Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I use the orange awesome full strength on the really bad stuff like the caulk. When the front cap is really buggy I set it on spray and let the cap have it. I have a bucket of dawn dish soap suds nearby and after a short time use a truck wash brush to wipe it down. If it is real bad it may take a couple of applications.. The real hard ones are the bugs that are baked on..That may take some direct application and some elbow grease. We have been using the awesome for a very long time as well as other "orange" stuff with good results. Oh..It is best NOT to do this in direct sunlight or when the camper is hot. There is also a clear awesome and we note no difference.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #22
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Rich,

Thanks for the information. About not doing the cleaning in direct sunlight or when it is hot wasn't an option for us. It is August in Texas right now I tried to do it early in the morning when the sun was on the other side of the Montana. The glare when the sun it hitting that white background is a killer.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Colleen, we stayed six weeks at Twin Creek and did not have that problem. We were under a lot of trees. Maybe time of year makes a difference.

In any case, I recently had some stains on our cap and out of frustration tried Black Streak Remover. It took these stains right off.

If that doesn't work, I think someone suggested hydrogen peroxide. That would have been what I tried next.

Good luck. Let us know what works, if anything.

on edit -- oops, I see you got it off with Awesome. That's a great product. I'll leave this post in case it helps someone else. At Twin Creek we had no trees touching our rig so maybe that's the difference.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:22 AM   #24
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Steve & Colleen

Times of the years, types of the trees and Mother Nature, sure can make a difference!!!!

This year at the lake we were parked under some kind of Elm, diseased elm!! GRRRRR!

In less than 18 hours the truck, trailer, van and boat were COVERED with dark ash (we think it was campfire ash, lots o campfires in that campground) AND huge amounts of sap, small drips, misty coverage and HUGE blobs (the size of a pencil eraser). As there was no other place to park, we stayed, and paid for it when we got home. The sap was so bad on the boat that we could not use it till we cleaned it there, spent 2 hours cleaning before we could go have fun! The van took one day to clean at home, ditto Big Butt, and the trailer was 2 to 3 days.

We had never experienced ANYTHING like that, and hope never to have it again. Should have taken a photo of the stuff that was stuck to the awnings, UGHHHH! we cleaned off the big one, but the slide toppers, well, we just rolled em up, prayed the gunk stuck to them would not puncture through, came home, opened, and then cleaned.

One word for the entire experience:

YUCK!!!!!!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #25
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Steve,

I tried the hydrogen peroxide or I should say that Bob tried it and it didn't even make a dent in the stains.

We were parked next to the creek with a Hemlock right over the top of us. They had been in a drought so I don't know if the sap and grime had just stayed there and the rain that we got had it all fall on us in the nine days that we were there. The rig is no worse for wear as we have gotten the stains off and the new wax that we had just put on it. That it is all right as I am looking from the positive side that we might not have gotten it off. Hopefully, we will get a chance to get new wax on it before Dean hits. The reason we cleaned and spit polished it as we will be really busy working if Dean hits Texas. Bob is called a Dedicated Adjuster for the state of Texas for the TWIA ( Texas Windstorm Insurance Association)

Duffy, the gentlemen that owns the park told me that he has never had anyone call and complain about the stains we received. I was just calling to find out if they had any suggestions on how to get rid of them.

I will tell you that the Mr. Clean Eraser will take off your skin and that the Awesome full strength will make your hands peel. Of course I had to use the Awesome on the entire back and the desk and kitchen slide.

Carol,

I just love it when "Mother Nature" plays her tricks on you. The stuff below our bay window was crusty and the dirt was really hard to scrub off. When we managed to get off the dirt the stains were below it. I wish I had taken pictures and sent it to Duffy the Park owner. The Monty really looked like a Cheeta.

I must agree with your "YUCK" statement.

I do know that the Awesome and Mr. Clean Eraser will be staying in the Monty with us. If I do run into another campground that I get the same type of stuff I will be using their water to try to do some damage control.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #26
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
We were in the same RV Park back in June. When we returned home to Texas I noticed the many little tan specks on my truck and also on the RV. My biggest problem is that the specks stained the awning and I don't think anything will take it out. The specks will come off the hard surfaces of the truck and RV if you have several hours to spend flicking them off with your fingernail!!LOL Like they say, if you use your RV, things like that will happen. The Gatlinburg and Nashville trip was worth the aggravation of the specks all over everything.
mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #27
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
David,

Are dirt specks washed off and then we had a stain underneath them. The Eraser and the Awesome worked really well on the white RV siding. I would think that you could use some Lysol all purpose cleaner with bleach to get it off the awning. We didn't have any spots on the truck, but it is a Maroon/red color so it isn't showing on his truck if they are there. I guess I should go inspect his truck tomorrow.

Where were you parked in the RV campground?

Heah, we headed for Abilene to visit relatives after we left Tennessee. DH brother is a member of Abilene CC so we got to play two rounds of golf. Nice course, but it kicked both of our fannies
Old 08-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #28
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
I don't remember site #, but it was in back of park. A private residence was located behind us. We loved the park, just not the stuff that dripped on us!
We live about 35 miles from Abilene and have played Abilene CC. It is one of my favorite courses. If you get a chance, play Diamondback. Its a great course also.
mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:19 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We were in a different part of the park than you two. You know that road that goes by the office and then goes on into some residential area as it exits the other side of the park? We were along that road, across from the equipment shed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote