Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
Cable tv problems! Please help.

Hi all,
I need some guidance on cable problem. I’ve Hooked up cable at rv park. Things I’ve done-confirmed cable out of post has signal. Confirmed cable is good. I have a cable circuit test tool. I’ve got signal going into my rv. (2020 3810ms). First time using cable. I have a blue power light on, tv on cable, did search for Chanel’s. Only local Chanel’s come up. On my coach they’re is no booster switch. I get a fault on my tool? I’ve checked and all cables are tight. Pulled receiver out and connection is good. I’m baffled! I’m thinking it’s a switch or setting somewhere but I’m at the end of my knowledge. No tv working in bedroom nor signal in cargo bay. I’ve even checked to see if possibly miss wired to satellite but doesn’t seem to be a problem. Help please.

Tree guy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The most likely cause of your issues is the KeyTV. There's probably a setting you need to change. Hopefully someone who has one will be along soon.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
In my Montana, I had to plug the coax cable into the outside jack, (which is actually is my wet bay ... and not the one that says "satellite") Then, the power booster had to be turned off. Ours is a front living room and the power booster and 12 volt refrigerate lighter plug is actually inside the cabinet beside and down the television on the passenger side of the camper.

There was also a jumper cable connecting 2 coax jacks on that power booster. I left that jumper attached. Both televisions in the camper worked on cable then after I rescanned. My televisions are Furrion televisions.

I'm don't know what that "Key" thing is. I've seen this term pop-up before on threads dealing with televisions, but I have no clue what that is.

Hope this helps. The other option, is the run the coax cable into the camper and attach it directly to the television, which is what we did the first 2 or three outings we had the our Montana when new. I could not get cable to work any other way on the televisions.

It was only by accident I found the antenna booster inside that cabinet, positioned where you absolutely cannot see it just by looking inside the cabinet. After that, everything worked great!

Find the booster, and turn the green light off. Cable should work. Rescan the television.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
Goliath-goes
Established Member

M.O.C. #25708
While at the dealers our satellite connection in wet bay didn’t work. They replace with 3 new units before they got one that worked. Blue light was on all of them but no signal
Goliath-goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Without knowing the year and model of your Montana, it is hard to be specific about solutions. But I am guessing you have a pre-2018 (Key TV system) rig. As you are seeing local channels on the scan, the antenna booster is likely on. Turn it of and re scan. The booster swirch is probably part of the 12V plugin for the bedroom TV.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:42 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Key TV video link
https://youtu.be/8wc70yT5Ne4

If by chance you have the amplifier system, look behind the bedroom TV for a wall plate that has a socket like the old cigarette lighter socket. Next to it is a push button switch. Press it, a green light comes on. Your amplifier is now on. Use this for when you use your antenna. Make sure it is off when using cable or satellite.
When using satellite, we run a cable from the dish through the window to the Wally.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #7
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
See my post above. It’s a 2020 3810ms. I’ve confirmed there is no booster in favor of the KeyTV. There’s many YouTube videos on it from keystone. The 5er is brand new. First trip. I have searched everywhere for a booster.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:36 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree guy bob View Post
See my post above. It’s a 2020 3810ms. I’ve confirmed there is no booster in favor of the KeyTV. There’s many YouTube videos on it from keystone. The 5er is brand new. First trip. I have searched everywhere for a booster.
Sorry I missed the mention of the year/model - my bad.

There is no booster switch with KeyTV. There are a few KeyTV manuals in the Files Section under the category of Systems. Perhaps one will help.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...hp?do=cat&id=3

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:23 AM   #9
QKnot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24001
I have a 2020 330RL. In my wet bay are 2 coax inputs, one for sat and one for cable. Hooking up to cable, I had to set my TV to scan for analog signals to get cable channels at the only park we were at that had cable. Have you tried setting your TV to scan analog?
QKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:43 AM   #10
Lanny1763

M.O.C. #25556
Tree Guy:

When you scanned for channels through the TV, did you tell it to scan Cable or Air (normally the default for channel scan is "Air")? If you left it on Air, then it scanned for channels received through the roof top antenna.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Can I tag along here? I disconnected all of my coax and checked them individually for signal. Can the same coax that runs from the satellite connections in the convenience center be used to connect the park cable into the TV? I mean is it the right kind of coax - it's RG6? When I do not have access to the birds for my Dish 1000.2/Wally? Or is the cable coax different - RG59? Read this somewhere.... Problems with RG6 come when you need them to work below 50 Mhz. They are not efficient in this case and you will need to use RG59. Are cable signals below that?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #12
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Can I tag along here? I disconnected all of my coax and checked them individually for signal. Can the same coax that runs from the satellite connections in the convenience center be used to connect the park cable into the TV? I mean is it the right kind of coax - it's RG6? When I do not have access to the birds for my Dish 1000.2/Wally? Or is the cable coax different - RG59? Read this somewhere.... Problems with RG6 come when you need them to work below 50 Mhz. They are not efficient in this case and you will need to use RG59. Are cable signals below that?
Tag along for sure!! I don’t know the answers to your questions but can tell you I’ve dug into this! I’m trying to just get cable. What I’ve read on sat is that a 25’ max cable from sat unit is recommended. I’ve taken everything apart. The keytv is essentially a booster splitter. It knows the difference between sat and cable electronically. On the back of the keytv there’s cables that go to each tv cable/sat plate in rv. Each cable is a different color. If i run direct i get cable but through the keytv i get nothing. I’ve read this has been a problem for lots of users. There is no switch or anything else needed but either cable or sat in to the keytv. There’s a few YouTube videos on this. I have a multi channel tool that can trace what cable goes where. When i bypass the keytv i get signal. When i tested the keytv unit i get a fault on both cable and sat. I did this by sending signal in and on the out ports on back on each channel. My problem looks like is a bad keytv unit
Old 02-05-2020, 09:33 AM   #13
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny1763 View Post
Tree Guy:

When you scanned for channels through the TV, did you tell it to scan Cable or Air (normally the default for channel scan is "Air")? If you left it on Air, then it scanned for channels received through the roof top antenna.
I did switch to cable and not air. Ran a cable channel search. Nada...all the other pieces seem to be working.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #14
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
I replied below... i replied incorrectly. Still learning this stuff.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #15
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
I have not. I will definitely try this too. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #16
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
No worries. I will keep posting and will send updates as I figure it out and definitely post the answer.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #17
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The KeyTV file uploaded in the field section will steps you thru troubleshooting. Since blue light is on and you can’t get any signals via OTA, cable, or Sat dish then you either have a bunch of coax connections on backside of KeyTV module loose or more likely the KeyTV module is BAD.

Note...if you want to scan for OTA TV channels you MUST remove RV park cable coax ...
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #18
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The KeyTV file uploaded in the field section will steps you thru troubleshooting. Since blue light is on and you can’t get any signals via OTA, cable, or Sat dish then you either have a bunch of coax connections on backside of KeyTV module loose or more likely the KeyTV module is BAD.

Note...if you want to scan for OTA TV channels you MUST remove RV park cable coax ...
Thank you. Yup I went through all of the if this happens then do that...trouble shooting stuff. I’m almost certain that the unit is faulty. Now dealing with keystone to figure out how to get one. 10 minutes to install will take 100hours to get one. I’m going to call keystone now.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #19
Lanny1763

M.O.C. #25556
My problem with the whole setup is not the Key TV, but the worthless Furrion rooftop antenna. I’m less than 30 miles from all the big network towers, yet it can only receive 1 of the major networks. So I bought a cheapy outside OTA antenna from Walmart and get them all!!!
Old 02-19-2020, 07:51 AM   #20
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
Nope. I bypassed the key tv and TVs worked. I bought a booster splitter and bingo! Anything through keytv does not work!