Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2021, 06:53 AM   #1
CDS1
Established Member

M.O.C. #27770
Residential Refrigerator Bracket

I discovered a leak from the rear of the residential refrigerator so I was looking to remove it. The bracket on the left side was just hanging with the screws in it. Once the refrigerator was out there were two sets of holes where the bracket was attached, the problem is there is nothing behind the wall to screw into.

My question has anyone had this problem and what was the repair. Thanks for any input.

The unit is a 21 Montana 3121RL

CDS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Like everything else in these Montana's EVERYTHING has to be reinforced, restrengthened, or rebuilt. While you have the refrigerator out, get some lumber and build a new frame inside the cabinet where the refrigerator sits. Start from the floor up and wedge everything in tight. Make one additional new structure firmly connect to the adjoining part so the entire new structure is self standing and self supporting. No dependency on the trailer walls. Anchor to the floor, then use very short screws to anchor to the styrofoam wall. Liquid Nails works great too.

Then attach the refrigerator to the new construction. I did this with the main closet when the entire shelf and attached cloths bar collapsed (on our very first trip), and also in the cabinet where the washing machine and dryer sit, since neither the washer or dryer is sitting on the floor, but on a shelf, directly above the water heater.

Sometimes, you've just got to rebuild these campers, or at least part of them to make them truly functional (and strong). ... No, I do not depend on the aluminum studs. I build from the floor up. So far, everything has performed well after my various rebuilds.

(as I write this, we are getting the washing machine and dryer installed). I took 3 days to reinforce the cabinet where they will sit, including painting the inside of the cabinet where it was raw wood, and the new supports holding the shelves up. It was a lot of measuring, cutting, and fitting, but those shelves will be holding some weight and bouncing down the road through an earthquake. I built that sucker strong!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #3
CDS1
Established Member

M.O.C. #27770
I never thought about building a frame on the wall, that sounds like a great idea. I will take a look at it tomorrow to see what materials that will be necessary. Thanks again for all of the details in the reply to my post.

Not real sure why they didn't plan for some backing material to screw this bracket into during the design of the slide. Really disappointed to find there is nothing holding the refrigerator in. I suggest everyone take a look at the brackets to make sure they are secure.
CDS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:22 PM   #4
Atoka-Dave
Established Member

M.O.C. #13477
We just got home from a camping weekend and found the residential fridge was askew in the spot. Looks like the bracket broke away from the back wall. This is gonna have to go to the shop as I can’t manhandle the fridge out of that spot and then get it back in there.
Atoka-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:19 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Use the search function for a thread “bracket for refrigerator” by member JDarwin (screen shot below). He shows pics and explains glueing and screwing a plywood backer behind the fridge. Then the fridge bracket is anchored to the plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26250A71-017A-4C39-B8A5-710DD5180BC8.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	13006  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:05 AM   #6
Dwilson@wi.rr.com

M.O.C. #30660
That will cost a fortune.
Dwilson@wi.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 06:10 PM   #7
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Ours totally fell out of the slide! the entire bracket pulled out of the wall. They moved it over slightly and re-screwed it back to the wall. So far its been good.