Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2017, 07:52 AM   #21
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Rohrmann---Thanks for the reply to maintenance of the wet-bolts. Hope everyone is doing it!

timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #22
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Glad you were able to get on the road. Nothing worst then a delay or mishap. Have had my share. Just a note, I posted in general discussion about checking your "Rubber Suspension Spring" located between the two leaf springs. These get old and dry out and will crack. Mine looked like a old worn out motor mount. Just another thing to look out for.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #23
ratherbee
Established Member

M.O.C. #12866
Wet bolts falling out

I can't believe it!!!
My husband Artfuldodger, is now preparing to replace another wet bolt that fell out on our 2017 3720 RL that we have had for less than 2 years. This will be the 3rd one that has fallen out. The first one was replaced at home after we returned from the Fall Rally in Goshen last September. The next one fell out when we were in Mexico in March and now we have another one missing on a different wheel. We were sent replacement parts for the first one with extra bolts, but the plate had to be replaced with a big washer in Mexico temporarily until we can get back home to Ontario and get another kit. Now we have to get another big washer and rebuild again.
This sure makes IS sound more and more worth the money. We are not full timers and it seems like a big expense for 3 - 4 months of traveling, but how many times are we going to have to do this? We are fortunate to be able to do it ourselves for the time being.
ratherbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #24
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I would put blue threadlocker on the nut, if it wasn't done before. My rear most wet bolt on the streetside broke in half last late october. Now have a grade 8 bolt and two nuts on in order to make it to morryde at the end of may. And I always greased twice a year, so crap just happens sometimes. Putting my hopes with the 8k i.s. system.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #25
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
I used blue threadlock on all shackle bolts the 1st time I had to replace the correct track yellow plates and bolt. Still had two more fall out along the way. Am now using lock washers and red threadlock. I hope they'll hold till I can get home and remove this crap suspension and replace with I.S. Montana only used this Lippert Correc t track for 2 model years so I guess they had lots of similar complaints about it. The Solitude 5th wheel has the same system, so this is a Lippert failure more than a Keystone failure. Every year we go on the factory tour I strongly suggest that Montana replace the 7000 LB AXLES AND DRUM BRAKES with I.S. and disc brakes, as many owners are paying thousands to do just that. the answer ? ---- CAN'T BE DONE! Well it certainly can be done and unless it is, I'm buying a brand that is doing it. I am not buying two brake and suspension systems again.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #26
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I.S. and disc brakes should be an option. They tell you there are option packages that are mandatory but don't give you options you can choose. If Keystone installed the disc brakes and i.s. it would probably be a little cheaper than aftermarket. These add-ons are becoming so popular that i suspect things will eventually change.As for as wet bolts, you could install grade 8 bolts with locking nuts on all shackles and they would probably last longer than wet bolts. There is a lot of difference in grade 5 and grade 8 bolts. There is no perfect suspension but I.S. is the best but much more expensive. Good luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #27
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
Getting IS and discs is under 6000$ when added by the owner. That includes the labour at Morryde for removing the original and adding the new. If it were added at build time you can deduct the two axles, the springs, the Morryde LRE4100, the wet bolts, the drum brakes, the drums, and of course all the labour for the just mentioned parts. If Montana charged an extra say 2000$, their costs would be covered and they would almost certainly sell more trailers. Either Montana is a high end 5th wheel or its not, and right now, its not. Either Montana is an industry leader or its not, and right now, its not. Drum brakes on cars went out of use 40 yes ago, because discs are far safer. Time to move out of the 70's and into the 21st century.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:06 PM   #28
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I agree the drum AND the suspension is antiquated. Keystone needs to make those two options for less and see how many would buy it. Quality always sells, especially safety features for men .There is a large percentage of Montanas sold to 'senior' citizens that don't like to and many cases can't work on them. This is why i had Mor-Ryde install the brakes and i.s. I didn't like the fact i couldn't take my axles and suspension with me when Mor-Ryde took them off but there was no way when i was 1200 miles from home. If Keystone charged 4,000.00 more for the options there would be very few that wouldn't like it.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote