Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Future Res fridge install ??

Has anyone out there with a 2010-2012 3455sa or 3665re or similar unit, replaced there 4 door norcold fridge with a residential one.

Just wondering about the depth since its only a few inches away from the counter with the slide in.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Most Res Fridges used in our units are called "Counter Depth Units".
You would have to measure from the back of the fridge compartment to the counter with the slide in and go shopping from there. That old of a unit might be an issue depending on the slide configuration. I know our 2010 2955RL wouldn't have been an issue with only two slides and an open floor plan.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Has anyone out there with a 2010-2012 3455sa or 3665re or similar unit, replaced there 4 door norcold fridge with a residential one.

Just wondering about the depth since its only a few inches away from the counter with the slide in.
Beeje,
Before you go through all that, there is another option. If you are happy with the size of your current fridge box, Convert your current refrigerator box into a residential type compressor cooled unit. Power options are 12V DC, or 120V through an inverter, if you have one. I got so fed up with my absorption unit I was looking to go the same residential fridge rout until I found you can just replace your cooling unit in the back of the fridge. I ended up with a fridge that is BETTER than a residential fridge because this is made for RV use and has much stronger components. It has a 3 year warranty, with an option to buy another 3 year extended warranty. I figured if they are willing to offer a 3 year warrenty when the OEM fridge only came with a 1 year, they must be pretty confident in their product. This unit took my freezer to -10 below. It has never been that cold before. My fridge held 35-36 degrees constant in 90 degree outside temp. On my way home it hit 94 degrees outside and my freezer was -8 and my fridge was 36 constant. I have 5 temp settings with 5 being the coldest. My fridge is set on 3. No more traveling with the propane going just to keep my food cool. This unit has a very fast recovery, minutes not hours. From being off and warm in the box (85) this unit cooled to temp in about 2 1/2 hours. Except for the copper tubes coming from the compressor, everything is steel tubing. This unit is extremely well built. Obviously, I am a very happy camper with this unit. Let me know if you are interested in this and I’ll get you the test of the details and the web page.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Curious minds want to know what the web site is for this mysterious replacement?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Curious minds want to know what the web site is for this mysterious replacement?
Tom and Caitlin Morton did theirs. Lots of good info in this video:

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
This is the video that got me going this route. More on their web site. I can’t recommend them enough. Like I said, I’m a happy camper now!
Old 08-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
LOL! Ok, it is JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana IN. Web page is JC-refrigeration.com They also build replacement gas/electric absorption units, but quality is far superior, using heavier gauge steel tubing. I traveled up there from Texas to have them install the unit, then visited family in Michigan. The install took about 3 hours. I had a tour of their shop. Very impressive. I could not find one negative review on their units. If folks are thinking of ditching their absorption fridge for a residential fridge, this is a better option. No mods to cabinets because you are using the box you have. Its actually better that a residential fridge because they use much stronger components. Check it out.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Thanks I'll have to check into this. Of course everybody is going to ask what's the cost of doing this. ?
Old 08-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Thanks I'll have to check into this. Of course everybody is going to ask what's the cost of doing this. ?
Depends on the unit. I have the largest Dometic fridge they make. Mine was $1085, including an inside fan kit and a relay kit. All the prices are listed on the web site and what is included in the price. Its about the same price as a new fridge. They are not cheap but I didn’t find it to be outrageous, especially for what you get. They are built far stronger than what you find in a residential fridge. I have two friends that put in residential fridge. Both of them were nightmares. Most dealers wont work on them because they ate not certified to do so. My dealer told me today they have quit selling them because they cannot service them. People were getting pissed off to find out they have to find someone besides the dealer to service them. My Montana sales rep said Keystone is trying to discourage people from ordering them because they don't hold up and are an issue to service. Ice makers spring leaks etc. They cant take the bouncing around. Just not strong enough.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I always wondered whether residential fridges could encounter all of the shock from running down the road. You state the cost of this is the same as a new fridge. I have a four-door norcold I think it's a 1200 maybe 12:10. Those fridges are approaching $4,000 for a new one. My ten-year-old fridge is still functioning okay
Old 08-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Old 08-12-2020, 10:37 AM   #12
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Vacationer, Residential fridges have been used for many many years in motorhomes and proved reliable. Of course, they have way better suspensions than trailers unless you have the morryde IS like many of us installed. I installed my residential fridge after my rv fridge developed a leak and caught fire. I can pull my fridge out of its enclosure without a lot of problems and it can be moved out the door of the montana, if i remove the fridge and freezer doors first. So i have no issue if i ever need service on it. Of course since it was only 25% of the cost of a 12 cuft rv fridge, i can just recycle it if it goes bad and still be ahead of the cost curve. I did have it move my fridge enclosure 6 inches rearward to clear the island when the slide is closed, but that just meant space for cookie sheets, etc on shelves beside the stove and oven.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #13
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I just realized after watching the video that both the freezer and the refrigerator of the new unit is a manual defrost type. That's unfortunate.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #14
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
I just realized after watching the video that both the freezer and the refrigerator of the new unit is a manual defrost type. That's unfortunate.
I haven’t had any big problems with frost or ice. The fans they install in the fridge keep my fins frost free. Freezer gets a little frost but has never been an issue. It still operates off the original control board which has an automatic defrost cycle. I think the Norcold has the same thing.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #15
Oldharley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21684
i did a swap from a dometic 4 door to residential. it wasn't in a Montana but i would do it again. the key is the vertical height. measure your width and i think you can find several residential fridges but they were all taller than the dometic. i had a drawer under mine that i was able to remove and the residential refrigerator fit with 5 " above the fridge that i need to clean up. install an inverter with pass through 120v and auto transfer and as soon as i unplug the rv the fridge runs on battery. so much more space in the residential fridge.
Oldharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #16
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I don't even see what was holding that unit in. On mine, there is a large heavy piece of iron running along the hinge space between the ref & frz doors. It's bolted to heavy iron pieces that are attached to the back wall. I've heard of some having the screws come out of the back wall. I checked mine when I had the unit out and they seem very secure. Very unfortunate event. There is a chance that the doors of the unit are damaged and need replaced. When I worked in the industry few years back, sometimes LG and Samsung doors are no longer available.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #17
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Quote:

I just read an article where many of the RV dealers will no longer be ordering RV's with residential fridges. They claim they cause too many problems and their service technicians are spending too much time trying to troubleshoot and repair the problems.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote