Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #1
David & Wanda
Established Member

M.O.C. #24835
Lippert Level Up Jack Bolts RecommendedTorque

I want to raise the jacks on my 3121RL. I looked on Lippert's site but was not able to find information on torque on OME jacks bolts. Has anyone raised their jacks, if so, what torque did you use?

Thanks.
David

David & Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If the 1/2" bolts have three tick marks on the heads, they are Grade 5 bolts, 75 ft lbs, and if there are five tick marks on the heads, they are Grade 8 bolts, 107 ft lbs. These torques are for plain bolts completely dry, no lubricant on the threads. If the nuts are flange style, apply torque to the bolt, not the nut.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:01 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
52-64 lbs for the attachment bolts. Read all about the installation of the Level Up system in the Lippert manual Here

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:59 AM   #4
David & Wanda
Established Member

M.O.C. #24835
Thanks for all the replies. I will check the bolts today and see what marks they have on the heads. The nuts do have flanges and I have been torqueing the head of the bolt. I also found the manual that Carl n Susan posted but I wasn't sure it applied to OEM jacks since that manual seemed to be for an aftermarket system. However, using that manual I have torqued the bolts to 60 ft.lbs. at present. I think I will give Keystone a call and see if they can help as well. I will post a reply if I find out anything worth reporting.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The aftermarket system is the same as what is installed at the factory. The torque specs are correct for all of them

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #6
David & Wanda
Established Member

M.O.C. #24835
A quick follow-up here. I called Lippert Customer Support (574-537-8900) and confirmed that Carl n Susan was right. The suggest torque was 52-64 ft.lbs.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I moved my rear jacks up about holes. I used a 3 foot breaker bar to break the bolts loose and that was standing on the breaker bar at that. I figure, when I put the bolts back on, no matter how much torque I gave the bolts, It would never be as much torque reapplying the bolts as it took to remove them. I gave the breaker bar all the umph I had and that was that.

I check them occasionally, and I can't budge them any tighter. They've never broken, so I guess they are OK. Sometimes we just over think things. Keep it simple, that's how I did it.

And oh ... that same socket fits my wheel nuts perfect. So, the breaker bar and that socket have become a permanent accessory for my Montana.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:36 PM   #8
Mr Mustang
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25265
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I moved my rear jacks up about holes. I used a 3 foot breaker bar to break the bolts loose and that was standing on the breaker bar at that. I figure, when I put the bolts back on, no matter how much torque I gave the bolts, It would never be as much torque reapplying the bolts as it took to remove them. I gave the breaker bar all the umph I had and that was that.

I check them occasionally, and I can't budge them any tighter. They've never broken, so I guess they are OK. Sometimes we just over think things. Keep it simple, that's how I did it.

And oh ... that same socket fits my wheel nuts perfect. So, the breaker bar and that socket have become a permanent accessory for my Montana.

Was there any thread locker on the bolts?
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:10 AM   #9
oldermanas
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #31141
Have you checked the condition of the bolts? If you haven't used the jack for a long time, it could oxidize and rust.
oldermanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave while at numerous previous Fall Rallies over the years I have attended quite a few of the Lippert/LCI seminars they have put on at the Rally. One thing they have stressed and that is try not to extend the legs any more than 11 inches from the up position. Many folks will do this because of un-levelness (if there is such a word) of the unit on a site or the site being really unlevel. Extending the legs more than the 11" creates unsteadiness and you will feel that while walking around on the inside of the unit. Placement of blocks under the feet of the leveling legs will help with the length the rams will be extended and the movement of the unit. Just keep that in mind when you move the level-up legs which it sounds like you have done already. Good luck and Happy Camping!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bolt, hydraulic jacks, lippert, torque