Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Is this in addition to the other things I've learned to put down the black tank, for example, deodorizer? I'm guessing that the 1/2 gallon of antifreeze does not interact with the deodorant and water already used?

What order do you pour your contents? For example, I fill the toilet bowl with about one gallon of water, put the deodorizer in it, then flush into the tank. I even follow that with another gallon of bowl water. When would one put in the RV antifreeze? Even though I live in Southern California where it's not supposed to get that cold, it's not unusual to get below 32 degrees in some places we've been and I don't want any problems and I like this tip. I'm asking questions for emptying the tank, but I'm guessing just having the RV antifreeze should prevent freezing even as the tank is filled.

What about the other tanks (Grey, Galley)? Is RV antifreeze okay to pour down the sink to prevent them from freezing? When it's that cold I don't keep the fresh water tank filled, in fact, I used to carry water in the fresh tank in case of a needed stop enroute, but I no longer do this since we find ourselves being able to take breaks along our route and we don't need to haul the extra weight of any fresh water in our rig. I'm sure a completely empty fresh water tank is probably not the best way to operate, but not having the weight and water to be worried about is okay with me. Anyone else's thoughts? I do know how to clean the fresh water tank if I ever need to use it, but so far, in eight years, we've not used it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote