Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
twistedroutes

M.O.C. #26416
2020 mhc 377fl

New trailer, love the features we are using and the 10th anniversary interior is beautiful. A few niggles.....

1. Electric Water Heater did not produce any hot water after 4 hours. Gas did...
- gas started making a noise now though, so we turned that off. Propane running out?
- is no thermostat control for water heater temp?

2. TV lift's out behind fireplace.
2a TV is mounted crookedly. higher on right than left
2b lift doesn't raise TV high enough to expose remote control sensor on TV so remote control can't be used.

Can't correct this myself because they use TORX PLUS (TP15) self tapping screws (8 points vs 6 points on the regular TORX, and I can't find them anywhere) to mount to the lift mechanism.

3. Furnace heats kitchen and front living only, little/no heating air flow in furnace diffusers in bedroom.
- great volume of air in the rest of the coach

If anyone has any thoughts on 1,2 or 3 I welcome it. We're trying to resolve with the dealer but they say we are "out of their mobile service area" (they are 175km away from us in Ontario, Canada)

twistedroutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
First, welcome to the forum! It is a great place to learn and share.

For electric hot water heater make sure the switch outside under the water heater cover is on plus the switch inside.

Not sure where to find your torx driver - might check the internet. Search the forum - folks will provide help on adjusting the TV so that the remote will work.

You can remove the panel in the pass through to get access to the furnace. You may have a tube from the furnace disconnected. Another option is to remove the registers with high flow and replace them with registers that allow you to restrict flow.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:51 AM   #3
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Not sure of all of your issues, but the 8 point screw can be removed/installed with a square (4 point) driver. These can be commonly found at a tool supply store. I would think Lowes, or Home Depot would have something like it.
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:07 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
What Jeff said. Also, I've had luck in the past using an Allen wrench if you have one that will fit. Just be careful not to strip the screws.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! Ditto on the outside electric water heater switch it's small and black and usually mounted on the bottom left when you open the cover. Also agree on the furnace. Once you remove the basement wall you will see the furnace connections. A disconnected one is fairly common.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Welcome.

Try aiming remote at the ceiling and bonce the signal off of the ceiling. I remember someone else having that as a fix
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #7
twistedroutes

M.O.C. #26416
Update

The ceiling trick didn't work, but I was able to use a Robertson to remove the screws holding the TV "adapter" to the vertical lift frame.

I then took the TV off and raised the collar for the lift upper stop (raising the screen) and then re-attached the TV.

Water heater issue was caused by the switch on the outside.

Furnace seems to be correctly connected. going to look at getting something to close the vents in the main part of the coach to see if that drives more air into the bedroom... THere is a second duct connected to the furnace that seems to go into the underbelly of the coach.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #8
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I would not restrict furnace duct airflow. Reduced airflow can cause the sail switch to have insufficient flow to make contact. Check the flex duct leading to the bedroom. You will find there is one duct laying down behind the basement wall. This one is to heat your underbelly (tanks and pipes). It is supposed to not be connected to anything.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
twistedroutes

M.O.C. #26416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I would not restrict furnace duct airflow. Reduced airflow can cause the sail switch to have insufficient flow to make contact. Check the flex duct leading to the bedroom. You will find there is one duct laying down behind the basement wall. This one is to heat your underbelly (tanks and pipes). It is supposed to not be connected to anything.
Thanks! I have been unable to find the flex duct leading to the bedroom. Bedrooms are at the back of the coach, furnace is near the front. Seems to be only 2 pipes going from the furnace, one into the underbelly as mentioned and the other going up into an in-floor duct.

This is the 377FL so there are 2 drop frame sections, one for the bedrooms and one up front. My guess is that there is some connection from the in-floor ducting into the bedroom drop frame... just don't know where that is.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Here are some YouTube videos showing the building of the Montana. I don't know what model.
You might see something in the videos that will help. You might be able to find a build video on your model.
https://youtu.be/cV0OZv0bCgc

Tanks at 3:55 and 9 minutes
Bottom insulation 7:20 and 8:35 and 12:38 minutes.
Water line routing/insulation 12:38 minutes.
Racetrack AC ducts 32:42min.

Home with the Hoppers factory tour
https://youtu.be/o0W2PeLlUBY

Bottom chassis. Shows heated duct install @ 1min (down the middle). Old video.
https://youtu.be/j_1JQYSZbmY
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:01 AM   #11
Nmorris

M.O.C. #26845
I have the same unit

1. Have not seen

2.. My tv sat too low for the remote to work, there are small screws at the top of the mount behind the TV that allow it to adjust, don't need to take up the mount? Although now my tv does not drop flush in the lower position

3. 1 furnace vent next to the washer hookup, the heat pump will pump to the roof vents. ...but the ac/heat for the bedroom is horrible. Not enough Ac on the summer or heat in the colder nights. So far I found the collar on the roof vent by the closet almost touched the top of the inside cavity, testing the theory this week but may cut down the collar and reinstall.

I will have the dealer inspect when it goes back after labor day..
Nmorris is offline   Reply With Quote