Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
Csmoreau
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29160
Dometic fridge

I have a dometic fridge that I'm sure is the original 2011 381flws came with. So I noticed the fridge inside has frozen coils(?) And water dripping from inside top. Any ideas what I should do or just replace?

Csmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Most RV fridges are not self defrosting, you have to shut them off and defrost when ever the fins get covered with ice.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #3
Csmoreau
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29160
Thank you
Old 09-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Make sure you put lots of towels in it before you defrost.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:01 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Some good advice from the previous two posters. If it is still cooling you don't need a new unit just some good preventive maintenance. I have an older Dometic unit probably similar to yours. A few things I have learned over the years to help the fridge. The more you are in and out of your fridge, especially during high heat and humidity the more ice your going to build up. Hated when someone told me this, but knowing what I want and where it is inside the fridge before opening the door is most helpful. The less time the door stands open the less cold air lost. Check your door seals. Close the door with a dollar bill between the door seal and the face of the fridge box. You should feel some resistance as you try to pull it out. Test in several places around the door. If there is no resistance the door isn't sealing completely and leaking air causes moisture and ice build up. The vinyl wrap over the magnet that makes the seal tends to lose some of its' pliability. Take a hair blow dryer and move it slowly over the vinyl as you pull out on the seal. This helps restore it to it's original shape and pliability. Slow process but it works and is worth the effort. Some have suggested a very light coat of Vaseline on the face of the seal helps. I've never used this method but it may be worth a try. Unfortunately drain tubes out the back of the box are cheap and deteriorate over time. Insure your drain tube out the back of your fridge is intact and has a drip loop in it and that there is water inside that drip loop. If there isn't you have a direct line for outside air to enter the box 7X24. The last thing I did, and it probably helped the most, was install a 12volt, 4 inch, computer fan inside the fridge. Wired it to the hot side of the door light switch so it runs constantly. Moving air inside that box really cuts down on both moisture and ice build up. Hope this helps and let us know your results.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #6
Csmoreau
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29160
Thank you, I'm checking it all out now.

Cindy