Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
Kiernan's Mom

M.O.C. #26942
Talking New to Forum and Montana Campers

Hello
I am new to a lot of these computer things so if I make a mistake or goof up...an I WILL! please let me know. TY in advanced.
I purchased a 2002 Montana 3670RL about 1.5 years ago, mid winter with a couple of feet of snow on the ground. (Vermont) The previous owner has been great about telling me how things work and what he did to regularly maintain it, etc. Of course I was shell shocked and like WOW! so much of what he said went in one ear and out the other. He was nice enough to keep it in his front yard until the snow left and kept it plugged into an outlet...I think for the frig? or something that needed 12-v power? (This is a blank)
Strangely, there are no books or paperwork with the camper.
In the spring I hired a man to tow the camper to a friend's yard in Lubec Maine. There it sat until last fall when a contractor I hired finished clearing and setting up a lot purchased for the camper. He and his crew were familiar with the Montana line and took right over moving it to the new site and leveled it up and opened the slides. The electric and sewer/water connections were all in place but due to the lateness of the season not connected. The men answered a lot of questions but there were too many of them for me to follow around and so much to learn. So there is much I do not know.
I have had other campers and so familiar with some basics of septic/water systems and knew to purchase the necessary pipes and connectors; but, this camper is so grand!
I stayed in the Montana for 2 nights last fall. I did not connect the waterlines, etc. I unhooked the electric and put stuff away. After I left a friend and the electrician folded the slides in but again, I did not see how it was done.
Of course Covid-19 this last spring and my trip north was delayed. As soon as there was a window for me to slip through we headed North!
Once here a friend's husband came and showed me how to open the slides, etc. There was a bit of excitement opening the camper, people visiting, a very excited kitten and dog! after many hours in the car! Somehow the cat got stuck...with her lead ...under the big bed. Of course at that point I was not paying attention to what anyone was doing! The men wanted to get home! I finally figured the cat was under the bed but OK and allowed them to move the slide as I listened to make sure the cat was ok as the bed moved. How she got under there is a mystery. The only place she could have gotten through tells me she was really panicked. After everyone left and it was quiet, I raised the foot of the bed and move the plywood enough to get her out. Her leash was tangled. I was able to unsnap it and free her. Got the lead free of the works down there and luckily there was no damage to the slide or cables...In my panic I really don't remember what was in there! But all is well.
I know the unit has an antifreeze pumping system which sounds fascinating! and I think I am prepared to tackle that job. I know to turn off the water, Water heater (let it cool and release the pressure thing) and I have a special wrench for the anode and am prepared to take that out too
I ran into the bypass system while opening the camper last spring (How did we ever survive without YouTube? and cell phones?) I have been blessed with friends who have talked me through a lot of things and it has been an interesting Summer/Fall.
Now it is time to close up and head South, back to Vermont!
I'd love to call the electrician back as he too knows a lot about campers to move the slides; alas, Covid makes it difficult to cross the border. Praise God, the other night a man called who owns the campground and has very graciously agreed to come and show me how to fold the camper up and make sure I have things stored correctly. All things turn to good.
I have many questions and blank spots to fill and am truly thankful for all the people who have helped me; the members here who have written about their Montana experiences and really care about these magnificent campers. I so love this little home and want to keep it in tip-top shape. I look forward to participating in this group as I can.

Kiernan's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! As questions as you have them and folks here will try and help.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:54 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Welcome to the group! It is a little overwhelming at first, but you'll get the hang of it in no time.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
Kiernan's Mom

M.O.C. #26942
TY this will be my home for the long haul...but seditary!
Old 09-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Welcome to the forum
I would get a 3 ring binder with dividers. Label the tabs for different tasks, setting up checklist, moving checklist, electrical systems, plumbing, etc.
As you learn things write them down and put them in your binder.
This is especially useful for things that you don't do very often so you don't miss a step.

Enjoy
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:39 AM   #6
Kiernan's Mom

M.O.C. #26942
Thank you to all who responded. I love th I s camper and the location in Lubec ME if anyone is in the area let's have coffee!
Old 06-12-2021, 03:48 PM   #7
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Hello and welcome to the site which I'm sure you will enjoy. Lots of assistance available here by a number of people. Enjoy your new rig and be safe out there!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:38 PM   #8
81SHOVELHEAD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28894
Welcome
Lots of knowledge here on this forum. Ask away & someone will have an answer or guide you in the right direction to find an answer,. Enjoy.
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:37 AM   #9
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan's Mom View Post
Thank you to all who responded. I love th I s camper and the location in Lubec ME if anyone is in the area let's have coffee!
So glad you’re loving your 5th wheel. I love Maine. We lived in Kenduskeag for a while. We miss New England. Enjoy!
2020 GMC 3500 Crew Cab Dually
Marilynd is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning, new member, rough start, winterizing