 vdc light probes with a sharp point you can penetrate insulation without hurting the wire is great for that kind of troubleshooting.

https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Conti...52187988&psc=1
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #4
pacbj
Established Member

M.O.C. #23907
Fixed

Thanks for the replies. I ran it down last night and found that the lower portion of the 12v buss bar in the panel is weak. 1 12v wire fed all these devices through the multi connector. It had 12.4 volts through it and every other wire coming out had 13.2. Less than a volt! I moved the wire to a new position on the hot buss bar and voila! Good as new. Just have to hope the rest of the panel doesn’t shoot craps now I guess…
pacbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:20 AM   #5
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
I have an awning that operates intermitenly .. playing with the switch makes it work. I suspect the switch in the control panel. How does it come out? Don't want to break the control panel plastic that holds the switch in place.. please help
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:39 PM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo123 View Post
I have an awning that operates intermitenly .. playing with the switch makes it work. I suspect the switch in the control panel. How does it come out? Don't want to break the control panel plastic that holds the switch in place.. please help
If your panel is like ours, you can take the panel off using the screws in the corner, pull the wires for the switch, then the switch will pop out back to front. There are small projections on the side of the switch which hold it in place when pushed into the square hole.
Just a thought, take a picture of the wires before you remove them to make sure you get them back in place the same way.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote