Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
303 on roof--cleaner only? or protectant?

In a recent thread on using 303 protectant, one poster advised not to use 303 on the roof. On other threads, however, I have seen other posters talk about using 303 on their roofs.

What are the pros and cons in using 303 on the roof of a Monty? And does it provide some protectant function, or is it only a cleaner?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The Dicor information sheet that comes with the rig does not mention putting anything on the roof as a protectant. Says to clean it with their product or products such as 409, Fantastic or mild detergents, and not to use solvents or harsh abrasives. With covered storage, I don't plan on putting anything on it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Also, 303 would make for a really slippery roof!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Suggest finding their web site, do what they suggest. Does not matter what we say we do or don't do, do what Dicor says to do.

Al told me one of the reasons they strongly urge you to NOT use anything with orange or citrus is that the bees love the smell and go up there and do all kinds of damage to the roof trying to get a little pollen. Think they told about that at the Rally presentation, I did not attend, so, if I have this wrong, correct away!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
The 303 is also realitively expensive. You can buy alot of things that have been "OK'd" for a lot less mula.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use the 303 on the sides of my coach, but do not use it on my roof. As Rick said, it is expensive and I feel that the Thetfords Roof Cleaner does a great job and much cheaper cost.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Montana Sky,

Do you put 303 all over the sides of your trailer? If so, do you wash it first? Wax it also?

Also I posted the photos of the mud flaps, and a photo of my MC trailer. Interestingly, I have not gotten any suprising comments on the later.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
I use a wash n wax soap on my coach. I first wash the coach, wait till dry and then spray 303 on the walls. Wipe with a dry towel, and stand back to catch any spots I missed. I will be looking for your photos!
Old 10-11-2006, 03:52 AM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I used to use 303 a year or so ago until I called Dicor and they recommended Dawn. So I switched. Dicor said the chalking I was getting was from the 303.

But now I find that is not correct since chalking still occurs. So I am going back to 303 this winter. Wash with dawn and then apply 303.

I find using the 303 makes the EDPM softer.

I wouldn't recommend going against the mfgr but I just have a gut feeling I am doing the right thing. I don't have a roof warranty so I have to be more careful in how I care for it.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:53 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I'm a little puzzled about just what benefit 303 provides. Is it a cleaner? or does it provide some protectant function? If it is a protectant, then is using Dawn the equivalent of using 303? And is Thetfords Roof Cleaner also just a cleaner, or does it provide some protectant function as well?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:05 AM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
The dawn liquid is just a cleaner. The 303 is not a cleaner and only provides UV protection. A little bit goes a long ways. I apply it by hand working it into the EDPM. When your done the EDPM feels softer. I am very sorry I skipped using it for a while.

I have used the thetford cleaner and still have some. Appears to work ok except Dawn is a lot cheaper.

I have heard the old story that EDPM will last longer if you do nothing. Don't know if it is true. I am not going to take the chance.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:17 AM   #12
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
We began using 303 PROTECTANT on our roof when we took delivery of our rig. We use the PROTECTANT after the roof is clean. I may be wrong, but I don't think Dicor was making their own products at that time.
We plan to continue using 303 as a protectant. We've had no chalking -- and I believe this is because of the 303. Our roof is in great condition -- and I believe this is also because of the 303.

If we were to use any other protectant type product, it would be Dicor's. In fact, I may try to find some of Dicor's for our next application -- or at least have a look to see if it's any different than 303 Protectant. I may just contact Dicor and ask them the difference between their protectant and 303's.

What's interesting, at least to me -- is why would Dicor make special products for our roofs if special products aren't recommended?
http://www.dicor.com/

larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dicor started making their own products after they realized how many folks were calling asking what do I use to clean my roof with? Heard that answer while at the rally in Goshen. They were just following the $$$$$ train.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
I use the 303 on anything rubber such as slide seals. I won't use it on the roof due to the expense although I bet it would work very well. The best use I found for the 303 is on my tires. It is supposed to be a good UV protection plus it makes them look great. Seems to last much longer than any other tire protectant I've used.
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:54 AM   #15
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
If those of you recall that attended the rally at Goshen, I still have my notes, they made the statement that dawn dishwashing liquid was all that was needed to clean the roof and no other treatment was needed. They did say that some people insist on doing more so as someone else stated, they provide something for you dollars if you just have to spend it. They cautioned about any product with a citrus and nice smelling, as that is a good indication they are hiding the odor of petroleum products which can destroy a roof. Chalking - is normal and your trailer would rot and fall out from underneath the roof before it wore out do to chalking. I believe someone also stated "who else sees the roof and why does it have to be sparkling clean?" Dawn should be sufficient to remove tree sap but it takes elbow grease.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #16
cjenks234
Established Member

M.O.C. #4868
Here is a really good website, check it out, look around, it has lots of information on it. I use this stuff on alot of things. It will keep your awning looking like new for years!

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=12035051
cjenks234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
At the seminar put on by Dicor at the fall rally they suggested most any mild detergent such as Dawn and there was no need for any sort of protection however if you insisted they would sell you some of there brand name stuff that was no better but would satisfy the need to have a brand name. They even gave a bunch of their stuff away.Although I consider myself a know-it-all I will go with the manufacturere on this one as there is a remote chance that they may know more about their own product than I do.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I will go with the manufacturere on this one as there is a remote chance that they may know more about their own product than I do.
Well said, Rich

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #19
cjenks234
Established Member

M.O.C. #4868
The 303 is a protector not a cleaner. I use dawn on my roof to clean. I use the 303 on it to keep the stains and tree sap off. It makes washing it very easy. I know that my roof would be fine without the 303 on it but I really don't care for using all the elbow grease. (not a big fan of heights) So the less time up there the better and I have never had to worry about stains on my roof and awning, it keeps them looking like new with very litte effort. Like I said it has many uses for it. After treating my life jackets and seats for my boat years ago, it made me a real believer in it.
cjenks234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #20
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
A few days ago, I scrubbed my whole roof with Dawn. It was hard to see where I was washing and it did not touch the many black spots I have all over the roof. Yesterday, I went back with a scotch brite pad and used the amazing pink solution in the link I provided. There was no comparison, with 1/3 of the effort the roof came white again. This product is so mild you can wash your own hair with it if you want. I have used it for years and nothing removes black streaks from an RV better.
Costco Wharehouses in Canada have road shows with this incredible product. I use it straight and it goes a long way. You can also dilute it with water for easy to clean stuff. It is the consistency of butter. I have done the research and I believe all you have to do to maintain an EPDM roof is to keep it clean. You can work hard with Dawn and get poor results or you can use the pink solution and make your roof look new again with half the effort.
//www.pinksolution.ca/
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote