Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
Pmedic

M.O.C. #21241
.030 skirt metal

Blew a tire out 2 months ago which ripped the skirt metal pretty bad. Trekwood want 189.00 for the metal and 350.00 for shipping. That’s crazy. Does anyone know where I can buy a 16 foot by 31 inch piece on the east coast. Live in NC.

Pmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
In a similar thread earlier this week -
Theunz Montana Master said - I would cut off the crumpled metal and take whatever straight piece is left to a sheet metal fab shop and see if they could bend a piece to that same contour.

That is what I would do. I would call some local commercial HVAC contractors and tell them you need to purchase a piece of sheet metal 16’ long and find out where they buy it. Then ask who they use to break and form sheet metal for their ductwork...this might get you headed in the right direction.

I will check with some of my subcontractors tomorrow and see if they have similar suggestions.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Pmedic - I checked with a drywall subcontractor on one of my jobs about the sheet metal (large pieces). He is bidding a project to me in a couple of days where we will be building walls around some switchgear that is located in a crawl space. The walls are covered with sheetmetal on the outside...cheap metal siding!

He said he always goes to a local sheet metal company to purchase the sheets. The sheet metal company's primary business is making sheet metal ducts for local HVAC subcontractors. He did not have any pricing for me yet - but he said this company and others like it can bend and break the sheet metal to whatever shape and size you want.

Sheetmetal for ductwork has a galvanized finish. You should inquire if the company you find has sheets with a primed finish. Galvanized metal has to be treated before it will hold paint - and I do not remember what the process involves. If you can find a primed piece it will make the paint operation easier.

Followup edit:
FYI...Pricing for sheetmetal material from my drywall subcontractor (just for a reference point) The cost for 16ga 4’ x 8’ sheets is $69.00 plus tax - so that translates to ~$2.16/sf+tax. He was buying 2000 sf for this project. Smaller quantities may cost more. The bending/breaking would be additional cost.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
My comments from a previous post on same subject: A local repair guy bent a piece of flashing material and painted it to match. He stated he never orders OEM. Shipping is way too high and it always gets bent in shipment. Solved my problem. Don't know where you are at but I'd check around.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #5
Pmedic

M.O.C. #21241
Thanks for the Info. Talked to a HVAC guy today and the longest piece that he knew of was 12 foot. Replacing the whole thing as a single unit has to be 12 foot 6 inches. Going to check with a company in Raleigh tomorrow that sells sheet metal stock to HVAC companies, Maybe they have it so I can buy in the length I need. Thanks again
Pmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #6
dadnjesse
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17519
Trekwood in my opinion are crooks. I found my local dealer to be cheaper, and you don't have to pay for shipping.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:34 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
A couple RVs back I needed a piece of siding material after some damage. A local RV dealer charged me about $35 for a 4x8 length plus about that much for shipping. Trekwood - ridiculous!! I whanted to replace the squealing bathroom door hinges on the current 5er. Six bucks for 3 hinges, $35 for shipping. Needless to say that Home Depot has better no mortise hinges for a lot less dollars though were out of stock for the brushed bronze color - but so what. They don't squeal!!

Check your local RV dealers - they can probably get exactly what you need and at a reasonable cost
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:38 AM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
the price you are being quoted isn't really that bad. start googling what a 16 foot piece will cost you.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #9
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
When I installed the new steps in our Montana. I just went to a metal supply house got the metal and rolled it myself after I pulled the old steps out. Painted it to match and all good. Trecwood is very expensev.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #10
Ozarkwoods
Established Member

M.O.C. #26357
A thought, how about a seamless gutter company they have that in rolls now I don’t know if it would be wide enough.. just a thought